PDA

View Full Version : And the changes were????? [Fantasmic. SPOILERS]

Pages : [1] 2

Rallymonkey23
06-07-2002, 11:07 PM
We just got home from the DLR and saw Fantasmic! I really didn't see any changes in the show. The only thing that might have been improved (IMO) is when Mickey fights the dragon. It seemed to have more special effects on it. Other than that, I didn't notice anything. Did someone else notice anything different?? I know I posted that I heard that some of the animation was different, but did not notice anything in that department. I'm not complaining though, it's still the best show at the resort IMO. I'm just glad it's back.

Sophie832
06-08-2002, 12:11 AM
I think the snake exiting on the side during the flower/monkey part is new. It used to exit the stage a different way. Also, there might have been some changes to the opening monologue, but just slight ones. Ursula is still animated as opposed to a float, so I guess that was a permanent change from last season.

I saw both shows, and the only things that went wrong (that I could tell) were the middle fire on the river didn't catch the gas on fire right away, and the middle pinwheel wasn't spinning in either show.

Also, they had to delay the second show until 10:15. Now, I think this is due to the increased turnaround time. I spoke to a castmember beforehand and he didn't think it was a very good idea. I'm glad Disney execs. had a chance to see the benefit of staying open until midnight again.

I got the chance to stand on the rail right behind the middle light tower. This was also where all the people (including suits) who were VIPs or had worked on Fantasmic, got to sit. It was interesting to see their reactions. Only one of them got into the show...she actually clapped and waved when the Mark Twain went by.

Did anyone notice they changed the opening narration to Believe? Did that just start tonight, or earlier in the year? I don't think I've seen it for a couple of months now.

Two really great shows with Believe in between. A crowded Friday, but overall a great night.

Btw...do you all know Bill? He's the Maynard of Fantasmic CMs!

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 01:02 AM
Yeah, we went to the second show.We watched the fireworks at teh hub and made our way to NOS. Parked the stroller and turned around and saw people rushing towards the ROA to get seats(hard ones at that LOL) Anyways, we got a good spot and really enjoyed the show. I got a little nervous when it was delayed but then figured it was because the shows were so close together. Another reason to stay open till midnight! :D

SteveCJB2001
06-08-2002, 03:01 PM
I didn't notice any changes at all. I've seen Fantasmic! so many times but i could be wrong. It was fun sitting along ROA starting at 6pm. We got to meet and talk to so many cool people around us. Very fun times. But Fantasmic was great.

Not Afraid
06-08-2002, 03:28 PM
I really didn't notice anything "new" (that's hadn't been there before) but another MPer pointed out that Pinocchio is doing the proper Disney point which was cool and new to me. I also noticed green lights streaming from Mickey's "weapon" to the Dragon and lights running down the dragon's neck. That's probably been there for ever, but I never noticed it before.
Maybe I'll catch it again tonight, but Fireworks are #1 on the list - as always.

sydney
06-08-2002, 04:50 PM
As the mark twain comes on stage with the gold firework spinners, the spinning fiberoptic-ish things that the cast members dressed in black hold on the main fantasmic stage I've never seen before. were they there last year? Also, I thought the technical difficulties that kept the second show from starting on time were that the film projector only worked in the center screen for the 1st show, not the side ones. in the second show, I think they got at least one of the side projectors working. unless anyone can think of something else?

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by sydney
As the mark twain comes on stage with the gold firework spinners, the spinning fiberoptic-ish things that the cast members dressed in black hold on the main fantasmic stage I've never seen before. were they there last year? Always been there. [B]
Also, I thought the technical difficulties that kept the second show from starting on time were that the film projector only worked in the center screen for the 1st show, not the side ones. I saw a few minutes of the first show from the side and the projector was working[B] in the second show, I think they got at least one of the side projectors working. unless anyone can think of something else?

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sydney
As the mark twain comes on stage with the gold firework spinners, the spinning fiberoptic-ish things that the cast members dressed in black hold on the main fantasmic stage I've never seen before. were they there last year? Also, I thought the technical difficulties that kept the second show from starting on time were that the film projector only worked in the center screen for the 1st show, not the side ones. in the second show, I think they got at least one of the side projectors working. unless anyone can think of something else?

The spinning fiberoptic things have always been in the show, maybe you saw it on an "off" day.
As far as the projectors, I walked by durring the first show and the projector towards Frontierland was working. As far as the second show, all projectors were working. We sat in the middle the second show. Where did you sit cause I don't know about the projector on Haunted Mansion side in the first show. I did notice that the projector near Frontierland ran slightly faster than the middle one in the second show.

Hyperboy
06-08-2002, 06:08 PM
The only thing I heard was that there may have been new choreography for parts of the show, did anyone notice this?

Besides that, I didn't hear about any changes from when it last left -- even the Ursula is still gone from the show (apparently, it's too expensive to fix the poor popped float).

But I'm glad it's back -- I still get all misty-eyed when Sorceror Mickey appears on the top of Harbor House with the laser beams and the finale music plays...

Gauchograd99
06-08-2002, 09:05 PM
I think there is one change nobody mentioned here... the dragon has a lot more mobility than I remember so I would think they redesigned it. Anyone else see this??

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Gauchograd99
I think there is one change nobody mentioned here... the dragon has a lot more mobility than I remember so I would think they redesigned it. Anyone else see this??

Now that you mentioned this, I think it may have. I'll let you all know what I think when we get home tommorrow night. I'm sooooooooo glad we live close now!! :D

Kevin Yee
06-08-2002, 10:00 PM
I've seen the show in excess of 500 times (no kidding), so I'm on pretty safe grounds, I hope, in proclaiming the show identical after the rehab. There is no Ursula float, but as documented here on MousePlanet this is to be expected - it's pretty much toast. The dragon is the same, the snake is no different, the fiber optics are customary.

Gadzooks, I love this show.

Disneylandman
06-08-2002, 11:12 PM
That is so weird...

I have seen the show SO many times and I have never seen the fiberoptic effect in my life. It was really cool. Also I thought that the dragon had a better dying effect and it seemed that its mouth moved better with the laughs. I don't know

Some one else said that the fiberoptics only went on when there was no mark twain and the characters would just dance around the island. Have they really always been there??????

Polar33
06-09-2002, 03:32 AM
I'm completely with Kevin on this one...I've seen the show a few hundred times myself (not like I'm complaining :)), and know that nothing much was changed since it left. I was happy to see the Croc float though. It only made it to one of the three dress rehearsals...so I'm expecting it to most likely apear sporadically throughout the summer.

For a while they only ran the fiberoptic wands during the times when the Mark Twain was not running. It was written however for the fiberoptics to run on the island with the Mark Twain. Thankfully someone in charge decided to run the show by the book.

As for the delay for the second show, it was in fact due to the stage left projector (Golden Horseshoe side) which didn't want to work for the first show. Someone from maintnence had to wait for the first show to finish before they could go to the island and find out what the problem was. Otherwise they would have been ready to go at 10.

cemeinke
06-09-2002, 08:03 AM
Last night we prooved our Disney Geekiness again by watching Fantasmic from the sidelines by the Wagon Ho French Fry Cart. This is absolutely one of the worst spots to view the performance, but a great place to get a glimps of some of the "back stage" workings of Fantasmic.

It was a blast, we got plenty of reactions from the cast about to go on. King Louies Monkeys struck several posses for us, the characters on the Mark Twain likewsie were going all out. Best of all though were the pirates on the Columbia, they were having a great time "arrhhging" and wavig their swords - I swear I felt like one of Wendy's brothers wanting to be a Pirate, they sounded like they were having so much fun.

Anyway this was a nice variation for a Disney Geek, and a great way to really appreciate the talent and energy of the cast.

DLfreak
06-09-2002, 12:42 PM
I saw it on Friday night!!!! :D It was exactly the same as I remembered. I can't wait to go see it again.
And I have to say it seemed like they were doing a pretty good job with the crowd control. :)

One thing I thought was funny, was that Peter Pan appeared to be a female, but that's not a bad thing. I just had to chuckle. ;)

Disneylandman
06-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Disneyland has at least one female peter... something to do with the flips and stuff she does during the scene

tinkfreak
06-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy

But I'm glad it's back -- I still get all misty-eyed when Sorceror Mickey appears on the top of Harbor House with the laser beams and the finale music plays...

Harbor House, huh? Wouldn't that be a little difficult?:D

I'm glad it's back too. Can anyone tell us more about the changes in narration in Believe? I'm curious.

944Lifer
06-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Last night we prooved our Disney Geekiness again by watching Fantasmic from the sidelines by the Wagon Ho French Fry Cart. This is absolutely one of the worst spots to view the performance, but a great place to get a glimps of some of the "back stage" workings of Fantasmic.

It's still better than watching from Tomorrowland...but at least you can still see the sky light up during the finale. ;)

I've watched from Big Thunder Trail a few times myself. I must agree with everything you said; the Cast seems to love the interaction when they aren't busy with choreography, and little kids love getting waved to by pirates, monkeys, and princessess. I've seen a lot of kids there with their parents...I just hope these kids have had a chance to see the show from a "proper" vantage point! I'd hate to have them miss out on all the effects!

Now comes the real question: I haven't ridden the Jungle Cruise at night for quite some time...have there been any changes to the "Fantasmic" performance that occasionally takes place at the back side of water? :D

Matterhorn Fan
06-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DLfreak
One thing I thought was funny, was that Peter Pan appeared to be a female, but that's not a bad thing. I just had to chuckle. ;) Though the character or Peter Pan is a boy, in the theater he's always played by a woman.

Ace
06-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy
I still get all misty-eyed when Sorceror Mickey appears on the top of Harbor House with the laser beams and the finale music plays...

I haven't seen Fantasmic since I was 6 or 7.... but I plan to see it this summer, and I highly doubt that this won't happen to me. Well, it happens all the time at Disneyland... but moreso here.

cstephens
06-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Disneylandman
Some one else said that the fiberoptics only went on when there was no mark twain and the characters would just dance around the island. Have they really always been there??????

The fiberoptics have been there, if not always, then for quite some time. There are quite a few people, non-CMs, who know the choreography to that bit.

Sophie832
06-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Someone mentioned how great the crowd control was on Friday night, and I thought I might add a point on that.

I spoke to a CM before the show, and he said there were a lot more crowd control CMs than normal due to that being the first night of Fantasmic, and the 9 to 10pm turnaround. He said that normally there will not be that many CMs (as we all know, cutbacks have led to less CMs in many areas). I also found the crowd control to be wonderful on Friday night, but I wouldn't count on that in the future.

Hyperboy
06-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by tinkfreak

Harbor House, huh? Wouldn't that be a little difficult?:D

Well whatever the hell that structure on Tom Sawyer's Island is called. You know what I mean. ;) Is harbor house that structure with the "urine yellow" (as Al calls it) McDonalds mural?

Rallymonkey23
06-09-2002, 11:31 PM
I think I may have noticed something new tonight. In the first show at the end where Mickey says, "Some imagination huh?" alot of smoke was surrounding Mickey and I noticed the spotlight on him was in the shape of a star. Anyone notice this before?? Oh and Gauchograd99- I couldn't tell. You may be right. Seems to move alot now though.