PDA

View Full Version : Ironic California Adventure Ambient Music...

Abigail's Uncle
02-28-2007, 05:16 PM
One of the things I love so much about Ca Adventure is how the wall of West Coast-themed music hits you while entering under the Golden Gate.

Yet I'm always struck by the inclusion of "I Love L.A." in the playlist. I know it's often used as a (genuinely) rah-rah song, but if you listen to the words, you can't help but notice some serious ambivalence baking in Randy Newman's kitchen.

End result: whenever I'm walking around Sunshine Plaza and hear this blasting away, I can't help but smile at the sense of irony. Anyone else ever had this same thought?

Bytebear
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
But Randy Newman is a Disney slave, so of course it has to be included. I wish, particularly with the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the park, that they would play Californication, or whats that one song "California, California, Cali-ahhhhh"? Or that song that has the line "looking California, feeling Minnesota"? So many possibilities.

One of my favorite pictures is the back side of the Hollywood sign, all dirty and covered with graffiti, showing the other side of tinsel town.

tod
02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
The song works both ways.

The snooty east cosaters can say "NObody could really love L.A., so it's just a joke and the poor stupid Californians Don't Get It."

The real Californians know that L.A. is tacky and smoggy and phony and all that stuff -- but it has a heart and a spirit and a sense of humor. And that's why we love it!

And that's what the snoots on the east coast don't get. Just like they don't get that ANYbody could prefer Disneyland to "Disney World -- and Epcot too!" Because to them, anything in the east is better than everything in the west.

Which makes it all the sweeter when the Academy Awards keep them up past midnight. It's a local celebration, after all -- why does the east coast intrude anyway?

--t

dznyphreak
02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Which makes it all the sweeter when the Academy Awards keep them up past midnight. It's a local celebration, after all -- why does the east coast intrude anyway?

--t

I love it!!! :)

mickeyxminnie
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
i love it. so much that i wanna leave here and move there. well anaheim really.. but still closer than where i am now.

DaddyB
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I've never noticed any ambivalence in the song at all.

I might have some sarcasm when I sing it, but I never notice any when I hear Randy Newman's version.

Look at that mountain
Look at those trees
Look at that bum over there, man
He's down on his knees
Look at these women
There ain't nothin' like 'em nowhere

Century Boulevard (We love it)
Victory Boulevard (We love it)
Santa Monica Boulevard (We love it)
Sixth Street (We love it, we love it)

What's ambivalent about that? How can you be ambivalent about stating you LOVE something and not stating the opposite.

Merriam Webster definition:

Main Entry: am·biv·a·lence
Pronunciation: am-'bi-v&-l&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
1 : simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings (as attraction and repulsion) toward an object, person, or action
2 a : continual fluctuation (as between one thing and its opposite) b : uncertainty as to which approach to follow

What you feel is what you feel, I'd like to understand where 'you're coming from'.

(BTW- The prelude to that song goes (in part): "Hate New York City. It's cold and it's damp. All the people dress like monkeys".)

MagicKingdomBoy
02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
I love it. So much that I wanna leave here and move there. Well, Anaheim really.. but still closer than where I am now.
Let me get this straight. You want to leave Sydney, Australia for Anaheim, California??? Are you crazy? You really are a Disney fan, aren't you....in a big way! :)

MouseWife
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I wish, particularly with the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the park, that they would play Californication... Me, too. ;)

Or that song that has the line "looking California, feeling Minnesota"?

First off.. Woo!! Woo! Soundgarden reference. :cool: But, that song is a bit dark, a revelation of finding oneself 'Outshined'. {one hot video, by the way}

Which could have been perfect for that Limo ride that was taken out, what was it, Superstar Limo?

stan4d_steph
03-01-2007, 06:41 AM
And that's what the snoots on the east coast don't get. Just like they don't get that ANYbody could prefer Disneyland to "Disney World -- and Epcot too!" Because to them, anything in the east is better than everything in the west.And yet this post proves that the bias is not limited to the East Coast.

--tYeah! And why do they include those foreign people in the awards? What do they have to do with CA anyway? And those movies that are filmed in Canada!

potzbie
03-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Century Boulevard (We love it)
Victory Boulevard (We love it)
Santa Monica Boulevard (We love it)
Sixth Street (We love it, we love it)

But that is the point. -- These have nothing about them worth mentioning.

• Have you driven down Sixth St. in downtown Los Angeles? There is nothing there.
• Century Blvd. is just a couple of high rises, and NOTHING ELSE.
• Santa Monica Blvd. is a just a business district AND NOTHING ELSE.
• Victory Blvd. (over the Hollywood Hills in the San Fernando Valley, and thus not even NEAR the Los Angeles downtown area!) is just a business district AND NOTHING ELSE.

That is the "humor" in the song. -- Randy Newman is "celebrating" things not worth celebrating.

He had said so, too. He once commented that it was funny he was being awarded something by the city when the song actually mocks the city.

"Superficiality -- we luv it!
Tinsel -- we luv it!
We luv it! We luv it!"

tod
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
And that's what the snoots on the east coast don't get. Just like they don't get that ANYbody could prefer Disneyland to "Disney World -- and Epcot too!" Because to them, anything in the east is better than everything in the west.
And yet this post proves that the bias is not limited to the East Coast.

Recognizing another's bias is not the same as having one.

Yeah! And why do they include those foreign people in the awards? What do they have to do with CA anyway? And those movies that are filmed in Canada!

The L.A. area is the center of the movie business, and has been for decades. It's our business and it's our celebration, the rest of the world is just eavesdropping.

--t

tod
03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
• Have you driven down Sixth St. in downtown Los Angeles? There is nothing there.
• Century Blvd. is just a couple of high rises, and NOTHING ELSE.
• Santa Monica Blvd. is a just a business district AND NOTHING ELSE.
• Victory Blvd. (over the Hollywood Hills in the San Fernando Valley, and thus not even NEAR the Los Angeles downtown area!) is just a business district AND NOTHING ELSE.

That is the "humor" in the song. -- Randy Newman is "celebrating" things not worth celebrating.

Century Boulevard runs through most of Los Angeles and ends at LAX.
Santa Monica Boulevard runs right through the middle of West Hollywood, which has been a bohemian area since the '50s and is now the mostly-gay area. You can keep going past there through Beverly Hills and all the way to the ocean.
Victory Boulevard runs the length of the San Fernando Valley from Burbank to West Hills, and it has everything the valley has to offer along its length. The fact that it is remote from downtown Los Angeles is irrelevant. Personally, I drive on Victory pretty much every day and I haven't been downtown since last November.
Sixth Street -- you got me. I don't know anthing about it. In fact, I know of two Sixth Streets in the L.A. area and I don't know anything about either of them. So maybe there is nothing there, I don't know.

If Randy Newman is celebrating the mundane, it wouldn't be the first time.

--t