PDA

View Full Version : New Roving Animatronics @ DCA!

Pages : [1] 2

Doug
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/02/disneyland-intros-roving-animatronic-muppets-mickey-and-friends/

Check out the youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJGRvo0y_g

houseofmouse
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing. That was cool, I wish I could have been there to see them. Too bad about the glitch, seems people started walking away when that happened. I hope they stay at CA adventures!!:)

potzbie
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Did you notice that their contraption is a two-wheeled vehicle?
It is a segue!
Doesn't it look impossible to balance on two-wheels?
That's great!

cstephens
03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Not having seen the video, I presume this is about Dr. Honeydew and Beeker? The husband showed me the article in the Los Angeles Times today. Looks and sounds cool. According to the article, they'll be roaming around DCA through Sunday, and then they're going away for more research and testing. We're definitely going in search of them on Sunday.

Vegitabeta
03-03-2007, 03:46 AM
That's cool, so how does that work?

disney jones
03-03-2007, 05:12 AM
thanks for sharing !!!!! - there were pics on another DLR web site a few weeks back from the first appearance at the Burbank studio indeed its' very cool! i hope there's more and more!

I hope an army of Muppets soon appears like this.

ansd yes, it Segway based.

Darkbeer
03-03-2007, 07:17 AM
thanks for sharing !!!!! - there were pics on another DLR web site a few weeks back from the first appearance at the Burbank studio indeed its' very cool! i hope there's more and more!

I hope an army of Muppets soon appears like this.

ansd yes, it Segway based.

I have a set of photos from Friday morning at my photo website, link is in my signature...

RockDoc07
03-03-2007, 07:33 AM
I hope I don't cause a major fracas here, but I actually do not like this at all. I guess my two reasons are this:

a) The voice of bunsen sounds NOTHING like the character's voice.

b) I just don't think the Muppets belong at Disneyland. I mean I know why they are there and why they have a right to be. It's just one of those articificial Disney feelings to me. I really think the same can be said of Star Tours and Indy but for some reason I don't find these as agregious. I just don't associate these entities with Disney. At Disneyland I want to see <i>Disney</i> characters. I really dislike walking up to the turnstiles through the promenade and hearing John Williams music playing over the loud speaker (Star Wars theme). I'd much rather be hearing Song of the South or Winnie the Pooh.

Sorry, just my $0.02

jcruise86
03-03-2007, 07:48 AM
I hope I don't cause a major fracas. . . It's just one of those articificial Disney feelings to me. I really think the same can be said of Star Tours and Indy but for some reason I don't find these as agregious. I just don't associate these entities with Disney. . .
Maybe you will after a while.

I liked what I saw on youtube. (Thanks Doug!)

We could have a long debate about the meaning of "artificial," but I'll just add that I love Disney's artificiality, and that I prefer so-called artificial joy (shared with my family or even alone) over genuine despondency.

geoffa
03-03-2007, 10:16 AM
And they are eventually destined for WDW! Thank Lucky the dinosaur for this technology.

Vegitabeta
03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. That was cool, I wish I could have been there to see them. Too bad about the glitch, seems people started walking away when that happened. I hope they stay at CA adventures!!:)
Where was there a glitch? The video isn't working very well for me.

houseofmouse
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
The glitch was near the end of the video, Bunson was talking and then all of a sudden stopped. It was pretty silent for a few and people started walking away. He then starts talking again and says something about a glitch. I still think its cool though. :)

jetkitten
03-03-2007, 11:49 AM
looks neat. hope i get to see it

Vegitabeta
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
The glitch was near the end of the video, Bunson was talking and then all of a sudden stopped. It was pretty silent for a few and people started walking away. He then starts talking again and says something about a glitch. I still think its cool though. :)
Ok, I'll try the video again!

Doug
03-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks all, glad to provide....

But, they will be gone by Sunday? Great, the next day off I have is Tuesday ... Are you all sure Sunday is the last day... I guess I will call when I get a chance...

spectromen
03-03-2007, 04:10 PM
It was great, I'm just so embarrassed for them at how many people walked away! No attention span whatsoever...

Cindarelly
03-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Fun memories of childhood with the Muppets!

crrees
03-03-2007, 04:16 PM
the muppets are my favorite - maybe they will be there in April when i go

disney jones
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I hope I don't cause a major fracas here, but I actually do not like this at all.i understand your points but while i enjoyed it, i have a different take on your thoughts. while similar, here's what i didn't like:

it wasn't so much Bunsen's voice was different, but he did way too much talking compared to The Muppet Show. Beeker was the comic star of the TV series pair, but that flavor wasn't captured. The 'punch line' in the show came when Beeker was severly & physically victimized in some 'accident'. This street scene had none of that - that's what was lacking - but still, like i said, cool nonetheless and a welcome addition.

chrisaustx
03-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a feeling W.D.I. is testing this at DCA to get the bugs fixed, then it will be shipped off to Florida. Disney will want people in Florida to see this at MGM Studios not at DCA where A/P's will get bored of it. If you listen to the dialog it talks about "here at Disney" which makes me think it was designed to go to Florida.

geoffa
03-04-2007, 04:21 AM
I have a feeling W.D.I. is testing this at DCA to get the bugs fixed, then it will be shipped off to Florida. Disney will want people in Florida to see this at MGM Studios not at DCA where A/P's will get bored of it. If you listen to the dialog it talks about "here at Disney" which makes me think it was designed to go to Florida.

As I said earlier your assumption is correct!

Vegitabeta
03-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Ok, so I just watched the video (took ages to load for some reason!) and I think it's quite good. I'm not that familiar with Honeydew, so I didn't really notice that he didn't sound right, like someone said. I noticed the glitch too lol, couldn't really miss it! But at least he admitted he was having 'technical difficulties' before he left:)

Doug
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I just called DLR, and theses characters are not even on the schedule, but, nor is Push .... the Cars characters are though... Bah... would really like to see this in person! Well, here's hoping!

Tinkermommy
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Saw them today at DCA, around 5. They worked very well, and were very well received by the crowd. They invited a few kids to come up and ask them questions. When they had to leave, a bunch of people even followed them down the street. Very cute! I'd like to catch their act from the beginning.

Darkbeer
03-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Saw both PUSH and Dr. Honeydew yesterday, in fact, Dr. Honeydew called me out from the crowd, I was wearing my Karl Strauss "Born in a Brewery" shirt and he asked me about it.... he was having fun with the crowd.... :)