PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's Greatest

Pages : [1] 2

SpaceMTJunkie
06-06-2002, 03:24 PM
What is the greatest thing that has ever been at Disneyland? Past or present. This could be anything from a parade, to a ride, to a show, to a place to eat (or a menu item for that matter) to nothing more than a good place to sit and people watch. As far as I am concerned, there will never be anything greater at Disneyland than The Main Street Electrical Parade.

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Wow you read my mind. I'm only 18 so not much to remember. The Main Street Electrical Parade is by far the best childhood memory I've ever had of Disneyland!! I still love seeing it at DCA, but something about it not being on Main Street just makes it different (and is it just more or is it shorter?). A CLOSE SECOND is the People Mover. I have so many memories of this thing, probably because it broke down so often ;). I still remember this one time it broke down with me and my mom on the very first part, when you first enter TL. We had to get off the ride and evacuate, and my mom was practically crying, because she had to walk on that skinny thing with no handrail and she is SOOO scared of heights. I think I was around 10, but I remember be scared myself too, but laughing at her made it all better :D

Lani
06-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Fantasmic. What I consider the park's only F! ticket. :D

innerSpaceman
06-06-2002, 04:04 PM
The best thing Disneyland has EVER done (ok, I didn't start to visit until 1970, so maybe some Walt-era things were better - but I doubt it) ... anyway the best post-Walt thing Disneyland has ever done was the 30th Birthday Party on July 17, 1985. The Park was open for 24 hours, and there were lots of live bands, and many celebratory events, including a 4:00 a.m. run of the newly returned Main Street Electrical Parade.

But the best parts of the event were 1) the anniversary commemoration ceremony at 2:00 p.m. on Main Street where they released about a billion balloons and sprayed 800 tons of confetti into the air until the entire world, from an inch in front of your eyes all the way out to the farthest reaches of the sky, was filled to the brim with drifting little balls of color. It was an incredible sight and experience which I will never forget.

-and-

2) the Midnight kick-off ceremony, where they transformed the balloon roof created over Main Street into a series of giant birthday candles that towered above the park by raising each piece of the roof in a series of strings, first the left, then the right, further and further down the street from Town Square to the Hub (think the finale of 'Be My Guest' from Beauty and the Beast). When all of the gigantic "candles" had been raised, a spectacular fireworks show began over Sleeping Beauty Castle, and as the grand finale, massive banks of colored lights in the parking lot and behind StorybookLand were lit, arching over the sky, and meeting over the Hub to create a giant rainbow spanning the entire Park which lit up the night until dawn. How they ever created the magnificent stripes of orange, red, blue, green, yellow & purple I will never know, but it was the best sight I have ever seen in the Magic Kingdom and one of the most memorable visuals of my entire life.

Ask anyone who was there for the 30th birthday. After the passing of Walt Disney, it was Disneyland's finest hour!

MonorailMan
06-06-2002, 04:06 PM
I agree with Lani. :D

DisneylandBoy
06-06-2002, 05:46 PM
I agree with Lani, too. While Disneyland has always been a place of new inventions, Fantasmic is so original and so . . . magical! I still get chills every time I hear the music! I LOVE FANTASMIC!

MagicBeliever
06-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Uncle Walt was the greatest thing to ever have been at Disneyland. :D

Mad Madam Mim
06-06-2002, 06:16 PM
I realize this is quite a lame answer in comparason to the others, but i have my sentament reasons...... It's a ride

The Submarine........... I realy miss it :(

that ride did for me what no other can do. Not now, not ever. It still does my heart good to put myself back there.

Sorry, i know there will be many disagreement....

coronamouseman
06-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Indiana Jones ride - never did a single ride so embody the things that made Disney great over the years - high-tech vehicles, spectacular staging, excellent sound score and a fantastic queue designed to provide the perfect setting to build anticipation for the ride itself.

Sure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain were definintely high-tech wonders, but Indy really is the only attraction with the total package ............

DisneylandKid
06-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Indiana Jones ride - never did a single ride so embody the things that made Disney great over the years - high-tech vehicles, spectacular staging, excellent sound score and a fantastic queue designed to provide the perfect setting to build anticipation for the ride itself.

Sure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain were definintely high-tech wonders, but Indy really is the only attraction with the total package ............ Ditto.

pinkpail
06-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Oh darn MagicBeliever took my answer! I haven't even been to Disneyland but I know Walt was the best ever!!:crying:

triciaj
06-06-2002, 07:42 PM
I'd go with the Main Street Electrical Parade too. I remember the first time I saw it, my visit in 1996 with my husband. It was June, after a long, hot day of rides and line ups we sat down and watched and it was simply wondrous.

Rallymonkey23
06-06-2002, 09:43 PM
I will have to agree with lani on this one.

(Innerspaceman- great story. I wish I would have been there. I bet it was incredible!!)

merlinjones
06-06-2002, 10:12 PM
My favorite Disneyland experience has always been TinkerBell's flight over Sleeping Beauty's Castle followed by fireworks, whether Fantasy in the Sky or the superior Beleive! It always gives me chills (though I do miss watching them from the deck of Captain Hook's Pirate Ship... an amazing view ). I'd bawl like a baby (the good way) if they would play the Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color song during Tink and fireworks... with lighting like the show opening.

(I was at the 30 hour party too - - it was a hoot... as was the 25 hour party for the silver anniversary...)

othe highlights for me:

flying over Disneyland in the Skyway buckets, looking down on the MSEP :crying:

Tahitian Terrace dinner and show :crying:

flying on Rocket Jets high over Tomorrowland :crying: :crying:

skeleton@thewheel
06-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Pirates of course!!

this ride goes back to my earliest memories of DL...

MSEP is close 2nd, recently seen this again at DCA after the long absence from DL and it was an experience to say the least.

Adventures thru Inner Space is still VERY much missed...

hmbldr
06-07-2002, 06:53 AM
I think your first or youngest impressions have some of the greatest impact. Adventures thru InnerSpace had an awesome affect on this, then, 10 year olds mind - still does.

I think Pirates is the quintessential ride.

MSEP will be endearing for all time. Where even an adult can marvel in fascination at the spectacular twinkling lights.

skeleton@thewheel
06-07-2002, 07:10 AM
I think your first or youngest impressions have some of the greatest impact. Adventures thru InnerSpace had an awesome affect on this, then, 10 year olds mind - still does.

I think Pirates is the quintessential ride.

MSEP will be endearing for all time. Where even an adult can marvel in fascination at the spectacular twinkling lights.

so true..... those were the only 2 rides I loved to ride again and again until my parents got tired!

:D

hefferdude
06-07-2002, 07:28 AM
I'm with MerlinJones.
The Electric Light Parade while sitting in a skyway gondola.
+++++++ [ :D]++++++[:cool:]+++++++++

elp...........elp............ elp............elp.............elp
---------------------------------------------------------

Second would be the elevated Rocket ships above the
people mover at night during any fireworks! Star Wars!

But if its whats now, then it would be Fantasmic! I
remember the media opening night ( quite a way back. )
Will never forget that first time. Almost like...:eek:

;)

ldsguy
06-07-2002, 07:48 AM
OSo many to choose from, and all that's been posted are cool, but my all time favortie would have to have been America Sings. But then again, I am the strange one thaty also loved Light Magic and the Rocket Rods.

MonorailMan
06-07-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy
I am the strange one thaty also loved Light Magic and the Rocket Rods.

I also liked them too. :)

Maximus
06-07-2002, 08:59 AM
I would also have to say that I loved the Light Magic parade a few years ago. Yes it was similar to MSEP, but I thought it was very hypnotic and exciting. Something I will remember very well.

Gemini Cricket
06-07-2002, 09:41 AM
1. Fantasmic!
2. MSELP @ Disneyland, not DCA. ;)
3. Lion King Parade

I'm sure if I sat longer and thought there'd be A LOT more, but these are at the top of my head. I have seen guests cry tears of joy after experiencing these three. That's powerful. :)

06-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Mad Madam Mim
I realize this is quite a lame answer in comparason to the others, but i have my sentament reasons...... It's a ride

The Submarine........... I realy miss it :(

that ride did for me what no other can do. Not now, not ever. It still does my heart good to put myself back there.

Yessss! The Submarine Voyage was the all-time greatest!

Bring back the subs! Bring back the subs! Bring back the subs!

innerSpaceman
06-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Let's hear it for some great parades:

Of course, the inevitable Disneyland classic of all time: The Main Street Electrical Parade.

The Lion King Parade - sexiest parade ever put on at Disneyland. Better than the movie, better than the Broadway show!

Fantasy-on-Parade - two nights only: on the nights of the Candlelight Procession, when a bunch of Disney VIPs were in the park, the performances of this parade were stellar, and would illustrate how much more wonderful the very same parade can be when the performers are giving it their all.

Last, but certainly not least, the oft-forgotten American Gazette Parade. This one was all about incredible performers and dancers, relegating elaborate floats to the background for once. As such, it was one of the most electrifying and entertaining parades ever performed at Disneyland.

cyberRoo
06-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Speaking of the Lion King Parade, am I the only one who thinks that they could bring it back at Christmas for the IMAX release?

Is it really so much to ask?