PDA

View Full Version : A Restaurant on a Pirate Ship?

Chadsgal
03-04-2007, 05:48 PM
This is a question for my Dad. He says he remebers there being a resturant on a pirate ship when he was a kid, in the 1960's, and he swares it was not the Columbia. Can anyone confirm that there was a second ship w/ a resturant on it or was it the on the Columbia? TIA

Clotho
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes, there was a restaurant on a ship in DLR, but it is no more.
http://www.yesterland.com/pirateship.html

jcruise86
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Arrrrrrrrby's.

Chadsgal
03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Thank You! My Dad will love to hear that he is remebering things correctly.

Tinkermommy
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I used to love getting tuna sandwiches there when I was a kid. For whatever reason, we never got tuna at home, so it was a big treat!

Opus1guy
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Some more photos:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1427920&postcount=26

:)

tinker3
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow, I can't say I remember that restaurant, but my boys would go crazy to eat in a place like that. I don't think it would matter what the food was, just to eat on a pirate ship would be cool to them! :) Thanks for sharing photos.

danyoung
03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I discovered this great place to eat just before they ripped it all out. I think I had maybe 2 visits to the patio overlooking the waterfall. It really was a special place that felt isolated from the rest of the park. Ah well, at least I got to see it a couple of times . . .

ladysnowglobe
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I think the restaurant you are talking about was in the area where Dumbo is now. It was a pirate ship and they had the best meatball sandwiches in the whole park.

Doug
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I totaly do not remember this ship, and I have been going most of my life! Wow.....

Clotho
03-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I remember it because I remember my grandparents never let us eat in there. I also have lingering resentment from when they would never take us to any of the "shows", including America Sings and Country Bear Jamboree. Luckily, I finally got to see the Country Bears at WDW, so there is a little less there...;)

tod
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
My parents never wanted to eat there either, but TLMt and I used to eat there a lot before they rebuilt Fantasyland in the early '80s. Skull Rock would glow green from within late at night, there was a shallow lagoon behind the ship. The walls had benches carved into them, and the tables were Formica-topped barrels bolted to the floor. Other, smaller barrels with Formica tops served as seats on the non-wall side. They weren't bolted to the ground, so sometimes you had to fetch them from other tables.

Food was kinda mundane, I remember meatball sandwiches and a clam chowder that assayed out to mostly flour.

The little steam whistle from Casey Jr. would toot-toot by every few minutes.

The exit was right by Monstro, who gave you the eye as you walked by.

--t

DaddyB
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Elements of that pirate ship were used in the refurb of Peter Pan ride during that 80's fantasyland re-do, so you can see parts of it if you can brave the lines for the Peter Pan ride.

Chadsgal
03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
So much wonderful info!! :)

Opus1guy
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
You can also visit an exact duplicate of the ship (minus restaurant) and a bigger skull rock...at Disneyland Paris.

http://parks.disneylandparis.co.uk/disneyland-park/lands/adventureland/attractions/captain-hooks-pirate-ship.xhtml

:)