PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... [persuading parents to go to Disneyland]

Pages : [1] 2

X_disneywolf_X
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I went to WDW when I was 6 for their 25th anniversary and I went to DLR in July of '06 for their 50th anniversary.

I dont really remember my trip to WDW seeing as though I was only 6, and we really didnt get enough time at DLR(only 2 days)

so my question is, how do I convince my parents to make another trip to either resort? I swear I go to both websites(DL.com and DW.com) practically every day and research how much money it might cost(im probably way off though).

I want to go back so bad, but its just a matter of cinvincing my parents. Anyone have any suggestions?
thanks a bunch!

Vegitabeta
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Help out around the house, maybe try and a get small job?

X_disneywolf_X
02-27-2007, 10:21 AM
most places around here wont let you work until your 16. which means I still have 7 months until im 16...

unless, you know, I do odd jobs like mowing lawns or shoveling snow or things like that

neverlander
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
My parents took us twice when I was growing up. My dad told me that when I was six they had saved for over a year to finance our $600 vacation. In 1976, they had saved enough for us to stay at DH during the bicentennial celebration.
You're fortunate to have gone twice, and I do understand that longing because I also experienced it growing up. But we just always understood that it was a big deal for us to be able to afford going those couple of times...
So if money is an issue for your family, it might be a good time to plan an adult trip for yourself and focus on appreciating what you've been given. You'll be 18 or 20 before you know it!
Okay, that's not the advise you were looking for. So, if your family takes lots of vacations, and it's just a matter of your folks deciding where, here are a few tips.
- Reminisce. Say things like, "I remember standing outside of the Tiki Room thinking how fortunate I was to be sharing quality time with my beautiful family," as you stare dreamily at the Disney photo album.
- Make plans for your future family. Express your desire for them to accompany you when you have children. They might start thinking, "Hey, do we really want to wait until we have grandchildren to do this again?"
- On that same note, little reminders regarding your time left at home might not hurt, either. Like, "Gee, our family vacations have been so memorable. In TWO YEARS when I'm in college, I will definitely savor those memories!"
- Subliminal messages. Does (when) this actually (you wish) work? (upon a star) Who know? (Disney) But it may be worth (land) a try.
Seriously, appreciation and cooperation will get you more than just a Disneyland vacation. If they say no, show them you were sincere anyway.
Good luck!

mistofviolets
02-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Ask them why...ask if they'd consider returning, and what it would take.

Maybe they'd be open to starting a family saving jar. Where you, them, and your siblings would contribute. They could put the money into a savings account, like ING!, earmarked for a family vacation.

Talk to your friends. Sometimes there are youth groups that go. Or talk to your own youth group, or school club, maybe they'd like to fundraise for a trip. You'd need chaperones, but those shouldn't be too hard to find.

yenko427
02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Order the free Disney vacation planning video. We watched it for the first time yesterday and it is pretty good.

X_disneywolf_X
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
thanks for all the advice!!

and mistofviolets, im an only child, so I guess thats just all the better! =P

a lot of you had great ideas

just beatla33
02-27-2007, 02:44 PM
time and money is the key. Not many people have a lot of it. I can only go twice a month cause I don't have to much free time and I eat before I get in cause its to darn expensive

The old man
02-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I went to WDW when I was 6 for their 25th anniversary and I went to DLR in July of '06 for their 50th anniversary.

I dont really remember my trip to WDW seeing as though I was only 6, and we really didnt get enough time at DLR(only 2 days)

so my question is, how do I convince my parents to make another trip to either resort? I swear I go to both websites(DL.com and DW.com) practically every day and research how much money it might cost(im probably way off though).

I want to go back so bad, but its just a matter of cinvincing my parents. Anyone have any suggestions?
thanks a bunch!
I'm confused by your age. You were in WDW when you were six and it was your parent's 25th anniversary. Now six months ago you went to DLR for their 50th. Aren't you 30 to 31 years of age? Aren't your parents in their 70's? What am I missing? In a latter post you say you are 15.

futurecm21
02-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Order the free Disney vacation planning video. We watched it for the first time yesterday and it is pretty good.

Yes, the vacation planning video is quite good, but don't watch it unless you really think it will help, otherwise it will just make you all the more sad and depressed. I totally know what you are going through, I am not an only child, and my parents and other siblings are not big Disney freaks like I am. I also know the pain of job age limits. When I was younger it was torture to not be able to work anywhere. My first job was working at a summer camp in the summer, but if your looking to take a vacation during that time, well it gets difficult. As horrible as this sounds, I would go with the odd jobs (mowing lawns, shoveling snow, that is if you live somewhere with snow, etc) It won't get you much money, but your parents might realize how much you really do care about another Disney vacation, and give in. :) Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you!:)
futurecm21

leota's necklace
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm confused by your age. You were in WDW when you were six and it was your parent's 25th anniversary. Now six months ago you went to DLR for their 50th. Aren't you 30 to 31 years of age? Aren't your parents in their 70's? What am I missing? In a latter post you say you are 15.
I believe the OP was referring to the Parks' respective anniversaries, not the parents'.

X_disneywolf_X
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM

yes, I am 15 years old. and they werent my parents anniversary, but they were the parks anniversary =P

RockDoc07
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
One thing you can do with your family that I think is along the same lines as what someone mentioned here above is start a spare change jar.

My DF and I started doing this 2 months ago. At the end of the day, any loose change we have acquired that day, whether it be from lunch lines, or from purchases made, or from vacuumingcleaning the couch cushions, goes into a jar. In the 2 months since we have started we have already gathered over $150!! So that can be something, if your parents are willing to partake in, or any family members, a way for you to show responsibility in fiscal maneuvers as well as a desire to work on something as a family toward the common goal at the end.

Good luck to you!

Cool Runnings,
Doc

adriennek
02-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I realize that this will be blasphemy to many on this board, but I'll dare to say it anyway:

This comes up from time to time and I have to say that sometimes, I don't want to go back to a place I've just been so quickly, especially if it's as big of an undertaking as going to DLR or WDW from Iowa is. So from a parenting perspective, I can appreciate why they might not be excited to save up for another Disney trip so soon.

I've also realized something else in my old age ;) I remember when I was 18 and in love with my now husband and a few years down the road seemed like SOOOOOOO far away. Now I'm... older than 18, we've been married forever and have three kids. Who. Knew.

My point, and I do have one, is that my suggestion may feel absolutely impossible to you right now, but really, it's not as bad as you think it might sound...

In a few years, you'll be college-age and this will give you so many options.

Are you considering college? Maybe you will consider choices in Florida or Anaheim so you can be close enough to visit more often - or even work there.

Maybe you'll consider staying closer to home but you'll consider applying for a Disney college program which will let you take some time to work at a Disney park.

Maybe you won't want to go to college but you could consider moving to Florida or Anaheim anyway to work there.

Persuading your parents isn't your only option. You're almost 16 which is thisclose to 18. As a young adult, you won't have to persuade anyone, you'll have the options to support your own plans to get to a Disney park.

Adrienne

The old man
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
I believe the OP was referring to the Parks' respective anniversaries, not the parents'.
Certainly “their” can refer to the parks but the post is titled, “persuading…parents.” It is almost immediately followed with, “I went to WDW when I was 6 for their 25th anniversary and I went to DLR in July of '06 for their 50th anniversary.”

At the least the sentence is ambiguous.

Malcon10t
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Certainly “their” can refer to the parks but the post is titled, “persuading…parents.” It is almost immediately followed with, “I went to WDW when I was 6 for their 25th anniversary and I went to DLR in July of '06 for their 50th anniversary.”

At the least the sentence is ambiguous.The moderators added the persuading parents part. Maybe that was why I understood the poster to mean the parks anniversary, I had read it prior to the change in title.

The old man
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
The moderators added the persuading parents part. Maybe that was why I understood the poster to mean the parks anniversary, I had read it prior to the change in title.
Thank you. My head was swimming with the math.

Vegitabeta
02-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you. My head was swimming with the math.
Erm...don't mention maths! lol:)

disneyroxxx
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm 15 also, and in the same situation.

I've come up with a plan. I went onto the official disney sites, and planned a vacation that I would want to do. I checked the total, and it is around $15,000. I chose to go to Disneyworld for a few days, and then go on an 11-night cruise on the Disney cruise line to the bahamas. I chose my mom (or dad) to come along, and a friend. I calculated that if I make at least $8 an hour, and work every day for four hours, I can reach my goal in about a year and a half. If I show my parents I'm committed to this, I think they would help out a little financially. So I think a great way to convince your parents would be to show commitment and hard work in trying to follow your goal. It takes time, but I'm sure it'll work.

LUV_U_MICKEY
02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you should be greatfull that your parents have taken you at all. As a parent I realise that a fun vacation is not always top priority and that although we would love to take our children to these places we can't always do that. Sometimes a new house roof or car are more important. IMHO so tell them thx and that you love them.

X_disneywolf_X
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I wanted to thank you guys a lot for all your advice.

My parents are starting to warm up to the idea, but like someone(I dont remember who) said that some things are a bit more important than a vacation, this is true for us. We are getting our entire kitchen re-done(but it will very cheap coming out of our pocket)
But ANYWHO

my parents are starting to warm up to the idea. Out of the blue my dad just about 5 minutes ago walked upstairs to me and asked if I had found out anymore info about making a trip, and he told me to keep researching.
Okay, so maybe its not gonna happen tomorrow. I expected that. But we can always save up to make a trip later this year or next year.
who knows?
thanks again!

samsma
02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Good luck! And yes keep planning. We just got back Feb 20th, and I'm looking forward to another trip in a few years. A long way to go,but it's fun to plan and talk about it!

futurecm21
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Erm...don't mention maths! lol:)

yeah, um Mousepad is where I come to get away from math.:) Anyway, I thought of a couple other things that may just help you. This is more of a long term option, but you might consider either joining or starting a travel group, that holds fundraisers and then takes a trip or two to Disney parks a couple times a year. I personally don't do exactly this, but I have to other very close friends who I travel with on spring breaks sometimes, and it makes for a pretty fun trip. Also, you might give your parents the option of making other stops on your trip, and not completely devoting it to Disneyland or Universal Studios. There are a lot of cool places and cool things to see in South California, so consider a two day visit to Disneyland, with stops at some other cool places (I'll leave it up to you to decide where/ what those are).
futurecm21

Enter The Mouse
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I talk about Disney 24-7. I think they get some what annoyed but I can't help it. Everything has a Disney reference.

But be careful...My mom told me as we were leaving the year before last we would go for the 50th. I kept pushing for it and we finally went. Now my mom won't even mention disney around me :p .

mistofviolets
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I wanted to thank you guys a lot for all your advice.

My parents are starting to warm up to the idea, but like someone(I dont remember who) said that some things are a bit more important than a vacation, this is true for us. We are getting our entire kitchen re-done(but it will very cheap coming out of our pocket)
But ANYWHO

You might consider showing an interest in that ;) You can give your input on colors, or go cabinet shopping...even do a shoplocal search or two if there's something they want, to say "Its on sale here..."

If you show an interest in their life, they'll show an interest in yours!