PDA

View Full Version : questions about DVC

momofjka
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
My husband and I have been looking into purchasing DVC points. Can anyone who has bought them tell me if you use them every year? Have you ever used them at a different location other than Disney? Do you need to purchase park tickets everytime you stay at WDW? Is there a site that will tell me how much each vacation will cost? Thanks for any help!!

Tony
03-11-2007, 09:42 PM
We just bought last year, but I can tell you that we plan to use them every year.

In fact, this year, we are using them for a stay at WDW in October, and to stay at a villa in Italy in September.

You do need park tickets - but one very nice benefit of DVC membership is a very substantial discount on WDW annual passes.

As for cost, it all depends on how you use the points, when you use them, and where. Once you join, there is a calculator available online in the Members website, that will help determine exactly how many points a given stay will cost.

TiggerRPh
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
My husband and I have been looking into purchasing DVC points. Can anyone who has bought them tell me if you use them every year? Have you ever used them at a different location other than Disney? Do you need to purchase park tickets everytime you stay at WDW? Is there a site that will tell me how much each vacation will cost? Thanks for any help!!

We go at least once per year. No, we have not used our points for anything other than Disney. We have used our points to stay at the Polynesian and the Grand Californian at Disneyland. Yes, you do need to purchase park tickets if you plan on entering any of the parks.

As for cost...it depends on the size of the unit you plan on needing and when you're going.

Mark099
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
The greatest value lies in using your points at a DVC resort. If you don't plan on regular visits to WDW, then DVC is not for you.

We purchased in 2004 with the idea of using our points every 2 years (with borrowing and banking) for large vacations. In October 2005, we had a 1BR villa for 10 nights. This October, we will be staying in a 2BR villa for 12 nights. My sister and her fiance will be joining us this time.

We have thought about trading out into other timeshares, but the reality is that it doesn't always work out the way you want it. DVC works best for those wanting to visit WDW. Once you start looking to go somewhere else, then DVC works like any other timeshare. It'll be more costly and less predictable.

Hersheytx
03-12-2007, 07:12 AM
We have used ours at a stay in New York City, Colorado Springs, and San Fran. CA. All were very nice hotels (Disney only lets you stay at the best).
Been of course to WDW 4 times in 5 years. I was hoping to do Hawaii next year but I went over board and borrowed points for next year too.
Everyone wants to go to WDW.

geoffa
06-13-2007, 03:52 AM
The greatest value lies in using your points at a DVC resort. If you don't plan on regular visits to WDW, then DVC is not for you.

Have to disagree slightly. We joined DVC not only because we could use Disney parks but because of the great choice worldwide that was also on offer. Yes, you get discounts on food and merchandise at the parks plus free parking but the fact I can have a weekend at the Dorchester in London or a skiing vacation in Colorado has great appeal. Arranging these is certainly not "less pedictable" - Disney only work with the best as other posters have stated. They would certainly want to know if any venue was below their kind of standards! As the years go by the cost will be less and less. The choices are being added to all the time.This is the great advantage of DVC over time share schemes surely. Even if you're not prepared to travel outside your own country then DVC usage still offers many other places you can go besides Disney. The points you have to use may be slightly higher than they would be at a Disney resort but that's par for the course! You are, in effect, purchasing your vacations for the next 40 odd years (you can leave it in your will to your family) All you will need to find each time you vacation is travel costs, food and tickets plus your annual fees.
To momofjka I would say order the DVD:

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/about/guestAbout?id=ProspectsDVDPresentationPage

It will tell you everything you want to know.

If you have any questions then call them - 800-500-3990 (AT NO OBLIGATION).
[Referral Reference Deleted.]

As a rough guide we are going to Saratoga Springs in October for Halloween. The points for a one bedroomsuite are 15 points for weekdays and 18 points for weekend nights so about 126 points for seven nights. The number of points you use depends on the time of year, the resort, the size of room you want, the season. Moderate hotels are obviously less - the Grand Flo is more points obviously. The cruise is something else! One thing to note if you ever venture to Disneyland Resort Paris your tickets ARE included in your room booking.

Chumpieboy
06-29-2007, 08:37 AM

We just bought EOY 2006 (resale points at OKW). We already have WDW trips booked for this summer and January 2008, with plans for a larger trip January 2009. We are also using some of our points for a quick vacation in Manhattan later this summer.

The primary decision I tell people about DVC is that if you would normally go to a moderate resort every 1-2 years, then DVC will save you money in the long term compared to that. If you buy DVC and don't use the points, then you've wasted your money.