PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day and the week after?

Brown67
03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Want your thoughts. We are looking at going to Disneyland the week of Labor day in Sept. Arrive Saturday hit the park Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, and Fri. We want to hit some of the major attractions on Sun and Mon before they start to close for the off season. I believe Haunted Mansion shuts down after Labor day to get ready for Halloween.

I'm sure the crowds will horrible on Sun and Mon, but how are they the rest of the week?

Micki0624
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
We have gone every Labor Day the past 3 years. I don't think the crowds are really that bad at all. Maybe it's because I'm used to it and we know when to arrive and leave and then come back. The rest of the week is usually fine. In CA that is the last weekend of summer vacation for the kids.

Clotho
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
We are going for almost the exact same period. We asked a lot of people this same question, and sounds like it's a great time to go!

However, I don't think Haunted Mansion closes THAT early, does it? At least in 2004, we were there until the 18th, and it was open our entire trip. I know that MNSSH starts end of September now, though, so that may necessitate earlier overlay...?

mariezp
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
We will be arriving Sept. 3. I have been researching numerous discussion boards for as much info as I could find about the Labor Day weekend. We were especially hoping to catch HM before it went down for the holiday overlay. From past years it appears that it goes down pretty quick after Labor Day so we are crossing our fingers that we get to see it at least once before it closes!
We are going with our mind set that it will be extemely busy and not planning to get much done. I seem to find conflicting views about the Labor Day weekend so I guess it just depends on how you define busy. The majority did seem to agree that Monday would probably be a bit less crowded than the weekend. However, this year they will be holding the marathon on Monday so who can guess! The rest of the following week should be good. With attendance booming the way it has been lately, we may never see an off season again!
Still crowds won't keep me away! I will be traveling with my DH, teenager son and 7 year old daughter. Maybe we will see you there!

Clotho
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
If you are arriving on the 3rd, and will be staying the rest of the week, then I wouldn't worry about it "being super busy and not being able to get much done". I understand from EVERY source I have spoken to that Labor Day is not "busy" in the sense of "crazy spring busy", but just "busier than the days surrounding it". And that the week after it does drop off significantly, and continues to be so through to October. I can at least vouch for the rest of September being amazingly slow, as I have been there during that time before. Everything was walk on, and almost TOO slow!

june1st1997
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
We have gone on September 10th (my birthday) for the past few years. We have gotten some good rates for GCH and the crowds have been pretty light.

Enjoy!

DaddyB
03-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Labor Day week at the Disneyland resort is certainly less populated than the week prior, but it's still fairly busy. I would guess that this year since there's no 50th going on (and the "million dreams" promo is a complete dud), the Pirates Lair will have been around a while, and Nemo will have been opened for months, it should be pretty ok. The week AFTER that (the second week of September) is THE PRIMO week to go. It seems like EVERYONE is back in school by that point, and no parent wants their kids to miss the first or second week of school.

Haunted Mansion is typically not closed yet for the makeover, to my recollection... certainly not the week after Labor Day, so you should be safe.

kewlyloch
03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Keep in mind everyone that the Disneyland Half Marathon is Labor Day weekend this year. My husband and mother in law are running it. This event will probably draw larger crowds than past labor day weekends.