PDA

View Full Version : Various Questions for quick trip with kids -- first time poster

smb
03-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone. I just found out that I'm going to be spending 1.5 days at Disneyland in April (be there noon to 5pm on Thursday April 5 and all day on Friday April 6). We will have 2 adults and two 4-year old twins in our group. This is the first time with the kids (I went to DL many times growing up). I have been perusing the message boards to get various pieces of information but would love some help with the following:

(1) Tickets: What kind of tickets are the best to buy and where should I buy them? Given the short time we will be at the park, I think we will likely only do Disneyland, not California Adventure. Is there a way to get one of these "early entry" things I've been reading about for Friday? I'm a AAA and Costco member, and am staying at the Residence Inn. Could also purchase on-line if that's the best way to go.

(2) Ride planning: Is it worth it to do some kind of ride-planning thing like Ridemax or something else? If so, which is the best? We are not super-planned people, but the idea of cutting down on wait-times with two 4-year olds in tow sounds great.

(3) We are leaving Anaheim on Saturday and I'm thinking about a character breakfast for Saturday morning before we leave. Any votes on the best one?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can provide.

Bytebear
03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Since you are only going for 5 hours, I would do the 2fer, and do DCA for that day, and DL for the next day. This will save you a day admission, and I know you didn't want to do DCA, this is the cheapest solution.

As for lines, if you use Fast Passes wisely, you don't need to do a lot of planning. Just make sure when you have an open window to get a FP, use it.

carolyn
03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
2) I wouldn't. Depending on how tall/brave they are, 4-year olds can't/won't go on all the rides. I would just relax and let the kids explore and enjoy Disneyland without running around from ride to ride. Just make a mental note of which rides you think they would particularly enjoy and work those in to your time there.

If you do get stuck in some long lines, think of some games you can play (I Spy, how many people do they see wearing Mickey ears, name that tune with Disney songs) to keep the kids occupied.

Have fun!!

samsma
03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Another vote for the 2fer. That will save you some $$. 4 year olds will love turtle talk with crush, and to see the CARS from the movie. There is also Monsters inc, Fliks Fun Fair. They would probably like the Grizzley River Run too. Just enough for your first day.
We LOVED the Lilo& Stitch breakfast at Paradise Pier. Great character interaction, and excellent food.

hrhlaurie
03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
We went right to Disneyland.com to look at all of the rides our 3 1/2 yo might like and saved them to our favorites. It's been so long since I went with a toddler that even though I have been to Disneyland 3 times in the past year I am doing some planning for the rides I think our girl might like. Even though she meets the height requirement for most, we won't take her on many we think might be too much for her. We'll start small and work our way up.

The key is to be flexible and if they're tired or just want to hang in Toontown for a bit to enjoy the experience.

mousemom
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I think that's a good idea to not worry too much about Ridemax but I would definitely get to the park early enough on Friday to enjoy Main Street before rope drop and then do everything the kids want in Fantasyland (starting with Peter Pan of course) while the lines are short. With those rides covered you still have quite a bit of time to hit other rides. I bet they'll love the Jungle Cruise and Pirates. Those could be good to do when the park starts to get busy later on...it seems to me that those lines don't get as long. Maybe one of you can catch Indy while the other one rides these. If your kids are like mine they'll want to ride Pirates twice anyway! I second the Lilo and Stitch breakfast! My kids had a blast there. If they will seat you over by where they do the games with the characters you might even be able to video or take pix from your table. Plan to stay for a while if possible to get in all the activities...I think they have 3 or 4.

mistofviolets
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
(2) Ride planning: Is it worth it to do some kind of ride-planning thing like Ridemax or something else? If so, which is the best? We are not super-planned people, but the idea of cutting down on wait-times with two 4-year olds in tow sounds great.

We really liked Ridemax. We took a different tact than a lot of people we know...our goal was to limit line time (young kid and mom has health limitations.) Anyways...we printed up several itineraries. Then we looked at our options and went from there. We took time for characters and such, then checked our timing and where "to go" next...asked the kids opinions and had fun.

The key to OUR fun was letting go of the "want to see it all, or at least as much as possible" mentality. We figured we wanted an excuse to come back...so we might as well enjoy what we DID do to the fullest.

My 4 y/o liked DCA best BTW...there's a water park there, and she adored the Aladdin musical.

Malcon10t
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Early Entry comes on 3 day or longer park hoppers, so you won't be able to get that with the 2 day hopper or the 2Fer.

I also vote for the 2Fer.

stan4d_steph
03-15-2007, 06:46 PM
If you do a search in this forum on "character breakfast" you'll find a lot of previous discussion about which is best.

Leap for Joy
03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Since it is a school holiday I would expect the park to be very busy on Friday. Because of that, I'd recommend RideMax. On the upside, the park will be open very late that night so you will have plenty of time for a long afternoon nap.