PDA

View Full Version : Best Airfare?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kadiehl
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I am not having airfare included in my disney vacation package this time. I am just going to call WDW travel for the hotel and tickets.

Where are the best places you guys have found great deals on airfare?

We will do Magical Express. But just need advice on the airfare stuff.

Thank you!!

ChoEarfan1
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
If your lucky and have a JetBlue gate at your local airport...they are probably one of the best airlines i have been on recently.

Drince88
03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
It all depends on where you live. What airlines serve your preferred airport. Is cost the only thing that counts, or is direct routing or time of day a factor as well?

If I'm flying someplace different, I go to Travelocity or Expedia to find out whihc airlines serve where I want to go in ways I want to do it (i.e., if I'm flying from New Orleans to Orlando - going through Cincinnati is not a viable option to me, no matter what the cost) - and then I go to the airlines website to narrow it down.

Southwest, however, doesn't participate in the Travelocity/Expedia type sites, so if they're an option, you have to do them individually, and I'm not sure about other of the 'low cost' genre (SW is the only one that goes from my airport to where I go).

mom22gls
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
You can find out all the airlines that serve your local airport by going to your airport's website. My default airlines are Southwest and Air Tran. I just go to both sites, and compare fares.

jheigl
03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I actually got a roundtrip nonstop from Buffalo to Orlando Intl for May 19 for 99 dollars thru southwest...currently i think that flight is around $200 or so, but I got it when they first released it.

efoxx
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
The best way will require a bit of work, but the results will be well worth it.

step one would be to understand when to shop. with the exception of Southwest most airline will sell tickets up to a year in advance. but when you buy can have as much influence on the price as who you fly with and when you go. as a general rule tickets are at the highest price in the weeks before hollidays and the weeks leading up to spring break and summer. the cheapest times to buy are right after summer and early January. even southwest tends to run this way, the cheapest time to buy is not always when the dates first open, for instance if SWA opens up new dates for booking around Christmas the prices will most likely drop after the new year. the main reason for this general rule is more tickets are bought during these times so the airlines will take advantage of this by offering higher prices.

the next step is to shop around. check out expedia, or travelocity. once you find a good airfair don't buy it just yet, unless you know for a fact that this is a short time sale, then jump at it. but if it's now then go to that airlines web site and see if they can beat the price. believe it or not this is more often the case then people realize. if the travel dates are still a long way out, say six months, and the price seems a little high, and one of the slower sales times are coming then just be patient and wait, checking back ofter for new fares.

as you are shopping make sure to take a good look at the airline you are considering. some great deals can be found, but just as important may be they number of daily flights the airline offers. just a couple of years ago we bought tickets on an airline who had two daily flights to Orlando. sure enough after we bought the afternoon flight they cancelled both flights and offered only one flight roughly inbetween. we ended up being refunded on that trip and taking another airline with a better deal, as it turned out it was a good thing as that flight that day I am told was cancelled due to a mechanical problem, and the people were left to find their own way down or wait till another day. this problem is lessened when an airline has multiple flights.

I know this is a bit long, but hope it helps

kittylovesthemouse
03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
AirTran, Spirit...sign up for Spirit's emails for flight deals (we paid $39 for the trip down to Orlando).

frdeb1999
03-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Depending on where you are I know Southwest has a promotion going starting at $39 one way. We just booked with them for August and got 5 tickets for $550. We fly with them quite often and have rarely had problems with them.

ericles
03-14-2007, 05:21 AM
if you aren't sure about who flys outta where, google the airport you plan on flying out of, and go to their website. Somewhere on the airport site they ought to list which airlines use the airport -

at least this worked when I did it for PHL & BWI.

For what it is worth, we use Southwest often out of both PHL or BWI, with out any problems. Best of luck to you-

GusMan
03-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Im of the camp that shopping around is your best bet, regardless of airline. Being in Chicago, I have many options but not all options are equal in comparison. Because of this I start out by searching the airlines web sites to get an idea of who has what fares. Do not assume that airline "x" is going to have the lowest fares because they advertise low fares. Everything is subject to availability. Sometimes you get a nice surprise as to what airline is lower. Also, when comparing, make sure you are comparing prices that include taxes so that you have a real apples-to-apples comparison.

After that, it comes down to schedule. If the lowest fares comes at a time where you are arriving late that first day, or leaving early the last day, it may not be worth it, especially if those days are going to be actual park days. In other words, I would pay somewhat more for a better schedule if it meant that it would add value by being at the parks longer. Scheduling ranks right up there with price in the order of important things to consider.

Here is another yet somewhat odd tip, especially if you are already renting a car... If doing so, you may want to fly into Tampa or St. Petes as fares can be significantly lower. In fact, the first time we went, we did this since we needed a car for side trips and the reduction in fare more than paid for the rental car. Sure, its a little more drive time but yet its another option. But again - dont assume this to be the right choice for you - shop around.

stan4d_steph
03-14-2007, 07:45 AM
I usually start with an aggregator site like Kayak.com. Mobissimo is another one. They search multiple websites at one time and give you an idea of the range of prices. If you want to book, you click a link for the fare of your choice and it takes you directly the website offering that fare.

Certain sites block searches from aggregators, so you will have to look at those directly. I know Southwest airlines and Travelocity are two that block.

kadiehl
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I found a great deal on cheaptickets.com for our airfare. We live in a very rural, remote, nearly non existent area and we have to drive 3 hours to just a major regional airport. We have one other regional one about 1 1/2 hours away but you pay an arm and a leg to go through there.

Normally I would have paid nearly $500.00 per roundtrip ticket to fly out of our major regional one and I just got tickets for $268.00 per person on United Airlines from there so I thought that was a steal compared to previously released rates.

So I recommend cheaptickets.com. I even got to pick my seats and everything.

wwithers
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
This is after the fact but (everyone probably knows my answer)...

DING! (http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/signup.html?ref=cns_ding_hp)

If you don't have it, I highly recommend getting it O and I flew from Kansas City for $39 each way last December.

TamTab
06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
We usually fly NWA (northwest). We have gotten some really good deals with them. Last year in August we flew first class for $99. With them you jsut have to keep looking for the best deals. I had friends that flew with NWA in November and flew for $49 out of detroit.

lex
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Southwest is the cheapest I've seen for airfares. Subscribe to receive their 'ding fares'. The savings are great, but you have to be willing to be flexible with your times.

kadiehl
06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I wish I was able to take advantage of some of these awesome deals...our first trip to Florida as a family we took Spirit Airlines and they had good deals...really good deals...then. Not so much anymore.

It is depressing to see $49.00 airfare or less (assuming one way) when I don't have the advantage of big metropolitan airports near me. :crying:

kansaskix
06-20-2007, 12:05 PM
We fly almost exclusively Southwest because you just can't beat their fares.

We fly out of Kansas City and have gotten Ding! Fares to Orlando for a crazy $39! We've also gotten special internet rates on their regular website for $49 each way! Can't beat that!

THpoohbear
06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I feel like my flight cost for my upcoming trip is doomed. I can't find anything less than $350/p, most fares over $400. We're leaving the Friday of Labor Day weekend, and returning on a Sundy. Doh!

wwithers
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I feel like my flight cost for my upcoming trip is doomed. I can't find anything less than $350/p, most fares over $400. We're leaving the Friday of Labor Day weekend, and returning on a Sundy. Doh!

Don't give up! September DING! fares aren't out yet...:D

TamTab
06-20-2007, 01:28 PM
It is depressing to see $49.00 airfare or less (assuming one way) when I don't have the advantage of big metropolitan airports near me. :crying:

Actually it was $49 out of detroit round trip. Same with the tickets we got for $99 in first class. It was round trip out of detroit. Which for us is still a 2 hour drive away but totally worth it.

What's "Disney"?
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
We usually fly NWA (northwest). We have gotten some really good deals with them. Last year in August we flew first class for $99. With them you jsut have to keep looking for the best deals. I had friends that flew with NWA in November and flew for $49 out of detroit.

You fly Northwest? They fly lots of McDonnell Douglas DC-9 jets, most of which were manufactured in 1967/1968. Amazing that they've kept them up in the air for so long!

Link: http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1224063&WxsIERv=ZpQbaaryy%20Qbhtynf%20QP-9-32&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Abegujrfg%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Arj%20Lbex%20-%20Wbua%20S.%20Xraarql%20Vagreangvbany%20%28Vqyrjv yq%29%20%28WSX%20%2F%20XWSX%29&ERDLTkt=HFN%20-%20Arj%20Lbex&ktODMp=Abirzore%207%2C%202006&BP=0&WNEb25u=Fnz%20Puhv&xsIERvdWdsY=A601AJ&MgTUQtODMgKE=Gbjre%20ivrj%20bs%20AJN%20QP9-30.%20%5BAvxba%20Q2k%5D&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=1648&NEb25uZWxs=2007-06-15%2018%3A16%3A10&ODJ9dvCE=9601&O89Dcjdg=47038%2F136&static=yes&width=1000&height=678&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27Qbht ynf%20QP-9%27%20BE%20nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27ZpQbaaryy% 20Qbhtynf%20QP-9%20%28P-9%20Avtugvatnyr%2FFxlgenva%20VV%29%27%29%20NAQ%20% 28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Abegujrfg%20Nveyvarf%25%27%2 9%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=2&prev_id=1226318&next_id=1220023

TamTab
06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
You fly Northwest? They fly lots of McDonnell Douglas DC-9 jets, most of which were manufactured in 1967/1968. Amazing that they've kept them up in the air for so long!

The newer ones were manufactured in 1982 and besides we've never had any problems with them. The planes are clean, the srevice is good and the price it right. I don't know if we actually go on that particular plan though. From the picture that's not what our plane looks like. Only once we went on a plane like that and that's when we went to NYC.

pumpkin5156
06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree with the Kayak.com. AirTran.com is cheap because they have no meals, no inflight entertainment (I think a radio maybe). Also cheapoair.com is great!

good luck!

What's "Disney"?
06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
The newer ones were manufactured in 1982 and besides we've never had any problems with them. The planes are clean, the srevice is good and the price it right. I don't know if we actually go on that particular plan though. From the picture that's not what our plane looks like. Only once we went on a plane like that and that's when we went to NYC.

Well yes, the last one was manufactured in 1982 (year Epcot opened). But it just amazes me that the large amount of them are from the 60's. I'm not saying it's bad--because NWA does an outstanding job maintaining them. I'm just saying it's amazing that they are so reliable. In fact, the particular unit that I linked to was delivered on August 8, 1967 and it's still flying today!

tchatters
06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
We almost always fly Southwest wherever we go, but to WDW we flew Frontier. They had the lowest fare by far, the best service and the little man who is 4, loved the in-seat DirecTV. I would have paid $50 for that, the $5 was nothing! I've flown Frontier several times x-country and it's always been reliable. Southwest seems to work better for direct or one-stop flights- they've lost my luggage 3 times on anything more than that.