PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Tomorrowland

Pages : [1] 2

huntzilla
03-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I was reading on Screamscape that Tomorrowland might be getting an overhaul after the 1998 "disaster". I was a Disney nerd back then but why is it considered a disaster. If it's anything like the one in Disney World then I don't see the problem with it. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I'm going down Late March/Early April, I saw the lagoon was filled, any chance for Previews? I mean if it's filled then there isn't much to do right?

just beatla33
03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Since tomorrowland is suppose to be abotu the future, its kinda of hard this day in age but DL should model after DL Paris and just rename Tomorrowland to Discoveryland. But the 98 disaster was what it was, gold and monkey crap brown was not a good color scheme, white blue and silver is where it looks like to be heading back to which would be awesome.

futurecm21
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I can't tell you anything about the "disaster" you speak of, because I have never heard about it either, but what I can tell you is that Tomorowland is now more like retro land, (or something like that, I was trying to be creative). If you call a land Tomorowland, you have to constantly modify it, and change it when the future actually rolls around, and I think that Disney really hasn't taken on that challenge. The skyway, and many other rides that used to give it a futuristic feeling are now gone, and the idea of space travel isn't quite as mysterious as it was when the park first opened. I wouldn't want to rename it Discoveryland, but it definitely does need some work.:)
futurecm21

tigga please
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
pssh, what ISNT wrong with it??

rokketride
03-12-2007, 03:42 PM
space mountain with the building painted white again isnt wrong ;)

However, the line entrance is a really poor layout.

Quinten27
03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed that in the "Meet the Robisons" trailer, they fly over a very reckognizable Disneyland, and show a sign in front of tommorrow land that reads "Today Land".

Maybe they should just go ahead and change the name now. :)

just beatla33
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
yes

Bytebear
03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Move the rocket jets back to the top of the People Mover hub, opening up the entrance from all that traffic jam. I dont mind the Verne style, so I don't mind the style, but I do like the blue better than the copper. I do wish they would keep things painted more. The new railings are not painted, giving a silver/chrome look which works for the most part. I do think the white railing around the Rockets queue looks out of place.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
The sky needs activity. Put the Rockets back up in the air, and bring back the people mover!!!!!

VickiC
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Or take the track out, but right now it just looks sad.

jcruise86
03-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm posting this modified list from another thread:

--getting rid of the Skyway
--the People Mover,
--(and for too many years) the Submarine Voyage,
--destroying Tomorrowland's attractive appearance--[there was a great photo essay on this--link anyone?]
--. . . the failed rocket rods,"
--"Innoventions," [Though I like the walking robot--but I'm one of many who miss the C. of . P. I don't miss "America Sings." Wasn't "America Sings" there when Eisner arrived?]
--"and not. . . making a new Star Tours"

rokketride
03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
the above about covers it

/thread

PanFan
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Move the rocket jets back to the top of the People Mover hub, opening up the entrance from all that traffic jam. I dont mind the Verne style, so I don't mind the style, but I do like the blue better than the copper. I do wish they would keep things painted more. The new railings are not painted, giving a silver/chrome look which works for the most part. I do think the white railing around the Rockets queue looks out of place.

I completely agree. That's the one ride I won't go on just out of spite. I don't understand the purpose to moving it to its current location and the view is much less spectacular due to not being as high. It wouldn't be that hard to do since the major mechanism is still working in its original location (as the Observatron). I don't mind the Verne style either. When I went to Disney World for the first time and I saw that it was up the elevator above the TTA loading deck (where it used to be at Disneyland), in the Verne style, I had to do it.

Regarding a preview of the subs, there absolutely won't be one in March/April. They're working frantically around the clock to get them done by the CM preview currently scheduled for June 3-4. You'll just have to come back!

gibson510
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I agree with most of you. A blue and silver color scheme looks much better. I also agree that the rocket jets should be moved back or elevated. They just seem like a step above a carnival ride.
But I think the PeopleMover should be brought back or something else to run on that track because it would be sad to see the track removed. It's sad enough to see it just sitting.
I think Innoventions should be removed! Most of it has gotten out of date and it's not appealing anymore. Its like a big revolving commerical that you cant find the exit to. What a nightmare. It would be nice to see a change there.
And also, I hope the Nemo ride works out because I really miss the old subs and if this ride was a flop I would be dissapointed.

geoffa
03-13-2007, 03:00 AM
When you get to see the Robinsons movie you'll find that Tomorrowland has became TODAYland! (Watch the trailer):

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/meettherobinsons/

danyoung
03-13-2007, 05:18 AM
14 responses and no mention of the Rocket Rods? [edit - Oops - sorry, jcruise!] I think that was the biggest disaster of '98. I actually enjoyed riding them, but the thrill was pretty limited, the line was incredibly long, the attraction was slow loading, and their whining noise really added an unpleasant vibe to Tomorrowland. Add to that the fact that the budget was drastically slashed for this attraction, which prevented them from putting in banked curves, which contributed to the almost constant breaking down of the vehicles, and you have a disaster that only lasted a few months.

The People Mover conveyed such a nice kinetic feel to the land that the Rods never equalled. And with the Rods going belly up, we were left with an empty, decaying track. Disastrous!

And I can't say enough about my displeasure at the moving of the Jets. As others have said, the ride is wussed out by being on the ground instead of up on the pylon. And their negative impact into the central hub of the park, not to mention their blocking off of the entryway to Tomorrowland, is just one of the stupidest design blunders ever in Disney history, IMO.

jeffthechef
03-13-2007, 11:36 AM
The latest I heard a couple of months ago was an idea by John Lassetter to use the People Mover track for an Incredibles-themed ride. You may recall the orbs that moved along a track on Syndrome's island hideout. These orbs would ride along the existing track and would be able to tilt forward/ backward and side to side at the control of the rider. There would be various Incredibles themes throughout the ride as well.

rokketride
03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
So in other words, Tomorrowland should be renamed to Pixarland

Pizza Port can be renamed to Pizza Planet

Bytebear
03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I have heard this rumor as well. The cars would have to be pretty small if they are to be bubble shaped, because there just isn't enough clearance between the tracks. Also, there have been several deaths and injuries on the old People Movers as people jumped between cars, and not "keeping arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times", so the bubble idea (or some kind of caged vehicle) would probably be preferred.

JCLowesman
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree, Innoventions must go. However, corporate sponsors should be found to provide small, innovative displays in various aread around Tomorrowland and return the COP theater to it's former glory. If done right it can be a fantastic "people eater" attraction and help to reduce crowding. Pizza Port or Lunching Pad should be updated to show the newest in food prep and types of food. Make the food part of the show.

olegc
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
one of the bigger rumors was having the Rocket Jets (now Astro Orbiter) moved BACK to the top of the old PeopleMover platform, and opening up that portion of the hub. No more gridlock, and the "weenie" draw of the Rockets will bring back the original flow design....

Klutch
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
The "98 Disaster" which people speak of was an on-the-cheap redo of the area by the infamous Paul Pressler. He was convinced a coat of paint, cheaper rides and an endless carpet of food and drink carts were the key to success. His current absence is proof of his error.

For those who never experienced the classic era of Tomorrowland, it's very difficult to appreciate the difference. It was a very exciting area just to walk around in. There was movement wherever you looked: People Mover, Sky Jets, Submarines, Autopia, Motorboat Cruise and Monorail. There was a moving sidewalk which took guests up and into the Space Mountain queue. You could look up at the Matterhorn and see the bobsleds winding along the track while the Skyway went through the tunnel. Inside "A Trip Through Inner Space" you could catch a glimpse of the pods cruising into the shrinking machine. There was a large pavilion where bands played almost every evening. The Tomorowland Terrace had entertainment literally popping out of the ground all day. Yep, this was all up and running at the same time. :cool:

screamin4ever
03-13-2007, 09:18 PM
It was also bland, white with black asphalt ground and most of the ground movement was from crowds. '98 was a step toward something different...it missed...but now it is better than what it was and at least the future isn't stuck in 2001---the movie.

Just putting the Rocket Jets back up where they belong would go a long way for me.

someimagination
03-14-2007, 12:13 AM
So in other words, Tomorrowland should be renamed to Pixarland

Pizza Port can be renamed to Pizza Planet

When I worked there... you have no idea how many people would call it that anyway..

I'm posting this modified list from another thread:

--getting rid of the Skyway
--the People Mover,
--(and for too many years) the Submarine Voyage,
--destroying Tomorrowland's attractive appearance--[there was a great photo essay on this--link anyone?]
--. . . the failed rocket rods,"
--"Innoventions," [Though I like the walking robot--but I'm one of many who miss the C. of . P. I don't miss "America Sings." Wasn't "America Sings" there when Eisner arrived?]
--"and not. . . making a new Star Tours"

+HISTA
Double points for using anything that has to do with Star Wars :geek:

simnia
03-14-2007, 01:51 AM
What's wrong with the new Tomorrowland? Don't get me started! Here are some of my personal objections:

1. The entire intent of this land showing the future is gone, replaced by what we *thought* the future would be like as of the 1950s-1960s. It's as if there's nothing to look forward to, so we're stuck in the past. Doesn't anybody have a viable vision of a better future anymore?

2. Real motion rides like Inner Space replaced by movie/simulator rides here and in other theme parks.

3. Ugly, mundane crops like corn and strawberries being grown as landscaping instead of exotic, tropical plants like schefflera, bird-of-paradise trees, and split-leaf philodendrons.

4. Tomorrowland Terrace, which once had serious pop-rock bands, turned into an unwatchable kid show.

5. Colorful murals gone. Colorful flower beds gone.

6. Peoplemover track standing unused.

7. General decline in maintenance: holes in fake rocks, peeling paint from Buzz Lightyear stage, trash floating in the sub lagoon, even the new rotating stone sphere is often nonfunctioning, antenna thing often nonfunctioning.

8. Attractions based on movies instead of science. Along with this, the educational undercurrent of attractions like Hall of Chemistry, and Adventure Thru Inner Space is gone. The public is being dumbed down, youth aren't being motivated to make the world better or to learn, only to ride thrill rides. Not only is there no longer any vision evident in Tomorrowland, but the next generation would lack a vision, also, if they took Tomorrowland seriously as I used to do.

9. Ugly colors. White was clean and futuristic and went with everything, not brown.

That's enough for now. Tomorrowland was clearly at its peak in 1967. It looked better, functioned better, was educational, inspiring, and more.