PDA

View Full Version : AP renewal question...

skeleton@thewheel
06-06-2002, 03:09 PM
hey everyone.....

just realized my PAP expires 06/20/02 *gasp*

this is probably a dumb question, but this is my very first AP:

when I renew, do I still get charged the FULL price??

I now live in socal but when I got this, I was living in AZ but love the 2 park option... I have not received any info in the mail from DL either for the renewal.... has anyone else??

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 03:12 PM
DLR no longer sends out reminder notices for AP renewal (at least so I've heard, seems dumb if you ask me). Also you are charged the current full price, which is $219 (despite what people say I think it's a hell of a bargain). Have fun with your PAP and be sure to GET IT RENEWED ASAP!! :D

hbquikcomjamesl
06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
My renewal notice arrived sometime between May 23rd and June 3rd (while I was on vacation; I'm due on July 3rd). And there is, for Deluxe and Premium levels, a renewal discount.

If you're due on the 20th, and haven't received your renewal notice yet, you should call about it.

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Ummm renewal discount? You sure about that one... Time for some investigative work! I'm pretty sure they don't offer a renewal discount. I'm not sure about the renewal notice, mine isn't due up for almost another year and I've heard they aren't sending them out anymore, though I could be mistaken.

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 03:34 PM
A little research goes a long way :D . There IS an AP discount for Deluxe and Premium AP Holders. It is $20 off, which means it will cost you $199 to renew your PAP. You can either do it at the park, or by mailing in a form from Disneyland.com. If you mail it in you get a 1 time 20% discount on Merchandise coupon, but there is a $1 fee for mailing it in. It's your choice how to renew, but by mail will take around 12 business days. If your close to the park, just go there and do it. I still can't find out if they mail out reminders still. My guess is from that previous post that they still do.

Darkbeer
06-06-2002, 04:07 PM
But if you are NOT planning to go to the park in the near future, WAIT!!!!

The $20 discount is worth 33 days ($20/$219*365), so if you are not planning to return to the park until August or later, then Don't renew, and just get a new AP, that will expire 365 days after purchase... If you go weekly, then yes, renew PRIOR to June 20th, you can do it at the Guest Relations booth, to the left of the main gate, they will give you the renewal price, and NOT charge the postage/handling fee....You don't need the renewal notice!

skeleton@thewheel
06-06-2002, 05:16 PM
thanks everyone!

The $20 discount is worth 33 days ($20/$219*365), so if you are not planning to return to the park until August or later, then Don't renew, and just get a new AP, that will expire 365 days after purchase... If you go weekly, then yes, renew PRIOR to June 20th

I'm confused on this one! I do live close to the park and DO want to renew but if I do before the 20th, your saying the PAP will only be good for 33 days and NOT another 365?

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Wow he didn't word that one very well. No that is not what he is saying. No matter when you renew it will be valid for another year after the original expiration date on your AP. What he IS saying is that if you don't intend to go to the park in the next 33 days after your AP expires, it is worth your money to NOT renew now and just get a new AP next time you visit (and have to pay $219 instead of $199). This would allow you to get a later expiration date, but this is only a good idea if you don't plan on going to the park within 33 days of your AP expiring (what an awful thought :eek: ).

If this makes no sense to you do this. Go to the park and renew your AP for $199. You will keep the same expiration date, but obviously 1 year later. Then enjoy your Disneyland time and stop thinking so much about this ;)

coronamouseman
06-07-2002, 05:48 AM
Maybe the most important point has been overlooked here - whatever you decide to do, just make sure you go to the Guest Relations Window - virtually no line and they can use your old photos on the new AP - you will be done in just a few minutes!

skeleton@thewheel
06-07-2002, 05:49 AM
If this makes no sense to you do this. Go to the park and renew your AP for $199. You will keep the same expiration date, but obviously 1 year later. Then enjoy your Disneyland time and stop thinking so much about this

LOL!

thank you NMoreles and everyone else that replied...

:)

SzczerbiakManiac
06-07-2002, 10:34 AM
This thread got me to thinking, how early can one renew their passport?

Here's what I'm thinking: It's pretty much a given that AP prices will rise in the (near) future. If I wanted to try and take advantage of today's "low" prices, could I "renew" my AP today even though it doesn't expire until February 2003? And if so, how many years worth of passports can I purchase at a time?

I'm fairly certain Disney won't let you do what I just described, but I figured I'd just throw it out there and see what y'all have to say.

Ghoulish Delight
06-07-2002, 12:06 PM
No idea about that one SM. Somehow, I doubt you could get away with it.

And did anyone notice, they raised AP prices $30, and then "kindly" offer us $20 off. So if you bought yours new last time, you AP "discount" is $10 more than before, and if you renewed last year, with a $10 discount, you're paying $20 more :rolleyes: Any more discounts and I'm going to go broke!!

Disney Nick
06-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Hrm.... Consider that dismaying observation... ;)

adriennek
06-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Actually, they raised the price of my AP $20 and then offered $20 off, so now I'm paying the "old" full price.

FWIW, if I remember correctly, I only got $10 off my AP last time I renewed so I'm getting a little "more" off this time. Even with the price increase, I'm getting a higher percentage discount. Unless my memory is failing me and I'm sure someone around here will be happy to point it out to me if it is :D

Adrienne K

Ghoulish Delight
06-07-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Actually, they raised the price of my AP $20 and then offered $20 off, so now I'm paying the "old" full price.

FWIW, if I remember correctly, I only got $10 off my AP last time I renewed so I'm getting a little "more" off this time. Even with the price increase, I'm getting a higher percentage discount. Unless my memory is failing me and I'm sure someone around here will be happy to point it out to me if it is :D

Adrienne K Yeah, the previous renewal discount was $10 instead of $20. Was the most recent AP price hike $20? I thought it was a $30 hike. I could be wrong. Hrmm, now that I think about it, $139 does sound like the old price for the Deluxe. Maybe I was thinking $30 over the discounted renewal price. Oh well, either way, I'd pay more than I did last year :mad:

Gauchograd99
06-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Look on the bright side there Ghoulish... you don't have to buy two passes! I have to get mine and my lovely girlfriends too or else I would catch nothing but h-e-double hockey sticks.... not a good thing.:eek:

Rallymonkey23
06-08-2002, 09:32 PM
This topic made me think of something that happened to me recently. We were comming out of DCA and a guy asked us if we were AP's or had bought tickets. We asked him why he was asking and he said that he wanted to try and find someone with a 1 day passport so he could take it to the AP processing booth with his wife (which was standing near by, come to find out) and get her an annual pass. He went on to say that is would save him $45.00 for the pass. The guy had a point. I wonder how that would work out renewing an AP??

Gauchograd99
06-09-2002, 06:40 AM
I get the feeling that in a renewal situation unless your pass has expired they would allow applying a 1-day pass as they would assume it is not your day pass... even if you bought it for yourself. Just a guess here, but nice try. :)