PDA

View Full Version : Trip insurance for Disneyland visit?

HobbitFeet
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Before we decided on Disney for a trip this year, I had been looking into cruises. The people on my fave cruise website always talk about travel insurance through various websites (or the cruiseline itself). Although we didn't use it for our honeymoon cruise, I now think it's a good idea (after my hubby had to leave our vacay instantly to be with his ailing father, thank goodness Southwest is so easy with their RR travel vouchers, b/c we didn't have trip insurance).

So...I didn't buy the insurance through Costco when I booked our Disney package, b/c I figured I would buy from someone other than Disney (same theory of not buying from the cruiselines b/c the price is inflated and you can't choose what you're getting).

All that to say...do you get travel insurance for a trip (including flights and the Disney package), and where do you get it from, if you didn't buy it through Disney or Costco (if I had booked through AAA I would have bought their insurance, as it was half the price of Disney/Costco's Disney)?

I know the Costco thing is confusing, just ignore it if it's bugging you. :D DS is calling me and I have to go rather than edit or use more words!

GusMan
03-01-2007, 05:24 AM
I dont buy TI for a land-based trip but always but it for a cruise. It paid out for me the very first time thanks to hurricane season.

yellowrosedtxn
03-01-2007, 05:30 AM
I bought the travel insurance for our Trip to Disneyland for our Christmas trip. I figured anything could happen between now and then, so I would rather be safe than sorry. It was only 55.00 per adult (two are going) so it was worth it to me.

Shelley

stan4d_steph
03-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Make sure you read the conditions for a reimbursement. I thought about getting insurance once, but the insurance didn't cover the conditions I thought would be most likely to impact my vacation.

GusMan
03-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Good point, Steph. Its important to read the terms and conditions of coverage before you sign. Do NOT take someones word for it. And/ Or make sure you can cancel the insurance without penalty within a certain period of time.

Make sure you understand the coverages and clauses that deal with trip cancellation (ie:you dont make it at all) and trip disruption (your trip gets cut short because of a certain circumstance.)

Like any insurance, you hope that you never have to use it. But if you do, you hope that the coverage and service is there.

In my previous post, I mentioned that I used my TI during my cruise. My trip started one day later because of hurricane Jeanne. The insurance was through the carrier that DCL sells and they were GREAT! Because we missed one day of our 8 day trip, we got reimbursed 1/8th the cost, which was actually more than I thought we would get.

yellowrosedtxn
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Is this the "norm"?

Trip Cancellation & Interruption - Pays for forfeited, non-refundable, unused payments or deposits if due to unforeseen sickness or injury, or unforeseeable circumstances.

$600 Travel Delay - Reimburses up to $200 a day for additional accommodations and traveling expenses due to travel delays.

$2,000 Baggage & Travel Documents - Pays for covered items that are lost, stolen or broken on your trip.

$500 Baggage Delay - Reimburses for the purchase of essential items if your bags are delayed for more than 24 hours.

$10,000 Medical Expenses - Pays for doctor, hospital, ambulance services and prescription medication with no daily limits or deductibles.

Travel Guard Assistance - 24-hour emergency hotline.

Livetravel - Your 24-hour travel customer service hotline! A direct consumer service hotline staffed with trained travel counselors. Livetravel offers a full range of emergency travel, medical assistance services, tracking lost luggage, and more!

$20,000 Emergency Medical transportation - Provides coverage for medical transport and complete case handling to ensure that your clients are taken care of properly.

$25,000 Medical Expenses - Accidental death and dismemberment coverage.

This is what our TI has in it and I HOPE I don't have to use it.

kkmickey
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
I am leaving tomorrow for a 4-day trip, just me and my husband. I have never bought trip insurance, but I was starting to wish I had. Last week I got really sick with sore throat, fever and chills for SIX days (I have never had a fever that long!). Then I got an ear infection and a horrible cough. I was put on antibiotics a couple of days ago and feel SO much better. I thought for sure we were going to have to cancel our trip, which would have been a bummer since I got my hotel through Priceline.

I have NEVER considered TI before, because I thought "What would ever keep me from Disneyland?" I am a nurse and I don't get sick very often, especially not sick enough to keep my from DISNEYLAND!! My husband knew I must really be sick when I said we should keep our reservations, but I didn't even think I could walk through the park - I could go and sleep in the hotel.

So, I apologize to whoever I will be sitting next to on the plane, coughing, and screaming if my ears get plugged. I promise, I am not contagious!

Next time I will definitely consider TI, because if my 'illness schedule' has been off just a few days, I would not be going.

It's a good thing to think about.

Plus - it is supposed to be sunny this weekend!!!!! Much better than sitting in the rain and snow in the Pacific NW

KKMickey

GusMan
03-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Is this the "norm"?
Yep, that sounds about right.
The one thing to note is a question I have on the following:
"Trip Cancellation & Interruption - Pays for forfeited, non-refundable, unused payments or deposits if due to unforeseen sickness or injury, or unforeseeable circumstances."
While I would hate to think about the "unforeseeable" the question I have is if you had to file a claim as a result of someone outside of your travel party causes you to have to leave your trip early or cancel altogether. (A close loved one passing away or getting hurt/sick and you should be there...) I mean, it is unforeseeable, but would that be considered? Its a fine detail that can be easily clarified with a single question, but for someone like me with older parents, it kinda makes me wonder.

yellowrosedtxn
03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
I will pose that question just to see what kind of answer I get. Thanks for asking it!

Shelley

Goosegirl
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, I always buy travel insurance now since a few years ago a family member died on a trip overseas. We were not on that trip, but it was a hassle getting his body home for burial and extraordarily expensive. So, even though DLR is not overseas, we still buy the trip insurance. You never know what could happen and we have 2 special needs children. I just feel better when we have the TI.

LUV_U_MICKEY
03-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I have never bought trip insurance but I ALWAYS buy the medical insurance. I have a fear that someone might break a leg or I get stung by a bee and need to be rushed to the er.

GusMan
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
If one already carries health insurance, would that not cover such an event? I ask because it seems like a different option to add or consider during trip planning.

HobbitFeet
03-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Thank you everyone!

Who do you guys buy from?

GusMan, the only thing I can think of is that is for international travel. Most insurance plans don't cover you when you're out of the country (you have to check with your own specific plan), so you buy the extra medical insurance. It can also cover things like being evacuated from, say, a cruise ship, if you've broken something vital or had a heart attack, etc etc etc. Those evacs can cost 10s of thousands of dollars...

But my health insurance would cover out-of-state, just not perhaps at "in network" rates.

joinwonderland
03-03-2007, 05:14 PM
One of our children got sick on holidays and we were unable to fly home on the tickets we purchased. The insurance paid for the additional accom costs, food and the replacement tickets.

GusMan
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
HobbitFeet, thanks for the clarification. I completely understand and agree that it would be necessary for the reasons you mention. Foreign travel, even on a simple cruise, needs to be looked at differently than domestic travel for sure.

samsma
03-03-2007, 05:31 PM
If one already carries health insurance, would that not cover such an event? I ask because it seems like a different option to add or consider during trip planning.

YES, I guess it would, only not if you are from Alberta. WE have Alberta Health Care here, and all of our medical expenses are covered only in our own Province. Therefore, if we are in the U.S. we would be responsible to pay all costs out of pocket. That's why we buy medical insurance.