PDA

View Full Version : Need help with DCA 1 day plan!

mask41
03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I am having a really hard time planning our one day in DCA (well, Day 5 of our Parkhopper has been designated as a free day to repeat our favorites, so we might have another half day for DCA). I thought if I listed the things that we wanted to get done, I could get some scheduling tips!

We want to do: Soarin', Monsters Inc., Mullholland Madness (?), Tough to be a Bug, Flik's Rides, Playhouse Disney, Aladdin, Muppets, Disney Animation, Ugly Bug Ball, Turtle Talk, and Redwood Creek while my mom watches Golden Dreams.

We are planning on eating lunch at WW Snacks at GCH and dinner at Trattoria at 6pm.

Of course we want to see Block Party Bash and the Parade. Wow, that sounds like a lot. If my dh wants to do TOT and Screamin', he is on his own and can do that while we are doing some of the above.

Yikes - is this possible with 2 five year olds??

I just can't seem to get a plan together for this park - help!!!

Thanks so much,
Amy

Bytebear
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Good news, Screamin' has a single rider line, so DH should take advantage of that. Get FP for Soarin' first thing, and don't use it yet (if the line is short, ride it and then use the FP later for a second ride). Then head to other things until the FP window opens and then get a second set of FP for Mulholand Madness. Later, when you have another FP window I would have DH get FP for ToT and Screamin' (using his ticket and your ticket). Since you want to see several shows, I would schedule your time around those, and just make sure you are in the area of the show when they start. This is only one of many variations, but the key is planning around Shows and coordinating Fast Passes.

disneyland2301
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I am having a really hard time planning our one day in DCA (well, Day 5 of our Parkhopper has been designated as a free day to repeat our favorites, so we might have another half day for DCA). I thought if I listed the things that we wanted to get done, I could get some scheduling tips!

We want to do: Soarin', Monsters Inc., Mullholland Madness (?), Tough to be a Bug, Flik's Rides, Playhouse Disney, Aladdin, Muppets, Disney Animation, Ugly Bug Ball, Turtle Talk, and Redwood Creek while my mom watches Golden Dreams.

We are planning on eating lunch at WW Snacks at GCH and dinner at Trattoria at 6pm.

Of course we want to see Block Party Bash and the Parade. Wow, that sounds like a lot. If my dh wants to do TOT and Screamin', he is on his own and can do that while we are doing some of the above.

Yikes - is this possible with 2 five year olds??

I just can't seem to get a plan together for this park - help!!!

Thanks so much,
Amy

I defiantly think that doing all of this in 1 day is possible. You are pretty much going to hit all the big attractions other than Grizzly River Run and Tower of terror(and i strongly suggest for u to try to fit those 2 in ur schedule). I also saw that u had a "?" after mullohand madness. Well just in case u havent heard of it i would defiantly recommend u to go on it. It is a very fun and somewhat thrilling ride. It will be a great ride for ur 5 year olds and i am certain that they will enjoy it. Hope u have fun!

Shinku
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Mullholland for five year olds? I might be out of touch, but my nephew would flip. out. if I got him anywhere near that. Mullholland madness is a "mad mouse" type of roller coaster, plus I think there's a height requirement for it, I may be wrong.

Your plan sounds do-able, but since you did not mention when your trip is (I'm assuming it's for the day your countdown timer is set to): realize that depending on when you're going (namely when the 2fer tickets are close to expiring and everyone wants to cash in their last day) you might face a bit of a crowd.

DCA has a lack of shade, as well, so be sure to plan extra time in attractions such as the animation building which has great air conditioning, and also be sure to stay hydrated.

charpaul
03-06-2007, 06:58 AM
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GO TO DCA ON A MONDAY OR TUESDAY - Aladdin is dark (closed) on those days. I do not know if any other shows are also closed on weekdays. Check the Disney calendar to make sure your favorte show/parade will be running on the day you are planning your visit there. I think that Block Party and High School Musical Pep Rally also do not operate all days of the week.

mask41
03-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Yep, we're going on Wednesday!! Thanks;)

samsma
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
When you arrive, you will see just how easy it is to hop between the parks! You might just end up doing a bit of stuff each day(ex-if DL is REALLY busy that day,you might want to hitDCA for less crowds, and go back to DL later on).Stick with your plan,you should be able to do it all in one day,but when you get to DL you will see that you might want to stray from your plan. I am an excessive planner too,I like to be ready for everything(my family also bugs me about it).We had a super trip, and we strayed from touring plans to match our whims.I just enjoyed the fact that I had researched everything, so I knew what was suited to us, and what we had to do while there. Have a super trip,and enjoy yourself!

VickiC
03-06-2007, 07:18 AM
My 5 year old LOVES Mullholland Madness, she's just tall enough.

If they are tall enough and it is a warm day do not miss Grizzly River Run. The fast pass for that ride is not connected to the rest of the park and you can get one at any time. I'd get one early and save it for 2:00 or so.

They could probably spend an hour at the challenge trail but if you must cut it short don't let them miss the rock wall and the smoke jumpers, again, huge favorites of my 5 year old.

samsma
03-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Our 7 year old at the time, thought Mullholland Madness was alright. Her dad and I HATED it! We felt really insecure up there, and I was holding on to our little one,worried about her safety! We went with her on California Screamin', and on Tower of Terror,and Space mountain. All fine .We will not go on that ride again.GO FIGURE!

acpalmer
03-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Mullholland for five year olds? I might be out of touch, but my nephew would flip. out. if I got him anywhere near that. Mullholland madness is a "mad mouse" type of roller coaster, plus I think there's a height requirement for it, I may be wrong.

Height requirement is 42" which most five year olds would make, I would think. MM is one of my five year old's very favorite rides!

neverlander
03-06-2007, 07:47 AM
MM was a nightmare for our five-year-old. She wanted to go on it because her BFF was vacationing there at the same time and was very enthusiastic about that ride. I had a feeling, but DD kept insisting. (DD7 had no desire to even try it.) It was not a good situation, and I still feel guilty. However BFF (also 5) loves ToT, Matterhorn, and pretty much any fast and high ride she's tall enough for.
My point is, all kids are different and you know your's the best (obviously).
From my perspective, I felt very uncomfortable on MM, but loved Screamin'. That surprised me because MM is geared more toward young people.
I also agree that it would be a shame to miss GRR. It's my five-year-old's favorite ride (one of mine, too). If your kids aren't up for it, try to switch off with your DH. It's a lot of fun.
Enjoy!!!!

mask41
03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I thought it might still be a little chilly for Grizzly - I heard you get really soaked!! I am hoping for really warm weather, but heard the 2nd week in April can still be a bit chilly??
Any thoughts?
Also, any scheduling tips would be helpful - what to do first, how long to plan in Flik's Fun Fair, etc.
Thanks!!!!!

Bytebear
03-06-2007, 09:08 AM
If you want to try Grizzly River Run, bring some cheap ponchos from Target. They sell ponchos in the park but they are expensive and not as good quality. I have gotten soaked about 20% of the time, but usually I don't get very wet, and sometimes I come off completely dry. On colder days, they tone down the water works, so you don't get as wet.

Flik's Fun Fair is a great place for little kids. I love the Flyers and the Junebugs. The Chew train is cute. I haven't been on the bumpercars. In addition to that, they have a water play area that kids can probably spend hours having fun (if it's warm, and you have a change of clothes). There is another water play area in the farm area. The big show is A Bug's Life which can be scary for small kids, so if they don't like spiders, I would skip this one. I would do this land in the hottest part of the day, because it is shady, and it has water play areas.

neverlander
03-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Another tip for GRR is to bring plastic bags to put your purse or backpack into. They're easy to scrunch up and pack, then just pull one and out wrap your stuff up.
Who knows? You may have some fantastically warm weather in April. On your day dedicated to DCA, you may want to have your kids wear swimsuits and water shoes under a cover-up if it's hot. Our kids love the water play areas and we just spend at least one afternoon knowing we're going to get wet. (Of course, I know it's much different in August when we make our trips.) You may want to at least bring a change of clothes if you decide to explore the water rides/features.

Bytebear
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Also, they have lockers next to GRR that are free for an hour. If you are concerned about things getting wet, just stow them for the ride. I tend not to used them and brave the water, and have never really had anything get soaked. If you have a plastic bag from the shops, they work well too.

Bolivar
03-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Rather than dedicating a day to DCA, I would without a doubt, go to DL first thing each morning and stay there until the early afternoon. Then I would head over to DCA from say 2 or 3 until 5 or 6. Then have dinner and head back to DL.

mask41
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Others have suggested that, and we may - even though I am doing a lot of planning, I am willing to be flexible once we get there and get our bearings - but, I know my mom and my kids and the less hopping and walking, I think will be best for us. But, I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind!!

Malcon10t
03-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Rather than dedicating a day to DCA, I would without a doubt, go to DL first thing each morning and stay there until the early afternoon. Then I would head over to DCA from say 2 or 3 until 5 or 6. Then have dinner and head back to DL.Thats how we do it. So much easier. My kids would kill me if I made them spend a day at DCA. We all prefer hopping during busy periods.

The old man
03-06-2007, 01:51 PM
You would be hard put to not do all those things in one day. Especially in the middle of the week. You will get soaked on GRR and the temperature can range from 60 to 80 degrees--so be prepared.

When you enter go to the right and get a FP for Soarin. Have a runner go get a FP for GRR. Ride Soarin if not busy, save the FP for latter. Go over to Monster Inc and on the way check out the time for Playhouse Disney. Get to PD 20minutes early. You do not need to be at Aladdin early, in fact I find it's best to go right at they let people in.

disneyland2301
03-06-2007, 05:20 PM

Your plan sounds do-able, but since you did not mention when your trip is (I'm assuming it's for the day your countdown timer is set to): realize that depending on when you're going (namely when the 2fer tickets are close to expiring and everyone wants to cash in their last day) you might face a bit of a crowd.

DCA has a lack of shade, as well, so be sure to plan extra time in attractions such as the animation building which has great air conditioning, and also be sure to stay hydrated.

I have a lil bro and when we went to DCA and he was 5 he loved Mullohand Madness

futurecm21
03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Sounds good, but it will be crazy if you keep to such a strict schedule. I would keep your five year olds away from Its Tough to Be a Bug, MM and Screamin. They aren't exactly kid oriented. I noticed that you mentioned the Muppet's Vision 3D. If they like that, I would see it a couple times instead. Otherwise, bring the ponchos for Grizzly River Run, some water bottles, sunscreen, and you'll have a great time!:)
futurecm21

disney jones
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
what VickiC and Bolivar said.

even a "full day" at DCA leaves plenty of time for DLR. before and after.

SarahJanet
03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Man, we must be Canadian, because when we went in March, we were on Grizzly River Run several times a day, poncho free! Now that I think about it, everyone we shared a raft with seemed to be Canadian as well!

When it's still 20 below here, a little damp in the California sunshine feels pretty darn good!

mask41
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Will the show times for the Delta Daddy-O's and the Brother Bear show up on the website calendar and/or the Times Guide?

hbquikcomjamesl
03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I only go on GRR (and Splash, for that matter) if I'm there on a rainy day, that isn't especially cold, but cold enough that I would be wearing my rain-parka. For safety's sake, by the time I get to the boarding area, I will have taken my umbrella down, and put on the Sou'wester hat I keep in the pocket of my rain-parka for occasions when an umbrella would be unsafe or inconvenient.

There's one thing I can definitely say about New England fishermen: they sure came up with a good hat for keeping your head dry!