PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Disneyland after our 1st ever WDW Trip

losaitkens
03-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I just wanted to tell everyone how much we enjoyed Disneyland during our visit February 21-24th. I felt so excited for this trip, even though we had just gone to WDW for the first time in Sept 2006. It just felt like I was coming home. Don't get me wrong- we had an amazing 9 night stay at WDW and cannot wait to go back sometime but Disneyland just has a magic and sense of historical place that WDW, with all its offerings does not match. Here's what I noticed and appreciated more about DL after our WDW trip.

-The Magic Kingdom felt like a "set" to me in a lot of ways. Disneyland feels like a place, like it belongs there. Everything from the architectural detail to the plants and little niches just seem to be a part of the place. It feels real, not forced.

-Walking is a MUCH more relaxing way to travel. WDW has pretty good buses and great roads throughout the resort but I loved taking that walk across Harbor and arriving at my room without strategically planning my bus route or collapsing a stroller or parking a car.

-The people at Disneyland seem more relaxed. Not everyone mind you, but in general, there seem to be less commando types at Disneyland than at WDW.

-Dining at DL is MUCH less stressful than at WDW. Planning all our ADRs (advanced dining ressies) in WDW required more research than any part of our trip. Dining is SERIOUS business for many people in WDW. While there definitely are more choices and better food available at WDW, in DL people will look at you like you are CRAZY if you are trying to make reservations to eat 180 days in advance. It was really nice to just call Goofy's Kitchen a few days before and secure a table at a decent time for breakfast.

-As many have said, the DL version of many rides are better, particularly Pirates.

There were lots of other little things too but the main thing for me was that even with all the bombardment of merchandising and the increasing costs, it felt like Walt's place. It still maintains the simple charm and beauty and imaginative spirit of what he was trying to achieve. WDW is amazing and truly a vacation experience on steroids that I think all DL freaks should experience but it will never fill me with the same childlike wonder and spirit that the original park holds for me.

Just my 2 cents and I hope all of you enjoy your upcoming trips to DL or WDW. Thanks as always to everyone here at Mouse Planet for all their tips and advice. I do not post that often but love checking in here to feel the pulse of my favorite place on earth.

Bytebear
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I always got the impression that WDW was like a big chain hardware store. Sure they have everything you need, but very little personal attention and designed for efficiency. Disneyland is like a local, mom and pop hardware store. Sure they don't have 400 aisles, and maybe you can't find exactly what you want, but you feel at home, like you can call the cashier by name. Maybe its more like that?

stan4d_steph
03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I always got the impression that WDW was like a big chain hardware store. Sure they have everything you need, but very little personal attention and designed for efficiency. Disneyland is like a local, mom and pop hardware store. Sure they don't have 400 aisles, and maybe you can't find exactly what you want, but you feel at home, like you can call the cashier by name. Maybe its more like that?That depends entirely on which resort you grew up with, IMO.

Cindarelly
03-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree with the last person to post. I grew up going to Disneyland and when I went to Disney World it felt so foreign to me. I loved it but always felt happy to return to MY Happiest Place On Earth.

blondiemouse
03-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Went to WDW for the first time over new year and sooooooooo agree with you.It just has not got that wow factor Disneyland has-sorry WDW fans.Strangly though I also really enjoyed it and would love to go again,whats with epcot though ? that place is wrong.2008 though Im feeling Walts little park is the place for me :D

geoffa
03-03-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm with Stand4d_steph - it's what you grew up with. I've visited DLtwice. The first time we hit Residents' day. Lines like you've never seen. Shows cancelled at 5 minutes notice (after standing for over an hour and a half), trash everywhere- a complete nightmare and consequently a FULL refund. I still have the letter. The second visit (October 2004) it rained and rained and rained and was just thoroughly miserable. Thank goodness for the GCA. OK it does rain in FL I grant you but hasn't on any trip I've been on. (8 in all).
Cast members are friendly at WDW - some are firm friends now. WDW has total wow factor - it all depends on your mind set! And I have to say I hate the way DL is surrounded by city. In Orlando, at least you get greenery! Just MHO and that's why I bought into DVC at WDW.

losaitkens
03-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Op here. I do agree it is what you grew up with that has some influence and I really did not mean for this to be a debate though it probably is inevitable whenever you are offering comparisons. They are both great places. I just find DL more intimate and authentic. I love that WDW is much more submersive in the way you are completely isolated from the real world. I love how much there is to do and see. Anaheim is certainly right in your face in DL and even Walt was bothered by that but I guess I find that part of the charm. Driving around the WDW resort, my dh and I frequently used the word "creepy" to describe the lack of trash/ traffic. That sterile quality almost made us uneasy.

WDW is a must to experience and we will definitely go back but it was nice to return to Disneyland and know that none of the magic had been lost for me and learn that I actually appreciated Walt's 1st park even more than before.

losaitkens
03-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Op here. I do agree it is what you grew up with that has some influence and I really did not mean for this to be a debate though it probably is inevitable whenever you are offering comparisons. They are both great places. I just find DL more intimate and authentic. I love that WDW is much more submersive in the way you are completely isolated from the real world. I love how much there is to do and see. Anaheim is certainly right in your face in DL and even Walt was bothered by that but I guess I find that part of the charm. Driving around the WDW resort, my dh and I frequently used the word "creepy" to describe the lack of trash/ traffic. That sterile quality almost made us uneasy.

WDW is a must to experience and we will definitely go back but it was nice to return to Disneyland and know that none of the magic had been lost for me and learn that I actually appreciated Walt's 1st park even more than before.

WDW heart
03-04-2007, 05:20 AM
That depends entirely on which resort you grew up with, IMO.

I've never been to DL so I definitely can't compare the two but WDW holds all that magic to me that DL does for most people here. It is linked forever to my childhood and now to my children's. It will always be magical to me. Blondie, I love Epcot. Did you go through the countries?? Did you eat at any of the restaurants? It is a different type of theme park and is not usually what people expect but it grows on you.