PDA

View Full Version : Basic Parade Do's and Don'ts

mask41
03-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I am just looking for basic tips on watching the parades since this will be a first for us. So, where and when to line up and anything else we should know about parade watching would really be appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!

samsma
03-06-2007, 07:04 AM
When we were there in Feb. We saw the parade from the main street rail road platform.It was excellent! We got there 30 min before the parade,and had a bench to sit on(where no one could stand in front of us).There are seats in the middle(canlook right down mainstreet-they are reserved, don't sit there ,they will ask you to move.)I don't know how you get your name on the list.We sat to the right of those seats, and it was wonderful.Because you are high above street level, you end up being even height with the floats. I would recommend this spot!

Malcon10t
03-06-2007, 07:54 AM
There are seats in the middle(canlook right down mainstreet-they are reserved, don't sit there ,they will ask you to move.)I don't know how you get your name on the list.They are reserved for the tour groups. Sign up for a tour that ends around the parade time and you can have a seat there.

Vegitabeta
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
If you see people sitting along the street, join them...you really don't have time to sqeeze in that quick ride! By the time you come out all the good spots will be taken.
Try and get into a good place for taking photos, like at the front and away from corners, trying to take a good photo on a corner is tricky!
Don't let anyone push you away from the front! Best thing is to sit down, preferably on the curb if you are on Main Street.
Finally, enjoy!

Bytebear
03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I like the area to the right of Small World, either in front of the raised steps, or on the raised step area. They have another reserved area there where they set up folding chairs. If you are willing to stand through the parade, standing behind them (behind the wall) is a good spot for photos, because you have the Small World facade behind the floats.

PanFan
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Here's a thread that has lots of parade info:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=67053

Like I said in there, my favorite spot is the small walkway between Alice in Wonderland and the Tea Cups. It remains a walkway until about 10 minutes before showtime, so you can arrive much later than at other spots and still have front row viewing. There's no viewing from the Matterhorn queue across the way, so all character interaction is on the small group of people there. If the CM there hasn't set up the rope yet when you get there, just wait--I promise this walkway does become parade viewing.

As far as parade-watching etiquette, just common courtesy applies. Please follow all directions given by CM's, even if you don't understand them. It's a tough job to manage such a huge group of people and making exceptions just initiates huge chain reactions, making their job even harder. Keep your party together!!! If you must separate from them (e.g. potty break, grabbing some churros), stay on the same side of the street that they are on, even if you have to walk a little further to get where you want to go (i.e. if you're on the Matterhorn side of the route, go to the restroom in Tomorrowland, not Fantasyland). The closer it gets to parade time the more difficult it becomes to cross the street up to the point that they cannot let you at all.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else :)

Have fun--I absolutely love this parade! I see it up to 6 times a week at work (IASW) and still tend to watch it when I'm in the park as a guest. Enjoy!!

neverlander
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
As far as parade-watching etiquette, just common courtesy applies.

The first time we viewed the parade, we didn't get there ahead of time and we were struggling to see. Some kind folks sitting on the curb scrunched together and motioned for our little ones to sit with them. It was such a kind gesture; we now reciprocate when we have a good spot. I like to sit down and wait then switch places with any small children behind me. It doesn't hurt DH and I to stand, and people really appreciate that.

Bytebear
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
We go to the park often, and are not huge parade fans, and so we will often people watch from a bench on the parade route. When the parade is about to start, we offer our seats to a passing family. It's one of my favorite Disney traditions.

jcruise86
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
We go to the park often, and are not huge parade fans, and so we will often people watch from a bench on the parade route. When the parade is about to start, we offer our seats to a passing family. It's one of my favorite Disney traditions.
Excellent tradition! Creative & altruistic: impressive combination!

Vegitabeta
03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
The first time we viewed the parade, we didn't get there ahead of time and we were struggling to see. Some kind folks sitting on the curb scrunched together and motioned for our little ones to sit with them. It was such a kind gesture; we now reciprocate when we have a good spot. I like to sit down and wait then switch places with any small children behind me. It doesn't hurt DH and I to stand, and people really appreciate that.
That's kind. I had like a load of small kids behind me at DLP when I was waiting for the parade, and their parent's wanted me to let them in front of me, which I was ok with. But then the sneaky parents tried to stand with their kids too, ignorant! I'm not very tall, and I was doing them a favour, sheesh, get there earlier!:rolleyes:

WITron
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
My favorite spot is over by the Alice bathrooms across from the Materhorn.

mousemom
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
My favorite spot is over by the Alice bathrooms across from the Materhorn.

That spot worked really well for me too this last trip. I was able to get a good view of everything before it was on top of us and good closeup shots also. Besides...it never hurts to be close to the bathrooms!

disney jones
03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
everything above is for the POD in DL.

if you can, see the Main Street Electrical parade at DCA - its the best.

a lot of us, especially with younger kids, like the Block Party Bash too at DCA better than the DL POD - it has Toy Story, Monsters Inc and Bugs Life characters, and "high energy" dance music.

for the POD, different floats make different stops - pick a float you might like and figure out where to be when it stops and does it's 5 minute performance. my favorite is the Lion King float.

Bytebear
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Before you ask, POD stands for Parade of Dreams.

mask41
03-07-2007, 07:10 AM
We have dinner reservations at Trattoria at 6pm. Block Party Bash is at 5:15pm and Trattoria seems to be on the parade route. Would it make sense to watch the BPB from in front of Trattoria then slide right in for dinner? Would it be too early for our 6:00pm dinner reservation, should we move our reservation, or is this not a good spot to watch the parade from?
Thanks again!!

my2girls
03-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I've watched by the castle. We found a spot to sit on the ground in front of the fence. We headed over about 30 min early. One person sat with the kids while the other got ice cream for everyone. It was nice to get their early and relax. We also spread out and gave ourselves some room. When it was time for the parade to come we would scrunch together and put kids on laps so those last minute people could get a good seat too!

And a tip. If you are an adult, please don't stand up in the front. Move to the back so people and kids can sit in the front. That way everyone can see.

disney jones
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
We have dinner reservations at Trattoria at 6pm. Block Party Bash is at 5:15pm and Trattoria seems to be on the parade route. Would it make sense to watch the BPB from in front of Trattoria then slide right in for dinner? Would it be too early for our 6:00pm dinner reservation, should we move our reservation, or is this not a good spot to watch the parade from?
Thanks again!!
BPB makes 2 (or 3 perhaps) "stops" - it's better described as a moving street show than a parade. you want to watch it at a "stop", and pick one the three groups (TS, MI, ABL) you think your family would enjoy most. TS is the one we like best.

The 2nd stop is near Trattoria - so your plan makes perfect sense - just figure out which group you want to see on the 2nd stop, watch it from the 'curb' there, then you can easily make your Trattoria ressies which will be a few steps away.

another 'must' "parade" at DCA if you have kids into High School Musical is the High School Musical street show. BPB is more of a moving street show too.

just ask CMs that day, before the parade about these things if they aren't clear in this writing.

Disgruntled CM
03-25-2007, 02:19 AM
I do have 1, really important thing to tell all parents who visit our parades.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR KIDS OFF OF THE PARADE ROUTES!!! Floats are terribly difficult to see out of for us. It's hard enough to maneuver those huge parade floats down those tiny parade routes as it is. We can only see what's directly in front of us and those floats don't exactly stop on a dime. :mad: So PLEASE keep ahold of your kids at all times! We don't want anyone to get hurt.