PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Cruise Skippers

Pages : [1] 2

DisneylandBoy
06-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Ok - I went to Disneyland about a week ago, and was very dissapointed with my Jungle Cruise Skipper. His name was Steve, and he seemed like he was just going through the motions. He really didn't put a lot into the jokes and didn't do some of the most classic! This made me start to wonder - who do you think is the best Jungle Cruise Skipper (if you know the name) and what makes a Jungle Cruise Skipper good?

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Great topic! It's funny this came up because yesterday while we at Disneyland we decided to catch a ride on the jungle cruise. I didn't catch the guys name, but this guy was pretty funny. He did all the classics and added a few of his own. The funniest was when he hopped up on the engine and started to immitate Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter). Pretty funny guy. Which leads me to the answer to your question. I think a good Jungle Cruise Skipper has to be pretty good at addlibbing(?) Sometimes they get negative reactions from people cause of the corny jokes so they have to think of something real quick to "counter" the joke.

Sophie832
06-08-2002, 08:47 PM
rallymonkey...I also had a skipper that did a Steve Irwin impression. He was pretty good. I don't know if it was the same skipper you had, or if that is a new standard joke they're using.

Now, I am woman, and I'm still gonna say this. The best Jungle Cruise skippers I've had have all been men. I've never had a female skipper I thought was funny. Mostly, their higher-pitched voices hurt my ears over the speaker. Is it just me? I hate being sexist about it, but that is just my opinion.

Gemini Cricket
06-09-2002, 06:01 AM
One of the best Skippers I had was one who pretended he was animatronic. I think I've posted this before, but it was hysterical enough to repeat. He "broke down" part way through the ride. I laughed soooo hard.

Sophie832- I've had entertaining female Skippers. My advice to you would be something I've heard time and time again, 'you just need the right woman...' :D

MammaSilva
06-09-2002, 06:34 AM
not trying to derail this thread but I am laughing so hard I can barely breathe :)..... GC I can JUST so hear your mother saying that to you.....

back on topic, I can't wait to take Brandy on a jungle cruise SOON! we'll take any skipper :)

DLfreak
06-09-2002, 08:56 AM
I will have to agree with you, Sophie832.....I am a female also, and I have never had a female skipper that I thought was good.

LuvDisney
06-09-2002, 09:04 AM
I agree with DL freak and Sophie832, I've never had a funny female skipper. But I have to say the last male skipper I had was very boring, just going through the motions. Very dissappointing!

DisneylandKid
06-09-2002, 10:31 AM
My school is having a showing of all of our student films, and one of them is a spoof on Disneyland (called "Dizzyland"). At one point, it shows clips of the Jungle Cruise with a skipper "singing" to the people (hard to explain). In a closeup, I can see that his nametag says "Maynard." First of all, is this THE Maynard? Second, whoever this was was getting very into it, which made it fun!

bluepearl
06-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I can't remember the name of the best JC skipper I've had, but it was late night and my friends and I decided to get on the attraction since it was a short line. It was the first time I heard the bit about the hippo calling out to its mom if you're quiet enough, and the thing about holding onto children or they'll take them off to Small World, bolt their feet down and make them sing the same song all day! He was hilarious.

Like others on this thread, I have not come across a particularly funny female on Jungle Cruise. Same with the canoes; I haven't come across a female guide that's made me laugh.

heidiwhr
06-09-2002, 01:58 PM
I have to disagree about the funny female skippers. My family was at DL last Sunday, 6/2, and we had the best skipper in quite a while. She introduced herself as "Cupcake" as she was to be our "Hostess", but her name tag said Amanda. As she pointed out each animal she expained "interesting fact...tastes like chicken. Kinda freaky..." It took us about 3 or 4 times to catch on, but by the sixth or seventh time, the whole boat said it along with her. It's now a running joke between my hubby, in-laws, and myself. Kinda freaky....

Gemini Cricket
06-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl
Same with the canoes; I haven't come across a female guide that's made me laugh.
I can't imagine trying to make anyone laugh while you paddled for them around TSL. ;)

Sophie832
06-09-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm not saying that a great female skipper isn't out there...I just haven't found her yet. Not all the male skippers have been funny, but most.

DisneylandKid...I've never had Maynard for a skipper, but I've talked to him at other attractions, and I know he likes to sing on the Jungle Cruise (as well as anywhere else). If he was singing, nametag said Maynard, was really into it, and it is hard to explain, then it has to be the one and only. There is no other Disneyland CM with that nametag.

stan4d_steph
06-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Earlier this year we had a CM (I think his name was Bett, not sure) who did the spiel from Jurassic Park where Dr. Grant is describing the hunting behavior of raptors to the obnoxious little boy at the dig site. He applied it to the hippoes and what made it really funny was that there was a little boy sitting next to him. Well, maybe you had to be there. One of the best Jungle Cruise rides I have ever had!

disneylandfreak
06-10-2002, 09:53 AM
heidiwhr I also had the same female skipper (Amanda?). She was excellent. I told my husband I have never had a good female skipper before now. She rocked!

Hyperboy
06-10-2002, 11:35 AM
I've had good male and female skippers before, but once I was lucky enough to get a Maynard JC. It was definitely a trip down the rabbit hole.

Briarose710
06-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Okay JC skippers (now i've been on that attraction way too may times by the way...) Adam is one of my faves and Kevin (also known as "your skipper skippy) is good. be on the look out in the next couple weeks for a new skipper named Marc (blonde guy skinny....give him a hard time for me)=)
as for female skippers i have had a really good one. incidnetally her name was amanda..i think its the same one every one's mentioned. for the most part though they dont seem to narrate the ride very well....

Allysen1Derland
06-10-2002, 03:54 PM
Does "Maynard" work HM also? I thought Frontierland/Adventureland attractions were seperate! ( I swore they used to be when I worked there:) ) There was a CM with a "Maynard" name tag that chased me outside the HM foyer while making a "claw" with his hand! Of course I was all girlyish, giggling and screaming! What are the odds of 2 Maynards? Still, I enjoyed the "chase"! Anyhow, I think the funniest skippers are the ones who never quite follow the spiel to a "T"! I remember when I was a little girl we had a skipper, who, when passing the tent that has the mother gorilla swinging its baby around, said "Look! It's Joan Crawford with baby Christina Crawford!" Too funny! Not too p.c. though, I suppose! When I was about 17 my boyfriend worked on the Jungle Cruise and everytime I rode on his boat I would beg him to say the line "As we enter banana country, keep your eyes peeled". I don't know why that corny line made me laugh so much! Then again, it was my boyfriend and I was all dreamy and giggled over everything he said! Ah, love!;)

Gemini Cricket
06-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Allysen1Derland
Does "Maynard" work HM also?
Sort of off topic... but...

Yes. I have seen him at HM three times.
Here's further evidence:
http://www.perrific.com/disney/misc/maynard.jpg
:D

Disney Nick
06-10-2002, 05:06 PM
There's only one Maynard I've ever seen at the park. And ya if any guy is making a claw at you in HM its Maynard ;). I've seen him work Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, HISTA, and the Astro Orbiter. Probably something else too, but I just can't remember one of them. He is by far his best at Haunted Mansion; he's the epitome of a CM totally into his role at this attraction!

Hyperboy
06-10-2002, 05:20 PM
OMG! That is like the scariest picture of Maynard EVER! ROFL.... :D :D

mousey_girl
06-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Here is the Maynard website: http://www.maynardhomepage.com/

MonorailMan
06-10-2002, 07:25 PM
I've seen Maynard in the HM, also had him as a host for Mr. Lincon. :)

Disney Nick
06-10-2002, 07:51 PM
Love how this turned into a Maynard post, but what's so bad about that? Anyways I almost forgot Maynard on Indy in the old days. Lick and stick decoder cards! :D

Minnie1955
06-11-2002, 11:49 AM
I had Adam on my last trip, and he really didn't seem all that into it. Maybe he was having a bad day :(

The best skipper I've had was Ryan. He did that croc hunter bit, and the baby hippo calling it's mother thing. He was just overall HILARIOUS :)

Oh, and another good one was Ritt. He did ALL of the trader sam jokes you can think of in a single breath.... awesome.

And I agree... I haven't met any funny female skippers yet either...

MagicBeliever
06-11-2002, 03:47 PM
the best skipper we've had was at night. he paused the boat shortly after we got going, right near the Indy queue, told everybody, "this is what i call the deer in headlights." and proceeded to shine the boat's light directly at the folks in the queue. seeing all of them stare blankly toward the light was quite amusing. i was never aware of this being a typical joke before, and i haven't seen it since.