PDA

View Full Version : Your most prized 50th anniversary souvenir

Pages : [1] 2

Tinkervamp
03-03-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find anything but I'm just curious. Now that the hectic 50th celebration merchandising is over at DLR, what is your most cherised collectible or souvenier you managed to obtain? Is there something still missing from your collection that you're looking for and just have to have?

I was obsessed with SHAG and Avanzino. I still want the Gomes LE Tinkerbell winged vase. I know there's some highly sought-after pins out there. I'm not a pin collector (although the SHAG pins are pretty cool) but see some going for a pretty penny on eBay. Just thought it would fun and interesting (and a bit revealing) to know about your "obsession(s)"

RockDoc07
03-03-2007, 07:27 AM
My 50th Mouse ears are sitting on top of my tv set. But I must say, my favorite souvenir is my engagement photo. The CM got the picture just as I got down on my knee so you can see the shock on my DF's face. We're standing right on the compass so you can see the castle in the background, all nice and pretty dressed up for thr 50th.

So that being said, any 50th stuff with the castle on it sort of has a soft spot with me. I would really really like one of those nice Kinkade lithos at some point.

Doc

Gone2Disneyland
03-03-2007, 07:28 AM
The first thing that came to mind was my Limited Edition version of "The Musical History of Disneyland" 6-CD boxed set. The CDs are great, the hardcover book a bonus, and the gold vinyl record repro of "Walt Disney Takes You to Disneyland" a treat. The memories of trying to win a copy on another chat board, www.magicmusic.net, and tracking how quickly mail order inventories were selling out within a day or two according to posts on that site were was fun in that oh so Disney geek way. :)

cstephens
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
This is going to sound ridiculous to those who know me and know what I collect, and it's going to sound cheesy to those who don't know me, but the thing I seriously treasure the most from the 50th are my memories of it all - May 4, May 5, July 14-18, 2005 and everything else in between and after.

Squeaky
03-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Great thread!!!

First would be my engagement pictures and memories in the park on my engagement day, next, our 50th brick with our engagement date on it, then, last but not least, our July 17th 2005 "I Was There" pins. We stood in line for 8 1/2 hours on May 5th to get them! So many fond memories of the 50th... I have a scrapbook dedicated just to our trips during the 50th.

charpaul
03-03-2007, 08:39 AM
My favorite souvenier has to be the "I Was There Pin" from July 17...
Not only for what it is, but also for the fact:
that I waited with 20 of my closest Disney friends from 1:00 AM at DCA till park opening..
Was able to get my special ears at 4:00 AM -
-and had an ARMY of cast memebers lining Main Street welcoming me home that morning to the Happiest Place on Earth :)

My favorite memories include:
-Being there to see Julie Andrews for the official kick off on 5/5/05.
-Seing the first public showing of the fireworks and being with a wall to wall crowd of people who "get" Disney and would ooh ahh and sing along with the entire show!
-the July 17 Ceremony
-cupcakes!
-being able to take my nephews, niece, brother and sister-in-law to the park for their first visit during the 50th!!

MickeyDogMom
03-03-2007, 09:08 AM
My 'I was there pins', my ears, the marquee from the 50th merchandise event, and my pics are the most important.

disneyroxxx
03-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I love my hat, my crazy picture of me and my dad on space mountain, the cover for the picture of my dad and I on space mountain, and this cute figurine of mickey looking at himself in a mirror and drawing walt's face.

disneyperson
03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Our Golden Ears and the photos we have of all the CMs that lined Main Street to wave,applaud, and welcome us into the park. That made the wait in DCA completely worth it.

geoffa
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
My Golden Ears and my Main Street Mickey and 50th pin

Squeaky
03-03-2007, 10:34 AM
... the photos we have of all the CMs that lined Main Street to wave,applaud, and welcome us into the park. That made the wait in DCA completely worth it.

I have to agree with you eight million percent! The CM's on Main Street waving was amazing and so worth the wait in DCA. I'll never forget that experience ever.

jcruise86
03-03-2007, 10:46 AM
. . .my Limited Edition version of "The Musical History of Disneyland" 6-CD boxed set. . .
We got this for a Christmas gift (the givers got it at Costco) and I really like it. If you're really a Disneyland freak I'd recommend it. I think I saw it at the Disneyana store a month or so ago, but I'd try Amazon first for a better price.
So that ties my Shag stationary box (with Shag art on stationary, envelopes, stickers, and Post-it notes) as my fav. 50th souvenir.

Then again, my ltd. edition Jungle Cruise 50th-Anniversary Smith & Wesson is pretty cool for scaring away the neighborhood hippos.

Malcon10t
03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
My 'I was there pins', my ears, the marquee from the 50th merchandise event, and my pics are the most important.

Add to it watching Diane Disney Miller autograph our copies of "The Story of Walt Disney" and the memory of her on the floor playing with our dog on July 16th, 2005.

I need to add, the look on my kids' faces after the Magical Memories show. I had spent some decent money to take the 2 middle ones (my Disney Geeks) to the Magical Memories event. At first, I was concerned it wouldn't be worth it, but my son still hasn't stopped talking about meeting Joe Rhode, and both, who initially wanted to skip out of the Magical Memory show after dinner, enjoyed the show. It was the best money I ever spent.

Tinkervamp
03-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I didn't make it to the 50th day celebration. I've had to settle for the leftovers at Disneyana and eBay. It seems like everyone from here went that day. You guys are hardcore. Does anyone have pics of the CMs lined down the street waving or this special "I Was There" pin? I'm loving this thread!

disneyperson
03-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I didn't make it to the 50th day celebration. I've had to settle for the leftovers at Disneyana and eBay. It seems like everyone from here went that day. You guys are hardcore. Does anyone have pics of the CMs lined down the street waving or this special "I Was There" pin? I'm loving this thread!
It really was amazing. We entered DL at a little after 7:00 in the morning to be greeted by dozens of CMs lining both sides of Main Street . The guests walked down the center of the street while the CMs cheered, applauded and shouted "Welcome Home!" and "Happy Birthday." We stopped and thanked several of them along the way. The best part was that it was so warm and sincere. I didn't get the feeling that any of them were just going through the motions. They were as happy to be a part of that day as we were.

Malcon10t
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I didn't make it to the 50th day celebration. I've had to settle for the leftovers at Disneyana and eBay. It seems like everyone from here went that day. You guys are hardcore. Does anyone have pics of the CMs lined down the street waving or this special "I Was There" pin? I'm loving this thread!This website is my favorite for the event. It has you have asked for and many more. http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/50thevent.html I'm even in one pic!!!

MouseFaninQueue
03-03-2007, 02:08 PM
That's a simple question...

for me it is this picture ...

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/77977/20051020/084549.jpg

disney jones
03-03-2007, 03:44 PM
3. The 6-CD Musical Collection (with Gold vinyl)
2. The Shag 4x6 frames from each land with shots of the DDs from that land.
1. The DD's on all the Golden attractions, with characters in their 50th attire, and other 50th photos (http://bricoot.smugmug.com/gallery/1100192#51186185)

olegc
03-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Our Golden Ears and the photos we have of all the CMs that lined Main Street to wave,applaud, and welcome us into the park. That made the wait in DCA completely worth it.

I second that one. - and my picture with Goofy on main street with the cast members behind us...

Cindarelly
03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
All of my Shag signed stuff.

kimk
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
My favorite is the light -up pin replica of Walt's lamp given as a momento for taking the 50th Anniversary Tour ("From Imagination to Celebration") and commemorative ticket book.

Tinkervamp
03-03-2007, 09:15 PM
This website is my favorite for the event. It has you have asked for and many more. http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/50thevent.html I'm even in one pic!!!

This is the most amazing event. I'm adding it to my favorites list. I'm super jealous of anyone who went. Disney sure does it better than most.

oohykitten
03-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I would have to say the mis-marked 50th CD, with Remember really being track 11, and my 50th ears for my son, who I was pregnant with, that says "Little One".

backsthepack
03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Golden Ears with our sons name on them!

Other than that are the photos of him on all of the "golden" vehicles through out the park.

disneyland addict13
03-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Definetely my golden 50th ears and my Musical History of Disneyland!