PDA

View Full Version : Drive time from DLR to San Diego

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I am taking a girls weekend trip to San Diego in late April. I was trying to figure out the drive time from DLR to San Diego. Was thinking that I could go a day early and hit DLR, then drive over to meet the girls in San Diego. I could also fly from SNA, but not sure if anyone goes to SAN from there, non stop. I am really trying to find just a day to cure this major Disneyland withdrawl I am having.
TIA!

BQ2
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I am taking a girls weekend trip to San Diego in late April.

We live in San Diego. Our drive time to DLR is about 1 1/2 hours. Some times less, Sometimes more. WE always travel midweek. There is a carpool lane that gets you by the tight spots!

BQ2

jcruise86
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Avoid rush hour which lasts from about 6-9 a.m and 3-7 p.m.
Plus there is extra traffic going south on Friday and driving up on Sunday evening.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I would be traveling on a Thursday, don't need to be in San Diego until early afternoon. So I could leave after rush hour. I would get Wednesday at DLR.
Thanks!

HobbitFeet
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I noticed that the San Diego option disappears on Southwest when coming from SNA. Oh well. :)

However, if I were doing what you're doing, I'd hit Amtrak. The Surfliner (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1081256322013&c=am2Route&ssid=132) goes from Anaheim to San Diego several times per day. $20, around 2 hours (though Amtrak is consistently late), snack car...sounds good to me!

Just an idea.

FWIW, when we drive home to my brother's on that same route, it takes almost 2 hours, well, maybe less, but it's always late at night (I say "always", but I mean, "the two times we've done it, once the last two years). Then again, I can't be trusted, b/c I usually have my eyes squeezed shut, trying to ignore the warp speed everyone (including my brother who learned to drive in Miami) is going! :cool:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I noticed that the San Diego option disappears on Southwest when coming from SNA. Oh well. :)

However, if I were doing what you're doing, I'd hit Amtrak. The Surfliner (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1081256322013&c=am2Route&ssid=132) goes from Anaheim to San Diego several times per day. $20, around 2 hours (though Amtrak is consistently late), snack car...sounds good to me!

Just an idea.

FWIW, when we drive home to my brother's on that same route, it takes almost 2 hours, well, maybe less, but it's always late at night (I say "always", but I mean, "the two times we've done it, once the last two years). Then again, I can't be trusted, b/c I usually have my eyes squeezed shut, trying to ignore the warp speed everyone (including my brother who learned to drive in Miami) is going! :cool:

I noticed that too, about SWA. To fly I would have to go to Phoenix or somewhere out of state, and it would not make it worth while. I really hate to drive, so I am going to look in to Amtrak. I just need to see how long my DH will be off, if I could head to DLR on Tuesday, since it will take me most of the day just to get to SNA, coming from Spokane, I have to stop in Phoenix, spending 3 hours in the airport there because of no good connections, so I need to make this worthwhile, if I am going to bother with it. Dh will have his April schedule by the weekend.
Thanks for the tip on Amtrak.

Leofoenget
03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
We live in San Diego. Our drive time to DLR is about 1 1/2 hours. Some times less, Sometimes more. WE always travel midweek. There is a carpool lane that gets you by the tight spots!

BQ2

I have made the drive many times, and my best friend lives there, and I agree, it's about 90mins, less if it's really late at night and you can punch it!!

jan

Bytebear
03-11-2007, 10:18 PM
If you drive like a Californian, I agree its about 90 minutes, but if you are not used to California driving and freeways intimidate you a little (be honest), plan on two hours or more.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-11-2007, 10:26 PM
If you drive like a Californian, I agree its about 90 minutes, but if you are not used to California driving and freeways intimidate you a little (be honest), plan on two hours or more.

When I lived in Phoenix, I drove like a Californian. I am not really intimidated by freeways, but I don't like to drive 90 mph either. I am normally one who drives the speed limit etc. So I should plan on at least 2 hours.

Bytebear
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I would say, plan on 2 hours. Most people will be going 75 in the slow lane. You won't hit 90, but you should average 75-85.

(side note: My brother came out to visit, and he drove four of us to LA, and was going 55. Scared us to death. I thought we were going to be run down)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-12-2007, 07:02 AM
I would say, plan on 2 hours. Most people will be going 75 in the slow lane. You won't hit 90, but you should average 75-85.

(side note: My brother came out to visit, and he drove four of us to LA, and was going 55. Scared us to death. I thought we were going to be run down)

LOL For my senior graduation present, my parents sent me and 2 friends to CA for a week, we did DLR, Universal, Knotts, MM etc. One friend flew and the other friend and I drove, I had a little Honda CRX, yet 2 seater with 3 teens, what WERE my parents thinking. Anyway, I had been to CA, dad always drove, lots of times before that, and knew about the traffic, but holy cow. Driving in it at just 17yo for the first time was scarey. I got the point that people don't use blinkers, and if you want to merge, noone lets you in, you just get over. It was CRAZY!!! Now when we go to DLR, we take SuperShuttle and I pretty much close my eyes. Thankfully we always fly in to SNA so the ride isn't very long. We did drive once, from Phoenix when we were living there for a winter, a couple years ago, and I was a nervous wreck, I didn't even do the driving, my DH did. I am leaning more towards either doing an extra day so I can just fly back and forth, or taking Amtrak. Renting a car and driving, alone, the thought is scaring me a bit. :D

Bytebear
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
That might not be a bad idea. The train goes right into San Diego, and from there it's pretty easy to get around via taxis. Freeway driving can be nerve-wracking. The drive is pretty basic, just go down the 5, and for much of it, you can just flow with traffic. If someone "rides your butt" just move to the right, and let them pass. The interchange with the 805 is odd because it goes to the left, and the 5 goes right, and they are doing some construction there, so it can be confusing. Get a good map, or a GPS for best results getting around. That will save you a lot of headache if you choose to drive.

BQ2
03-12-2007, 04:12 PM

WHAT!!?? The speed limit is 55 mph?? I thought it was 70mph!! When did that change?? LOL!!! Humm!...Let's see... 90 mile drive...90 minuite travel time... one, carry the 2, I must average 60 mph. Is that legal?? I hope so :)

BQ2

Bytebear
03-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Average speed is 60, but given there are often times you are gong 15 mph, you need to make up that time somehow. :)