PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Californian Hotel average rate is now $504 a night

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
I was over at TripAdvisor.com checking out a few things, and saw that the average rate for the GCH is now $504 (last time I checked it was $460).

Heck, the Paradise Pier is now $289 and the Disneyland Hotel is $375.

I just can't see paying these type of prices when you can pay less than $150 for a really nice Hotel a block or two away that comes with things like Free Parking, Free Breakfast, some hotels have free dinners and cocktail hours, some with kitchens, etc....

Heck, all the really nice hotels in Newport Beach, which are on the ocean, are less than the GCH...

VickiC
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Obviously someone is paying it. (not me!!!)

Darkbeer
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Obviously someone is paying it. (not me!!!)

Oh I know it is truly supply and demand that is allowing Disney to charge so much. But it is just the dollar amount that shocks me, and then you need to add the resort fee and hotel taxes to the rate.

Vegitabeta
03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
That is way overpriced! Who can afford that?!

kassiekat
03-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Personally, when we go to Disneyland, we are in the park from opening till they close. We usually hit the sack as soon as we get in the room at night, and in the morning it's a quick dash out the door again. I can't imagine spending $500 for a room that I'm barely in!

Actually even if I were going to be sitting around the hotel all day long, I wouldn't pay that much!

But someone is willing to pay it, obviously :D

Last week we stayed across the street at the Del Sol for $69 and that was just right for us.

ralfrick
03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
You should sit down for this one!

We're going to DLP in July. Out of curiosity, I punched in our dates for a quote at the DL Hotel there. For a standard room, Sunday and Monday night, after deducting the cost of the tickets, the rate was $877 per night!!!!!

A bientot.

Malcon10t
03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Heck, all the really nice hotels in Newport Beach, which are on the ocean, are less than the GCH...We prefer to stay at the places across the street too. Sad part, within the family, we have a "summer home" in Newport Beach, on the beach. Everyone keeps telling me "Use it, save the hotel cost", it's 5 bedrooms, very nice... But, we like to go back to the hotel in the afternoon, you can't do that when its in Newport beach... Maybe we will try it this summer finally....

Can someone who knows tell me, how far is it from pier area of Newport Beach (house is just down the street) to Disneyland?

Vegitabeta
03-07-2007, 08:14 AM
You should sit down for this one!

We're going to DLP in July. Out of curiosity, I punched in our dates for a quote at the DL Hotel there. For a standard room, Sunday and Monday night, after deducting the cost of the tickets, the rate was $877 per night!!!!!

A bientot.
Wow:eek:

jeffthechef
03-07-2007, 08:39 AM
This is the reason that we are staying at HoJo's for a week in May. We have stayed at PP for the last 3 trips. This time, however, we are paying for five nights at HoJo's for the same price of one night at DGC. Sorry Disney, but Economics 101 taught me that the cost: benefit ratio does not come close at all:fez: I also was a bit fed up with the "Resort Fee" that they add on when you arrive.

Does ianyone know if they are pulling the same scam in Florida, where there are fewer options?

Competition is a very good thing!

shanbri
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
I was shocked when I seen those prices so I went to look myself. At Expedia I punched in dates in mid july for an example. Paradise Pier was $255 Disneyland hotel was $285 and Grand California was $380. These were the stand rooms though.

VickiC
03-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I think I'd stay at the Newport Beach house for a few days just to enjoy the beach, then move to a hotel near DL. It's not that it's that far to Newport Beach but the street traffic is bad, just getting to the freeway from the pier area can take 15 or 20 minutes in the summer. But I'm a beach person and in the summer my kids and I would rather be at the beach than DL. (Hope that isn't grounds for being dismissed)

Vegitabeta
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
But I'm a beach person and in the summer my kids and I would rather be at the beach than DL. (Hope that isn't grounds for being dismissed)

:|

yellowrosedtxn
03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I haven't really figured out how much it is costing us (per night) for our Christmas stay. This is the first (and probably ONLY) time that we are staying at the Grand Californian. BUT If they did jack up the price and see a drop in people staying there, you are more likely going to find AP rates or "specials" coming up just so they can fill up the place.

pisces
03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I was over at TripAdvisor.com checking out a few things, and saw that the average rate for the GCH is now $504 (last time I checked it was $460).

That's not the "average" rate for GCH.

I went to the actual Disney site and looked it up.

Keep in mind the whole place is sold out for March, but I went in and got a rate for April 24 of $380.00 per night

On Disney's own site they are listing GCH rooms for $380.00 a night.

That's an "average" room, on an "average" night.

For peak periods, and a guaranteed Park View.....it may very well be $500.00...but that's not "average".

On a normal night, normal view it's $380.00---but keep in mind the AAA discount, and any AP discounts/specials may lower it down to $350.00 or less.

I always think it's funny that someone who's never stayed at a place feels free to judge what it's like. But, ok....I guess we all do it sometimes.

http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120764121-M-LB

Vegitabeta
03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I always think it's funny that someone who's never stayed at a place feels free to judge what it's like. But, ok....I guess we all do it sometimes.

http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120764121-M-LB

Well, nobody's gonna want to find out what it's like at those prices! lol

Jennifer
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Ralfrick - are you a member of AAA? I just checked AAA package prices at the DL hotel for July 15&16 with a 3 day hopper, and the total for 2 adults was $966.

So deducting the $358 ($179 pp) for the 3 day hoppers - the hotel would be $304 per night including tax and the resort fee (plus all the extras that Disney offers with their packages).

Now, I'm not saying $304 isn't a lot, but it's certainly better than $877.

Malcon10t
03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Ralfrick - are you a member of AAA? I just checked AAA package prices at the DL hotel for July 15&16 with a 3 day hopper, and the total for 2 adults was $966.

So deducting the $358 ($179 pp) for the 3 day hoppers - the hotel would be $304 per night including tax and the resort fee (plus all the extras that Disney offers with their packages).

Now, I'm not saying $304 isn't alot, but it's certainly better than $877.Ralfrick was referring to DLP (Disneyland Paris). Trying to make us feel better about our $500 a night...

Jennifer
03-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Ralfrick was referring to DLP (Disneyland Paris). Trying to make us feel better about our $500 a night...

Ah! That would make a difference ;)

cstephens
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the "average" price makes any difference. That means there are rooms for less than that and rooms for more than that. Why wouldn't someone get one of the lower-prices ones instead if they wanted to pay less?

That being said, I've only stayed at the GC once, and that was part of an event package, so I have no idea what our night rate was. Since we're local, we don't stay down there often, and if we do, it's at the Tropicana.

But if someone likes the amenities that the GC offers, then the higher price would probably be worth it to them.

Malcon10t
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
TOn Disney's own site they are listing GCH rooms for $380.00 a night.

That's an "average" room, on an "average" night.

For peak periods, and a guaranteed Park View.....it may very well be $500.00...but that's not "average".

On a normal night, normal view it's $380.00---but keep in mind the AAA discount, and any AP discounts/specials may lower it down to $350.00 or less.Actually, what you are showing is the "lowest" not an "average". Average would be the middle ground. Comparing the lowest to the highest isn't fair either. I just called and over Christmas the rooms are $420-515 for regular rooms and $700-760 for conceirge at the GCH, plus resort fees and taxes. There is a 10% discount on regular rooms for AP (they are too close to being sold out on conceirge to offer a discount.) So, the $420 room, after taxes and fees would be $498 a night. For an AP that room would be $450 a night.

Average cost is $594 for a non AP. This is not a true average, as a true average you would calculate the cost of each room of the hotel, divide by the number of rooms, which is probably how Trip Advisor did it.

So, for what it would cost to stay at the GCH for 3 nights, I am staying 12 nights at the Residence Inn Maingate in a suite and with a hot breakfast and evening snacks.

Nancy
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the "average" price makes any difference. That means there are rooms for less than that and rooms for more than that. Why wouldn't someone get one of the lower-prices ones instead if they wanted to pay less?

That being said, I've only stayed at the GC once, and that was part of an event package, so I have no idea what our night rate was. Since we're local, we don't stay down there often, and if we do, it's at the Tropicana.

But if someone likes the amenities that the GC offers, then the higher price would probably be worth it to them.

I was just complaining the price of the Tropicana has not gone down since the 50th is over. Why should they when the on property places are so outragous. I guess the $69 days are gone!

Hi-Ho
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
This is why I posted a thread about a week ago asking about discounts at GCH. It's just outrageous!! There are so many more reasonably priced Disney hotels at WDW. We love staying at those and would love to stay at GCH or DLH, but just can't justify the price when we spend most of the time in the parks. So we continue to return to Candy Cane Inn as we will do the end of this April. Yay!!!

Since there is lots of Newport talk....after 4 days at DL, we want to go somewhere else nearby to park it at the pool for a few days. Does anyone have suggestions on hotels in Newport with nice pools? :fez:

pisces
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I was just complaining the price of the Tropicana has not gone down since the 50th is over. Why should they when the on property places are so outragous. I guess the $69 days are gone!

I paid $180.00 per night (including AAA) over New Years for Best Western Park Place.

Yes, it was a crowded, busy, sold-out time, but still-----I still thought $180.00 was rather expensive for a Harbor Blvd place, New Years or not.

At no point in time, did I feel it was the same as GCH. Not even if you squint your eyes does it seem remotely like GCH.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't GCH.

And, I wasn't in the room at BWPP. I soooo wasn't in the room on NYE, but even still, there was no way to fool one's self into thinking you were at the Grand Californian.

So, yes there are differences in price, but believe you me.....there's a big difference in ambience too.

biolabetty
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
We stayed in a concierge GCH room the week before Christmas, a courtyard view room. When I checked for spring break, the price was over $100 more than it had been at Christmas. When I asked them why it was so much more than at Christmas, I was told that it depended on the time of year and that spring break was always more expensive. I know that's true, but Christmas is pretty expensive too, so I don't believe that is a valid argument, they just didn't want to say that the price has gone up tremendously this year.

We prefer to stay at the GCH because we go with two small children and one 78 year old grandmother. The location for them is the best, so they can go rest whenever they want to, and the trip isn't too far. If it weren't for that, we would stay at the Embassy Suites, I love their free breakfast.

Malcon10t
03-07-2007, 12:38 PM
We prefer to stay at the GCH because we go with two small children and one 78 year old grandmother. The location for them is the best, so they can go rest whenever they want to, and the trip isn't too far. A lot of people say that, but distance wise, several of the hotels across the street are actually closer than some of the GCH rooms. Using g-ped (which I don't have on this computer) it was shown by I think Alex Stroup, that BW Park Place and the Park Vue are actually closer to the gates than the closest GCH room. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46907