PDA

View Full Version : Possible Re-Theming of Splash Mountain Boats?

DisneylandKid
06-05-2002, 06:38 PM
In Al's update today, he mentioned that the Splash Mountain logs might be turned into swamp rafts or possibly even small keel boats. I think that if this was done well, it could be really, really cool. Afterall, every theme park's flume ride has log boats!

Disney Nick
06-05-2002, 06:47 PM
if this was done well, it could be really, really cool
That's a VERY BIG if. But assuming it was done right, I think it would be cool, but I'm sure there are some traditionalists that would find it sacreligious to touch the log boats of Splash Mountain and change them into something else... Either way it doesn't matter much to me, but do it well!

tabacco
06-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Keel boats actually make more sense to me than logs, in terms of setting.

Ace
06-05-2002, 08:33 PM
how/why would they change them?

DisneylandBoy
06-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Al also said that they might go to four rows of side by side seating. How would this log fit in the flume? Explica por favor!

Mouse
06-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Don't you know the theme park creed? If you have a theme park you must have a log ride.

tinkfreak
06-05-2002, 09:32 PM
DisneylandBoy:

I think this was explained in an earlier thread. From what I remerber, the logs would be very similar to the ones at WDW, only the seats would be more of a bench style instead of a bucket style, allowing the log to be thinner and still fit inside the existing flume.

Disneylandman
06-05-2002, 09:35 PM
The reason they would fit is because they would be shorter than the ones in WDW. Turning would be the only problem for the logs.

innerSpaceman
06-06-2002, 12:14 PM
They might as well re-theme them to boats or whatever, since once you put in seats, and especially once you put in side-by-side seating, the illusion of being inside a log is ruined anyway.

Mad Madam Mim
06-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Alright..... so maybe this should go on the FALSE rumor thread, but i was told by a cm that the flums here are smaller then the ones WDW and that's why they didn't go to two side by side. I asked because i thought they were and when i saw them..... or maybe not a cm... no i think it was..... ahhhh ok, i should be in the false rumor thread....:rolleyes:

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 12:44 PM
The flume is slightly smaller than that in WDW. But like tinkfreak said, the logs would be bench style (1 long seat) instead of bucket style (2 seats connected). This would probably save enough room to get the logs to fit. It was a good point though, that once you are sitting side-by-side the illusion of being in a log is pretty much shot to hell...

Ace
06-06-2002, 03:36 PM
wouldn't that be more unsafe than it is now, because you'd only be able to hold on on one side?

Disney Nick
06-06-2002, 03:42 PM
There would most likely be a restraint, because that's the way the lawyers want it ;). Also, no restraint is really needed, every wonder why people don't fall out with their hands up :). You don't need any restraints or to hold on to the log, but the lawyers want the restraints to prevent the guests who checked their brains at the main gate from doing something stupid.

Darkbeer
06-06-2002, 04:13 PM
The new logs/boats would have the same "base" size as the current logs... remember that the flume is like a "\_/", so they can add more width to the upper half, which is why they are talking about the redesign of the logs, a new style log with side by side seating would look more like a half log, so for themeing purposes, they are trying to come up with something that would look more appropriate.

They thought about reflumeing the ride, but not for very long, when they realized the price!:D

Mad Madam Mim
06-06-2002, 06:07 PM
I guess i can see it, it's just not the easiest thing to get a mental picture of without acutally looking at the current log. I really can't grasp the scale or how it can work with the bench. i'll have to make mental notes when i go friday.

coronamouseman
06-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Probably doesn't matter whether it's with logs or boats ------ just keep the ride open ................

ldsguy
06-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Ok, well, first off, they most likely are NOT rethemeing the logs (Althougth I will agree thatr would be cool, but theyu put too much money into what they have now), they are definitely NOT going to be side by side and they will NOT be closing Splash Mountain after the summer months as originally planned.....the original plan was to have Spalsh reopen for the summer, then close it, redo the entire track to accomidate side by side logs....but in the end this proved to be too costly......but legal wanted some way to make it hard to stand up in the logs, which is why we are stuckl with the idiotic logs system they have now.....there is virtually no leg room and it's not safe for those under about 60 pounds....parents have to grab on to thier children in front of them. But I SO wish that Al would get his facts straight BEFORE writing an article.

Maximus
06-07-2002, 08:08 AM
ldsguy:

That is some good info, where/how do you know all of this??

ldsguy
06-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Well, I tend to accidently hear things....and no, I do not try to hear them, but it happens and I start listening, then when I know people are talking to people high up in the park's management I pay atention.....and several other sources, including people in Disney Imagineering.

Maximus
06-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Well that is great! So I am assuming you work for Disney in some aspect?

Disney Nick
06-07-2002, 12:36 PM
I am very suceptible about taking any information this person has said with anything more than a grain of salt. I don't know who he is or what his credentials are and where he got his information. Frankly, I urge people to not take any of his info about Splash not re-closing very lightly. It has been shown time and time again that this was a "quick" fix and only meant to hold it over until a permanent fix could be put into place. I am by no means "in the know" about this type of stuff, but as far as anyone else knows neither is he. Just letting you know to have some caution in believing stuff...

ldsguy
06-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Nope, I don't work for Disney and from what I've seen, I wouldn't want to.......yuck.....but on this particular matter, I have heard the General Resort Manager (I believe that's still the actual tiotle, it was recently changed) talking about it.

mrfantasmic
06-07-2002, 10:43 PM
We would like to be aware of you qualifications to making these claims. Just who are your reliable sources and how are they connected with Disney?
Problem with your current information is that the general resort manager is not a member of Facilities or Imagineering. They are most likely to repeat what one has said. Official announcements come from the PR department.

P.S. Are you a newbie?

Ace
06-07-2002, 10:51 PM
geez, leave him alone.

cstephens
06-08-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
geez, leave him alone.

I don't think anyone is being impolite, and I don't think it's unreasonable to find out someone's qualifications before deciding whether or not to believe someone's statements about park happenings.

That being said, I don't believe anyone who says anything about what they "know" is going to happen unless I know the person personally and know exactly where their source is coming from. Too many people claim to know things when they don't.