PDA

View Full Version : WDW DVC - Work there or buy in?

Chicago Wookiee
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
What a great article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm070306atp)today by Tony Phoenix regarding the DVC and what all the numbers add up to if you are thinking about a purchase.

After having had discussions at some of the DVC kiosks during past visits and having read alot about it I would consider buying in to the plan with us going every nine months or so. If I am to buy is the best place to do it there on vacation? What kind of "free" stuff or promos have been offered there -vs- just doing it over the phone?

Recently DVC announced that they are opening a sales office here in the Chicago area (Woodfield mall) and they are currently looking for employees. I'm a seasoned sales and operations manager for big-box retail and have decided to change jobs... has anyone worked for DVC and have any ideas or comments??

ericles
03-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree - it was a great article.

we've been struggling with the same question- should we make a special trip to hear the "deal" and talk face to face, or should we do it over the phone? I guess time and opportunity will answer that question for us:rolleyes:

mom22gls
03-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I took the tour in August. They offer you ice cream at the end and gave us some special fastpasses, but those were the only perks. I did not decide to buy in until we got home, but it was easy to arrange over the phone, and through the mail. A good article, but there were a few points he did not really address. One is that, for larger families, or with older kids, you probably need two hotel rooms, or a more expensive, larger room, so comparing a DVC room rental to one, moderate room is not a good comparison. Having a one-or two bedroom unit, with it's amenities is really "more" than even two standard hotel rooms. Another point is that, it is true that certain uses of DVC points are more economical, for example staying Sunday-Thursday nights can be half the number of points per night, than a Friday or Saturday stay. Also, going on a cruise or staying at a non-Disney destination is more points, than staying at one of the WDW resorts. You have already, however, "paid" for the points, so why not use them, as opposed to paying OOP for vacation expenses, if the point accounting works (or you can make it work, to have the vacation you want). We are new DVC owners, and decided, recently, to extend our five-night, Sunday-Thursday stay in August, to the weekend. We don't have enough points to stay at a one-bedroom unit over the weekend, unless I borrow from next year, which I would prefer not to do. I debated just staying on-site, using my AP discount. Finally, I decided that we could swing a studio for the weekend, and still have a few points to bank, rather than shelling out cash for a hotel room. I was surprised to get a studio at the Beach Club. We will have the opportunity to stay at a wonderful hotel for the weekend, and it will not "cost" us anything OOP, that we haven't already paid for. To stay at a Deluxe for two nights would be over $400 (maybe over $600 depending on the hotel), plus taxes. The alternative could be to have enough points to squeeze in a second trip this year, but, this way, we are only paying for airfare once. Works for me.

efoxx
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
incentives vary but often include a meal or other food as noted above, as well as the FP. additional incentives may be offered when you buy. for use when we bought and because we were there in the middle of our vacation disney comped our stay by way of reducing the cost by $2000. in exchange we gave up our points for that use year ie we bought in Nov. 2000, our use year is June, so our first points were in June 2001. for us that worked out ok as we weren't planning another trip till well after that.

pros for buying on site:
1. incentives are usually only offered there, while they may (and did in our case) allow you to think about it till you get home and still get the incentives.
2. being actually on site, which is always good, cause hey your at WDW.
3. you can tell them that Brian and Wendy sent you and we can get the bonus for being your sponser. but heck you can do that even here in Chicago ;)

con's for buying on site
1. it will probably be some time before you get to use your DVC unless you happen to be idly rich or something.
2. well I can't think of anything else...

BTW Chicago Wookiee WFoxx and i were just talking about maybe she should go to work for DVC. I don't know how they are to work for as I haven't done that yet, but I can say that our sales rep from way back in y2k still works for them, I bet you would be hard pressed to find that anywhere else in the time share business

Chicago Wookiee
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
OK. Some great information so far.

I understand about the 11 months / 6 months to get a room in the resort you want. I wouldn't much care about where I stay so that is not an issue (or should it be?).

Will the points cost the same at the new AK DVC as points being sold at the current DVC - I would guess you would just need more points for a room at AK?

I've seen much about buying additional points and borrowing your own points from the following year... can you "bank" or roll-over points if they are not used right away? (like I would ever need that?!?)

efoxx
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
OK. Some great information so far.

I understand about the 11 months / 6 months to get a room in the resort you want. I wouldn't much care about where I stay so that is not an issue (or should it be?).

Will the points cost the same at the new AK DVC as points being sold at the current DVC - I would guess you would just need more points for a room at AK?

I've seen much about buying additional points and borrowing your own points from the following year... can you "bank" or roll-over points if they are not used right away? (like I would ever need that?!?)
Let me see if I can help. first of all it's 11 months from the date you check out for your home resort, 7 months for other resorts. certain other things, like the DCL can be booked up to 24 months in advance. usually if you want to go at a specific time it is a good idea to make the rsv. as soon as you can, so the home resort is important in insuring you get to stay WHEN you want. as DVC has become more popular it is a bit harder to stay where you want. BCV are very populae right now and are almost always filled, OKW, VB, and HH are not so popular and can be booked fairly easily. so if you buy into SS and REALLY want to go on a specific date to WDW and know the dates 11 months in advance then you want to book your stay at SS springs on that date. then if you REALLY want to stay at say BWV then 7 months out you want to call and try and transfer over there. there is a waiting list, and sometimes that works out, we're hitting about 50% of the time on that one.

in your question about the cost of pts do you mean does a room at a specific resort cost the same as at another resort? the answer to that is depends... OKW has the lowest price structure at WDW, with BWV non prefered view being next, after that it seems to be the same for an equivalent room at all the other DVC resorts with the points being different only by a point or two a night. that being said the points chart for AKL is now posted on the DVC members web site, and it has a completly different pricing structure. listed on the available rooms are "value rooms, standard view, savanah view, and conceirge rooms". points for the the value rooms looks to be somewhat less (8 pts per week night during low season as opposed to 11-12 elsewhere) I've a feeling these are just standard hotel rooms, but I don't really know.

if your question is about the dollar cost of points, well they go up every year. after market buying will save you some money, but you do have a reduced life of the points. (like I'm really going to need those points after my 82 birthday) savy shopping can get you some great deals, like we once just missed out on 200 WL pts. @ 68/pt with 140 banked, 200 in that year, and 200 comming in 5 months. or 540 points available on closing!!:fez:

banking points works like this. at the beginning of your use year you can bank all your points into next year (yeah right like that's ever gonna happen to us) as the year progresses the amount of points you can bank goes down. eventually if you didn't bank, and didn't use any points you will lose them altogether. if you bank points to the next year they MUST be used in that year, and you cannot unbank them. which has led us into a few odd positions, where we were borrowing next years points to go this year because we had banked some points for next year and now we couldn't use them. ultimatly you can have as many as three years points available, but in order to do this consistantly you could only use your points every three years.

Chicago Wookiee
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
For the most part I wouldn't ever think there would be more than two of us in a room. Can you use a DVC room for how ever many people will fit?

We almost always use the dining option with our Disney package even when we need to pay full price for it. Will we miss out on this plan if we go DVC?

Often it's just me and my 13 year old son. We almost always stay at a moderate resort but thats more because of the nicer staff and not as many screaming children than it is because of room side or such. We go every nine months for about five or six days. The more I read about DVC I'm starting to think it's more than we will need.

Tony
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the article. It has been an interesting experience.

What kind of "free" stuff or promos have been offered there -vs- just doing it over the phone?

....has anyone worked for DVC and have any ideas or comments??
Specials are the regardless of how you buy (in person or by phone/mail. They aren't offering much in the way of discounts at the moment.

As for working at DVC, I have never worked for them. But I can tell you that cast members get a very good discount on a DVC purchase. Most of the people I have met who work for DVC have been there for years.

For the most part I wouldn't ever think there would be more than two of us in a room. Can you use a DVC room for how ever many people will fit?

We almost always use the dining option with our Disney package even when we need to pay full price for it. Will we miss out on this plan if we go DVC?

Dining package is available as part of any DVC stay. You can use the room up to its capacity - a studio and one bedroom for 4, a two bedroom for 8 and a three bedroom for 12.

geoffa
03-08-2007, 02:48 AM
We've just bought in to DVC at Saratoga Springs (They started to offer Animal Kingdom Lodge one week after we signed our contract). We got a $1500 discount which was a special offer at that moment in time. They do offers from time to time so its worth checking this out. It more than covers closing costs etc. The dining package is available to DVC members just like anybody else staying on property. We chose DVC because of the flexibility of when we can go, where we can go and the fact that we can bank or borrow points if we want a a more plush room or abigger property for more memebers of our family. Most European time shares tie you to a particular week and the same old resort year after year. I can thoroughly recommend Janna Mazza at the DVC office.(She was Jenna Cornell when we first met her in 2000 - yes, it took us 7 years to decide!) She's more than willing to answer all questions you may have and doesn't try to rush you into decisions. I'm sure her colleagues are just as helpful.

Also worth noting is that Disney is now starting up DVC outlets in major US cities. The first will be Chicago:

"Disney Vacation Club heads to Chicago
Late this summer, Disney Vacation Club is scheduled to open Disney's Doorway to Dreams, a first-of-its-kind preview center in suburban Chicago's popular Woodfield Mall.

The 6,300-square-foot space will feature an interactive family vacation discovery zone, a children's play area and a full-scale, two-bedroom model Vacation Home representing accommodations at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, the eighth and "wildest" Disney Vacation Club Resort.

Staffed by Cast Members and designed by Walt Disney Imagineering, Disney's Doorway to Dreams will aim to offer the warm and immersive experience Guests expect from Disney." (from the DVC members site)

I just checked and they are still offering the $1500 discount at Saratoga Springs:

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortDetail?id=ProspectsSaratogaSpringsSpecialOff erPage

Gabs12231993
03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Is DVC like a suite? If so, how much does it cost to become a member? I'm trying to talk my dad into buying.

stan4d_steph
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Is DVC like a suite? If so, how much does it cost to become a member? I'm trying to talk my dad into buying.Check out this recent article at MousePlanet for information on cost (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm070306atp).

Chicago Wookiee
03-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Dining package is available as part of any DVC stay.

So when you stay at a DVC in a room that holds six but only have four staying there what is the requirement for the number people you purchase the dining plan for?? Must it be purchased for six? four? or what if just two want the plan? I know Disney is not flexible with this in the regular resorts.

We've just bought in to DVC at Saratoga Springs (They started to offer Animal Kingdom Lodge one week after we signed our contract). We got a $1500 discount which was a special offer at that moment in time. They do offers from time to time so its worth checking this out. It more than covers closing costs etc.

Many companies offer free vacations to Vegas or Orlando to get you to come see their time share offers for a half day or such. We know that Disney does not need to put up huge offers to close a deal but I have to think they may "sweeten" the pot with these satellite operations like the new one here in Chicago. Any thoughts?

Tony
03-11-2007, 09:18 AM
So when you stay at a DVC in a room that holds six but only have four staying there what is the requirement for the number people you purchase the dining plan for?? Must it be purchased for six? four? or what if just two want the plan? I know Disney is not flexible with this in the regular resorts.

Many companies offer free vacations to Vegas or Orlando to get you to come see their time share offers for a half day or such. We know that Disney does not need to put up huge offers to close a deal but I have to think they may "sweeten" the pot with these satellite operations like the new one here in Chicago. Any thoughts?

When you book, you tell Member Services the names of all your guests. If you want to add the dining plan, you have to add it for all of the guests in your room. So, you would have to add it for all four.

One other warning about DDP - make sure you add it to your reservation before you arrive on property. Once you arrive, you cannot add it.

As for freebies like that, I seriously doubt that they will offer anything like that in Chicago. They have had the preview center at Disneyland for almost two years now, and even without a DVC resort there, they aren't offering a free stay.

DVC has been selling faster than they ever expected. Saratoga Springs was supposed to provide something like 5-7 years worth of sales for them. Instead it is expected to sell out in a little over 3. That's why Animal Kingdom was brought on-line so quickly.

Chicago Wookiee
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered!!

And if you didn't read that article that Tony wrote please do so as it's an easy and fast read with a good incite to the DVC world.

I have decided to check into the positions available at the new DVC sales center in Chicago. I'll keep all of you updated as to if I apply to them.