PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member Names

yohomama212
03-11-2007, 07:41 AM
When I get to bag check and wait in line to have my ginormous diaper bag checked the CM will usually say something to the effect of "Enjoy your day". I then respond with "Thank you, Shirley, you too!" (Having read her name off her name tag.) I enter the park and they scan in my AP, CM "Bob" usually says "Good Morning Elizabeth" to which I respond "Good Morning Bob". As various CMs help me through the day and make my visit to the Happy Place even more enjoyable I go out of my way to use their name when I thank them. I know there are past and present CMs here as well as lifers to the parks who can give me great insight on this. Do they like this or is it more of an annoyance? Do any of them even notice to appreciate it or not?

Thanks for the input!
Liz :cool:

FunAuntSherry
03-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I am not, nor have I ever been a CM but have been in the service industry and wearing a name-badge. Only because it was a part of my uniform. I'd rather be anonymous myself-I don't know what it is about people I don't know calling me by name.

For that matter, people who see me - who do know me - say "Hi Sherry" even if I am the only one around it is sort of unnatural.... if you know the person don't you just say "Hi?"

But back to the topic, I was always trained to use the customer's name - as in they enjoy being called by name - and it is as uncomfortable for me to do so as to have them call me by my name. I suppose it is just a personal thing - If you're comfortable being called by name by someone who only knows you by your pass, check, cc or whatever then you definitely should do so - because chances are they are comfortable doing so... since I believe I am in the minority!!!

neverlander
03-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I wish I had taken note of some of the awesome CMs during my last visit because I was asked to complete a survey after my trip. It specifically asked for CMs names who had truly made a positive difference during our trip.
I'm with FunAuntSherry in that I think it feels unnatural to address someone by name whom I don't know. I also don't like being called by name by others who do not know me. (I feel unsafe when, at the grocery store, they say, "Thank you Ms. So-and-so," using my last name. They've just given any weirdo behind me the means to track me down!)
When dealing with a helpful employee somewhere or on the phone, I like to end the conversation with a comment of appreciation followed by, "And what is your name?" or "You're Suzie Q?" That way, I can report their helpfulness if I feel so inclined.
It would be interesting to hear from CMs about this, though.

DisDreams
03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I enjoy wearing my red, oval "Guest of Honor" name tag/pin with Mickey standing on the left, poking his thumb towards his chest. I bought it in a Downtown Disney store in WDW in the late '90s and have recently discovered they are not sold anymore. (Does anyone know why or when they stopped selling them?) I enjoy the occasional CM who takes a moment to read my name and say Hi and likewise i note the names of CM's who are particularly attentive and caring. I will admit i feel a bit odd when the cashiers at the Safeway stores note my name on the receipt and say "Thanks for shopping at Safeway, Mr...."

honeymoon @disney
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
...I will admit i feel a bit odd when the cashiers at the Safeway stores note my name on the receipt and say "Thanks for shopping at Safeway, Mr...."

We use my fiancee's card, so its under his last name. They always call me by that last name, which is a little odd as I'm leaving the check out. But, eventually that will be my name anyways! ;)

Whenever I've worked as a CSR, it always confused me for a moment when people used my name. I'd quickly try to figure out if I knew them, or they knew of me from a relative. Then, of course, I'd recover and realize it was my nametag... Now, whenever I deal with someone I make it obvious that I'm looking at their nametag and say "So your name is... Annie? Well, you have a super day Annie!". Cuts down on a bit of the confusion. :)

jcruise86
03-11-2007, 10:23 PM
. . . Do they like this or is it more of an annoyance? Do any of them even notice to appreciate it or not?. . .
I can only speak for myself. When I was 18 and working on the subs at Disneyland, having guests (strangers) address me with my name felt invasive. It seemed like most of the people who used my name after reading my tag were obnoxious and trying to be funny by asserting their power--most often a teen with a disdainful, condescending tone of voice.

That said, I think name tags are helpful in keeping employees accountable for their behavior, and it probably helps to humanize the CMs to guests.
After reading his nametag, I went to City Hall and got the Web address where I could submit a guest compliment (and I did) for the excellent employee who made our audience more fun and enthusiastic on the Tiki Room.

Sosai X
03-12-2007, 04:13 AM
I enjoy wearing my red, oval "Guest of Honor" name tag/pin with Mickey standing on the left, poking his thumb towards his chest. I bought it in a Downtown Disney store in WDW in the late '90s and have recently discovered they are not sold anymore. (Does anyone know why or when they stopped selling them?) I enjoy the occasional CM who takes a moment to read my name and say Hi and likewise i note the names of CM's who are particularly attentive and caring. I will admit i feel a bit odd when the cashiers at the Safeway stores note my name on the receipt and say "Thanks for shopping at Safeway, Mr...."

They retire the GOH nametags from time to time so they can introduce new designs. Yours was replaced in about 2000 with a new Mickey artwork, then that one was retired for a whole bunch of new ones in 2005 for the 50th celebration.

DisDreams
03-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks, Sosai X, for the info about "Guest of Honor" name tag retirements & redesigns. I guess i never realized guest nametags are redesigned from time to time, even though CM name tags ARE redesigned just as often if not more. How often are CM name tags redesigned, on the average, BTW?

Sosai X
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
nametags worn at the resorts are replaced when the current theme or celebration changes, on average every year or 18 months. The nametag used by other divisions of the company like WDI feature which project they currently working on, or to celebrate an anniversary of their division. There have been hundreds of varieties used over the years.

mulansgirl
03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I personally liked it when someone used my name when I worked at the SD zoo. I helped so many people throughout the day and most never really even looked at you, they just gave money, took tickets and walked away. even when you asked a question like which ticket would you like they would look right through you or answer like you are a robot. It is nice to be reminded you are a person with a name even when you are working. Most days no one would say my name except co-workers, I always enjoyed that small moment that brings you back to life.
but that is just me.

PanFan
03-15-2007, 09:29 PM
As a CM, I kind of like it when people use my name. I'm usually taken aback at first, since so few take the time to read it and use it, but it definitely gets my attention and makes me feel more like a person than an AA question-answering service. Conversely, I feel weird being the one on other end using someone's name whom I don't know. DH does it all the time, though. So if ever in FL you come across Alyssa from Santa Clarita, you'll know it's okay to call me by name ;)

Ambyrkatt
03-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't like it when someone I don't know calls me by name. I didn't like it when I worked in the service industry and had to wear a name badge and I don't like it when I go to the grocery store and they read it off of the reciept. I've always thought it sounded very fake and a bit invasive. They don't KNOW my name, they're just READING my name....that doesn't impress me. In turn, I do not read people's name badges and call them by name.

Maybe I'm a fussypants? :rolleyes:

someimagination
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't like it when someone I don't know calls me by name. I didn't like it when I worked in the service industry and had to wear a name badge and I don't like it when I go to the grocery store and they read it off of the reciept. I've always thought it sounded very fake and a bit invasive. They don't KNOW my name, they're just READING my name....that doesn't impress me. In turn, I do not read people's name badges and call them by name.

Maybe I'm a fussypants? :rolleyes:

It weirds me out sometimes because it's mostly 10-25 year olds who tend to pass by with a quick "Hi [insert name here]" But I've learned to not let it phase me and I reply with a grin and a quick "Hello, person who's name I can't see!"

However, if I've been talking to the person for a while, or answering their question, I don't mind being called by my name... DLR is supposed to be on a 'first name basis' [hence the name tags] to begin with... so it's all good :D

hrhlaurie
03-19-2007, 07:57 AM
When we had AP's the only cast member we called by name was Maynard. ;)

jaymesmom617
03-19-2007, 08:43 AM
It really freaks me out when people call me by my name. A simple ma'am (or sir, as the case my be) suits me fine. And no it doesn't make me feel old. Maybe it is b/c I grew up in the south.:)

Disgruntled CM
03-25-2007, 01:11 AM
This is the reason I wear a nametag that is obviously NOT my name. I am a girl and I wear a nametag with an obvious boys name on it so no crazy people try to bond with me.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Frankly, being on the receiving end of the "I know your name and I'm using it" line, it comes off as rather condescending to me. I know people don't always mean it to be, but hey...you're using my name and I have no idea who YOU are.

I hate it when people I've never met before in my LIFE call me by name.

I willingly volunteer who I am but just because there's a name plate on my desk doesn't mean you are obliged to use that information.

-TLMt