PDA

View Full Version : Disney Sues Anaheim Over Housing Plan -- SFGate/AP

Andrew
02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Disney Sues Anaheim Over Housing Plan (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/02/27/national/a064337S46.DTL&feed=rss.business) -- SFGate/AP, 2007-02-27

The Walt Disney Co. is suing the city of Anaheim over a controversial residential project that would add low-cost housing in the city's resort district. Disney has long opposed the proposal to build 1,500 condominiums and apartments, including 225 units for lower income residents, near its amusement parks. The entertainment company says residents would be out of place in a district designed for tourists.

"This lawsuit speaks to how important we view this Anaheim resort area and that we make sure the vision sticks," said Disneyland spokesman Rob Doughty.

jewls520
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Wouldn't the housing benifit Disneyland's employees? I'm sure they aren't paid enough to afford a million $ home. Make employees happy, so they make visitors happy, which makes everyone happy. Right?

rokketride
02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
They probably feel that having a low rent district nearby would bring an unwanted element to the area.

just beatla33
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
ehhh, they opened a bunch of low income homes down here in hopes to making this certain area nice. Well the whole place went to heck and not fun to look at. I think thats why Disney is going to try to stop it which I don't blame them

counterwgt
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Disney could build their own low cost housing and then rent them out to their staff at a reduced rate. Happy Staff = Happy Guests.

Bytebear
02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Disney wants Anaheim to be upscale and touristy. They want their employees living in Garden Grove or Santa Ana. It kinda makes sense, considering no one in Southern California really lives near work anyway.

just beatla33
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
funny you should say that, this is my last day in this building cause our compnay is relocating. What used to be a 75 mile round trip is going to turn in to a 7 block walk for myself.

disney jones
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
the route i take to DLR is 57 S, then Ball Road west for about 5 miles, till i hit Disneyland Drive.

why, that drive along Ball Road west is so splendid! i think i'm in Beverly Hills or Indian Wells!!

The beauty! the grandeur! the plush homes!! ..... right when i get off 57 S, i know i'm in a De-luxe resort area - its thrilling to see how exquisite it is - why, half the beauty of Disneyland is in the surrounding community itself!

:rolleyes:

yohomama212
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
They probably feel that having a low rent district nearby would bring an unwanted element to the area.

Don't even think of staying in a hotel on Katella, just a couple blocks from the parks! Think low rent housing will bring an "unwanted element"? It's already there! I can't tell you the atrocities I've seen less than a mile from the Happiest Place on Earth!

Liz :cool:

bobabooey
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I hope Disney wins.

tod
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Disneyland is in the middle of a low-rent district. There's a warren of apartments to the west, and the rest of the surounding area is middle-to-lower-class houses. Nice, neat, well-kept and probably in the low six-figure range, but not the high-rent expensive housing that Disney would like.

And yeah, there is a serious undesireable element around there. We once surprised a guy who was about to break into our car when we stopped at the Satellite Shopping Center for drinks for the long drive home.

--t

jewls520
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Disney could build their own low cost housing and then rent them out to their staff at a reduced rate. Happy Staff = Happy Guests.
Great idea for Disney to do for it's employees. I watch those shows like flip this house and am always amazed at how much a decent house in CA costs.

Doodle Duck
02-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Also...more new disgruntled residents to complain about the fireworks noise.

Tinkermommy
02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Also...more new disgruntled residents to complain about the fireworks noise.

That, I think, is the biggest problem.

You can say the park was there first, you can make people sign something saying they know there is a noisy, busy theme park nearby (what the heck do they call those agreements you sign indicating your awareness that you're moving next door to a nuclear power plant?) -- but eventually, people are going to complain and then sue.

There is a housing tract in my county that was built behind a shooting club's range, of all things. The builders knew, the buyers knew -- and then the shooting club had to spend a fortune defending itself in court. I don't even know if that's been resolved. Same thing with an ostrich farm where I live. Houses were built, then people sued over the stink. It happens near airports, too. Who the heck buys a house near an airport and then complains about the noise?

I think Disneyland SHOULD sue to protect itself now!

LUV_U_MICKEY
02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree Disney should sue,
After all we spend a small fortune to take a nice vacation, the last thing we want to see is some kid running buy us with a torn shirt and dirty clothes and no shoes on. I mean I understand living in Calgary the need for low income housing. We are a city that has out grown itself 10 times over. In the area I work I see these kids everyday. And the last thing I want to see on my vacation is more of them. I am not trying to be rude but I want to forget all the problems in my life and around the world for atleast 1 week a year. I LOVE DL and the area I just hope they win and that the area stays the same.

Bytebear
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Another issue is that "low income housing" does not mean affordable houses. It means low rent apartments. Southern California has a huge housing problem, with the median price of homes exceeding $700,000. Even those who have good jobs and make good money cannot afford to buy their first house anywhere, let alone in a less than desirable area like Anaheim, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, etc.