PDA

View Full Version : The Hail Mary Pass?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mask41
03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I just read, in reviewing the Unofficial Guide to DL, that Peter Pan affords the Hail Mary, in that a part of your group can get in line while other(s) in your party go to the bathroom, make a run for FPs for a different ride, etc, and join you in line. Is this appropriate/acceptable? This is going to be our first ride, on our first day and I was already thinking of sending DH over to BTMRR for FPs while we get the kids to PP and get in line.
Any thoughts?
-Amy

itig
03-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I just read, in reviewing the Unofficial Guide to DL, that Peter Pan affords the Hail Mary, in that a part of your group can get in line while other(s) in your party go to the bathroom, make a run for FPs for a different ride, etc, and join you in line. Is this appropriate/acceptable? This is going to be our first ride, on our first day and I was already thinking of sending DH over to BTMRR for FPs while we get the kids to PP and get in line.
Any thoughts?
-Amy

hmm...my opinion...that line is not very easy to hop into once you've moved up a bit. It's kind of narrow and may not be super-easy, especially if you're up in the wooden rail part. I don't know, maybe some more experienced DL folks can chime in here.

Malcon10t
03-10-2007, 07:01 PM
If the line is long, and outside the wooden rail area, they can usually join you at a switchback turn. Once you are inside the wooden rail area, its impossible to join. If you are going early, he probably would not have time to make the run.

cactusgirl
03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I think that is wrong. Picture this. I am in line for dumbo with my toddlers. We are waiting very patiently. We also have counted out how many possible groupings are in front of us so we know approx how many times the ride will run before it is our turn. Next thing we know people come bumping through the line and we are now bumped back. It is disheartening.

Now, when we go, we do have a fastpass runner. But that person usually misses out on the ride the group is doing. It stinks, but we rotate, so it is not too bad. If you consider the alternative--trooping everyone from Adventureland to Tommorrowland to get our Space Mountain passes, it is not too bad.

Additionally, it is hard to explain to my daughter why we have to wait in line when others are able to cut through.

To each his own.:)

hlbtimes2
03-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I wouldnt recomend using that method to get fast pass, bathroom break maybe, fast pass NO. I would say that about any ride in the prk though. I can maybe see if one person is going to stop and get fast pass for a ride you are walking past, while most of the party goes to get in line for a ride that is close by. Say, fast pass for Indy while the rest are getting in line for jungle cruise. Chances are, the single person would catch up quick enough to not have to push past a bunch of people. I would not send someone to another part of the park to get fp, then have them try to catch up.

yohomama212
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM
If my son suddenly tugs on my pants and says "Mommy, I gotta go potty", I'm not going to make the whole group get out of line to take him. We've got the potty break down to an art form now and can get out of line, run to the closest potty, pee, wash hands, and get back in line in under five minutes in most cases! (The one time I won't turn back is once we've entered the building for POTC, but by then the question has been asked enough times to cover our collective bases and the potties are usually the first stop off the ride!)

I don't see the point in counting the groups ahead of me for the Teacups or Dumbo or whatever, my kids aren't keeping track so there's no reason for me to. Enjoying the family time and focusing on each other is much more important to me than if one guy hops in line ahead of me to join his family. I understand and respect that not everyone can go to the park as often as I can and can be so casual about people who "cut" in line, which is why I take every opportunity to relax and not let it bother me.

Liz :cool:

Malcon10t
03-10-2007, 09:01 PM
If my son suddenly tugs on my pants and says "Mommy, I gotta go potty", I'm not going to make the whole group get out of line to take him. We've got the potty break down to an art form now and can get out of line, run to the closest potty, pee, wash hands, and get back in line in under five minutes in most cases! (The one time I won't turn back is once we've entered the building for POTC, but by then the question has been asked enough times to cover our collective bases and the potties are usually the first stop off the ride!) I have no problem with a situation like this. I don't even have a problem with someone doing a FP run, IF they can catch up outside at a switchback. But, if it is more than a fastpass runner, or a mom/dad with a kid (ie, 6 teens) forget it. If you have to walk up thru the line, forget it.

I know a lot disagree with me, and think even a kid should know better and be able to go to the bathroom at the right time, but to me, I'd prefer a dry kid on POTC before me....

I also don't count the number of "groups" ahead of me on a ride. Many things can change this. On Dumbo, you don't know when/how they will load the people in the HA line, you don't know how many are riding single, etc....

bassett1976
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
If your going to do Peter as the first ride of the day as soon as the park opens then do not worry about the FP for BTMRR. BTMRR will not run out of FP within the first hour and will more than likely have FP for a majority of the day, if not the whole day.

Clotho
03-10-2007, 11:05 PM
This all seems so strange to me. It never occurred to me to get in line at any time before my party was ALL ready to get in line. Fastpass runners included.

I will have to be understanding of parents with unexpected emergencies (the pants tugging), but willfully saying, "Well, let's get in line, and then I will take the kids on their bathroom break while you hold our spot." is another thing entirely. Not to say anyone here in this thread has said that, but that is the impression I am getting from the question in general--that some people purposefully time their waits in line as "I will go do something else while you hold the place, and then we'll come back later."

We grab a fastpass as we pass it, or we will plan to go and get it, and then meet up to get in line for something else together. We never plan to hold spots for someone else from the get-go. That seems wrong to me.

MrTomMorrow
03-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I agree... it's hard to join a group in the Peter Pan queue once they've already entered the wooden switchbacks.

geoffa
03-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Having a bathroom break is fine but going off to get FPs, shop, eat is a NO NO.You should pick up your FPs between rides. If you have a tour plan (Unofficial Guide are good at this) then all these things are "built in". And I think its only polite that you let immediate others in the line know what's going on. I've always said the way to control lines is for CMs to issue numbered sequence tags that are collected in as you go on the ride. That way there can be no line jumping. When 95 96 and 98 are about to board - they do. If 97 isn't there to board -he/ she doesn't. Simple, eh?

mask41
03-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks for putting this in perspective for me, and for the extra tips and hints!!

neverlander
03-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Mask 41, you are showing consideration by asking for advice before assuming that this would be okay with everyone.
When we visited DL in 2005, it was the first year we had been there since the inception of fast passes and the use of cell phones. Although it was a reflection of our society as a whole, I was still surprised to see people running through the park and chatting incessantly on their phones. It seems that we just can't seem to fit enough into our days and that, to me, something important has been lost.
I love the fastpass system, and it's been convenient to use my phone to hook up with friends in the park. However, I just don't understand why a person would wait in line to board a ride just to spend the entire time talking on their phone. (I really wish Disney would prohibit cell phone use on rides and during shows.)
I would like to invite everyone to take a deep breath, slow down, and savor the moment.

Clotho
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I agree with you Neverlander. And I know this is not a comment directed at the OP, so please don't feel we're giving you some kind of moral lecture.

But I agree that the whole world is getting up to a terribly frantic pace, and we are missing so much around us as a result. Disney is covered in detail to stop and appreciate; and we are usually there with others we love and deserve our attention anytime we can spare it. So hanging out in line and talking on a cell phone, or always rushing rushing rushing to catch the next ride instead of walking and talking and laughing and enjoying the surroundings...it seems contrary to the entire point of Disneyland/DisneyWorld--Walt created it so that we would spend time with our families, not so we could ride every single ride before noon, ya know?

stan4d_steph
03-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't really have a problem with someone trying to meet back up with their party if someone in line, usually a child, has an issue such as needing to use the toilet.

I don't really like people purposefully saving a spot in line so that others in their party can rejoin them after doing something else.

JookyG
03-11-2007, 01:48 PM
My favorite approach for folks trying to sneak past me in line, for whatever reason (oh they've got a million of them), is to politely tell them no, and suggest that if the rest of their party really wants them to be together, they should step aside in the line and wait for them to catch up.

Of course this works better on some rides than others, due to the narrowness of the queues. Probably wouldn't work in the Peter Pan queue, though it wouldn't be any worse than someone trying to cut through.

crasher11
03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I have no problem with the parents taking the little ones to the restroom. We travel with little ones also and try to get them to the restroom before we enter a long line but sometimes it happens and they have to go. But I don't agree leaving someone in line so you can go do other things and then slip in line. We were waiting in line at BTMR the last time we were there and a large group of Asian visitors had sent someone to save a place in line for the ride and I am not talking about 4-5 people it was more like 10-15 people were moving up the line. People were not happy about it at all and were telling them they had to wait in line just like everyone else. The Gentleman that was leading the group (had a small red flag held over his head) was telling people that they had saved a place in line. One person asked why they thought they should all be able to move up the line when everyone had to wait and they should to. His was response was " We have spent a lot of money to come here to the U.S." and they moved right up ahead to join the person in line. Now to me that isn't right, they should just have to wait just like everyone. I realize that the money people spend coming from other countries is more then most of us spend to get to DL but I don't think that should make anyone special. I am posting MHO

Monte Cristo
03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I despise people that save a spot for friends/family in lines. Yes, strong word I know, but that's how I feel.

It's amazing to me how many folks I see at DL who think it's perfectly acceptable. Doing it on Peter Pan, which has a notoriously long and slow line, is especially terrible. Why should I wait for half an hour only to have that wait lengthened because someone's husband/wife and their four kids wanted to take in an extra ride or go get churros? I don't wanna wait in line that long either, y'know.

I especially get annoyed at parents because it teaches their kids the wrong message. Yes, it's a theme park, yes, we're there to have fun. But there is still right and wrong, and that behavior is wrong.

Then again, I think it's disgusting that DL allows entire families to go to the front of a line if one person in the group is disabled or in a wheelchair for some reason. It's one thing to let, say, two or three people go with the person, but I've seen small parties get those privileges. Terrible.

Malcon10t
03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Then again, I think it's disgusting that DL allows entire families to go to the front of a line if one person in the group is disabled or in a wheelchair for some reason. It's one thing to let, say, two or three people go with the person, but I've seen small parties get those privileges. Terrible.
Whoa.... Disgusting?? To keep a family together? They dont go to the "front of the line", they have to use the handicap accessible line. They do limit it to 6. When we have a larger party than 6, the rest of our party enters the regular queue. When they reach the front, they then step aside (and wait LONGER) til the next accessible ride unit (or another HA user gets off) is available. Go to Space Mountain, that line is longer than the regular line. Same with IASW. We often skip riding IASW because it would take us 15 minutes to use the regular queue, but because we have to be in the HA queue, the wait can be over an hour (limited number of HA people due to evacuation procedures.) POTC is THE WORST! The wait is often twice that of the regular line. Yes, a few rides in Fantasyland are quicker, but once you average in the waits at the others, its not quicker.

Oh, and the "for some reason" for using the alternative entrance is because the queues are not accessible. Most new rides now are accessible and all of DCA is. And we wo't even be able to go on Nemo, we get to use the "Alternative Viewing area". Be happy you don't have to use the HA lines. And next time you think its disgusting, try thinking about what those that have to use it go thru.

yohomama212
03-11-2007, 08:51 PM

I think the whole "right to the front of the line" thing is a misconception. I went with some extended family at the beginning of the year, my ex-BIL who is in a wheelchair with MS, was among the group. We waited at the exit to POTC, where the handicapped entrance is, for over an hour. The normal stand-by wait time was the same. After that, we headed over to HM where we waited for 30 minutes to get in, stand-by wait time was about 45 minutes. It's not always a quick jump to the front of the line and we don't have to wait. We weren't with him the whole day, but from the family who was, that was the normal wait. Disabled guests have to wait their turn like everyone else, just sometimes at a different exit to facilitate an easier ride transfer. Gather the facts before you complain about the situation please.

Liz :cool:

Malcon10t
03-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I think the whole "right to the front of the line" thing is a misconception. I went with some extended family at the beginning of the year, my ex-BIL who is in a wheelchair with MS, was among the group. We waited at the exit to POTC, where the handicapped entrance is, for over an hour. The normal stand-by wait time was the same. After that, we headed over to HM where we waited for 30 minutes to get in, stand-by wait time was about 45 minutes. It's not always a quick jump to the front of the line and we don't have to wait. We weren't with him the whole day, but from the family who was, that was the normal wait. Disabled guests have to wait their turn like everyone else, just sometimes at a different exit to facilitate an easier ride transfer. Gather the facts before you complain about the situation please.

Liz :cool:There is a front of the line pass for the Make a Wish kids. I don't have a problem with this. I am just glad the have the ability to go.

Katlovett
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
My favorite approach for folks trying to sneak past me in line, for whatever reason (oh they've got a million of them), is to politely tell them no, and suggest that if the rest of their party really wants them to be together, they should step aside in the line and wait for them to catch up.

That's seems kind of harsh when you have a large family with little kids (who have little tiny bladders that seem to fill suddenly and without warning.) With potty breaks, presumably you saw them make their way out of the line but you won't let them back in? Those freakish parents who instruct their small children to pee in the bushes or other inappropriate places rather than leave the line for a potty break used to be a complete mystery to me, but maybe now I understand.

I am unclear how the person whom you are blocking the return of is supposed to cause their group to somehow know that "they should step aside in the line and wait for them to catch up" when that was not their pre-arranged plan. So, when the person whom you are blocking pushes past you, does a physical fight break out? What a stressful way to spend your time at Disneyland.

As a mother of five, maybe I am too much a softie for little kids. If I am in line for the bathroom and someone brings in a small child who needs to go, I always try to let them go in front of me. And it just seems odd to me that some people are upset by parents who don't pull their whole family out of line if only one child needs to go potty, or by parents who have one parent stand in line with the children/preteens/teenagers who are mature enough to stand still while the other parent chases the wiggly toddlers who may not be mature enough to stand still in a slow-moving line.

Katprint

geoffa
03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
(I really wish Disney would prohibit cell phone use on rides and during shows.)
I would like to invite everyone to take a deep breath, slow down, and savor the moment.

OFF TOPIC - and I wish cinemas and theatres would do the same. It's just so rude. I've no desire to listen to someone going on about their aches and pains, the bargain they got at the store, the fact that they are now getting on board Peter pan's flight or whatever mundane thing is going on in their lives. Cell phones are the curse of the age. One actor on the London stage stopped the performance of a play and demanded the cell phone user in the audience leave before he would continue.There are devices that block the signals but unfortunately would also block emergency calls.

ON TOPIC - Yes, life has got greatly complicated and people have become more aggressive. If only we could go back to the days of Main Street when things were a whole lot gentler. Seems progress doesn't always help us keep a balance in our lives.:)

cstephens
03-12-2007, 06:40 AM
POTC is THE WORST! The wait is often twice that of the regular line.

The last two Sundays, the accessible line for POTC was down past Pieces of Eight.

Malcon10t
03-12-2007, 07:11 AM
The last two Sundays, the accessible line for POTC was down past Pieces of Eight.Considering they can only handle 6 groups from this line every 15 minutes (due to evac reasons) that is a long line...

During the busy season, it gets down to the Royal Street Veranda.