PDA

View Full Version : Cast member was actually TOO nice.

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
02-27-2007, 07:19 AM
This was a few months ago and hopefully she now has a more appropriate position,
but my daughter got into one of the long lines to enter the parking garage
and I noticed that the other lines were moving three times as quickly!
(Yes I'm the crackhead who freaks out when waiting to exit my Small World boat.)
As we got closer I noticed that the cast member was smiling, trying to enjoy herself, and striking up conversations with the driver of every vehicle.
When it was my turn (and I was frothing because she may have kept me from having Innoventions to myself for the first two hours) she asked me "So where are you from?"

So there is one Disneyland job that I prefer to be done with quick, cold efficiency. If the employee can also work in a smile and a quick line welcoming me--great.

I haven't noticed this employee there on future visits.

danyoung
02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
That's really an interesting twist. Yes, you want employees to be friendly and smiling, but there's such a thing as TOO friendly (not in a perverted way, of course!).

rokketride
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Waiting over 30 minutes just to get past the parking kiosk can be really frustrating.

I wonder if they could at least set up like an express lane for AP holders who just have to flash their pass and roll on.

kassiekat
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Is it true that the parking structure doesn't even open until 30 minutes before the park opening time? If so, are cars lined up ahead of time waiting to get in? Sorry for all the questions~

Park Freak
02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I wonder if they could at least set up like an express lane for AP holders who just have to flash their pass and roll on.
That is an awesome idea!!!

jcruise86
02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Waiting over 30 minutes just to get past the parking kiosk can be really frustrating.

Best idea, EVER.

Andrew
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
That is an awesome idea!!!
I like it in theory, and similar ideas for the main entrance gates have also been discussed. The problem is, what do you do about guests who don't read the signs or read them and don't bother following instructions, and end up in the AP express lane? It wouldn't be fair to other guests, who did read and follow instructions, to let the non-APs through the express lane anyway. You'd have to tell them to circle around and come back in again. That would not make for happy guests or magical moments.

samsma
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I like it in theory, and similar ideas for the main entrance gates have also been discussed. The problem is, what do you do about guests who don't read the signs or read them and don't bother following instructions, and end up in the AP express lane? It wouldn't be fair to other guests, who did read and follow instructions, to let the non-APs through the express lane anyway. You'd have to tell them to circle around and come back in again. That would not make for happy guests or magical moments.

How about a penalty for not following the rule. Like $20 to park if not an AP holder?Or go in the correct lane if you want to pay normal parking rates.

jcruise86
02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
How about a penalty for not following the rule. Like $20 to park if not an AP holder. . .
That would get their day off to a magical start.

samsma
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey, if your gonna use the AP holders parking line without an AP you'd have to come up with something. They could always follow the directions though.

rokketride
02-27-2007, 10:34 AM
You'd have to tell them to circle around and come back in again. That would not make for happy guests or magical moments.

That is a big problem.

What would happen if they used the Far left lane for AP, but have the checkpoint like a hundred yards or so ahead of the regular lanes. That way they dont have to circle around, they just get diverted to the right.

Probably too much hassle, but it would lighten the blockade by getting a bunch of the cars through quicker.

Bytebear
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Maybe they should have parking stickers, so they can just wave through cars that have the sticker.

cstephens
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Maybe they should have parking stickers, so they can just wave through cars that have the sticker.

That wouldn't work if you are using more than one car, or if you were being driven by someone else. The free parking is for the AP holder, not a particular car, so that wouldn't work.

GusMan
02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
That wouldn't work if you are using more than one car, or if you were being driven by someone else. The free parking is for the AP holder, not a particular car, so that wouldn't work.
I used to place my parking permit on a piece of plexiglass that I could take from car to car. Worked great and would probably work well too in this case.

futurecm21
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
How about a penalty for not following the rule. Like $20 to park if not an AP holder?Or go in the correct lane if you want to pay normal parking rates.

Umm, no. that would be the worst thing they could do. Imagine how many first time Disneyland visitors would never come back after getting fined $20.00 just for a simple mistake.
futurecm21

olegc
02-27-2007, 05:49 PM

well they would have to change the rules as well. When you park, you're actually parking once for the day - with in and out privaleges. So - you can't transfer your AP to someone else to "flash" to get in to park. This is also why (for now) you get a parking pass. This is actually your "ticket" into the parking garage and what gets you back in to the garage if you leave and come back the same day.

Anyone ever try to come back the same day and use their AP and not the ticket? I have not - but it's supposed to say "no, you already parked for the day" sort of thing.

newportbeachbumz
02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Anyone ever try to come back the same day and use their AP and not the ticket? I have not - but it's supposed to say "no, you already parked for the day" sort of thing.

I have ... on many occasions. I didn't know that you weren't supposed to. I've gone to the park with my younger son and left to go p/u my daughter from school and returned a few hours later. No one has ever questioned me...

cstephens
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM

But how would they know? The CM just looks at it - they don't scan it like they do with the AP when you enter one of the parks.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
This was a few months ago and hopefully she now has a more appropriate position,
but my daughter got into one of the long lines to enter the parking garage
and I noticed that the other lines were moving three times as quickly!
(Yes I'm the crackhead who freaks out when waiting to exit my Small World boat.)
As we got closer I noticed that the cast member was smiling, trying to enjoy herself, and striking up conversations with the driver of every vehicle.
When it was my turn (and I was frothing because she may have kept me from having Innoventions to myself for the first two hours) she asked me "So where are you from?"

So there is one Disneyland job that I prefer to be done with quick, cold efficiency. If the employee can also work in a smile and a quick line welcoming me--great.

I haven't noticed this employee there on future visits.

Sounds like she should get a job in a position where she can interact with people more.

jcruise86
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Sounds like she should get a job in a position where she can interact with people more.
I agree.
She would probably be wonderful working in a shop or as a tour guide, and I think she would probably do well working on what we used to call "guest control" during parades.

ralfrick
02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Sure it would, as Pressler would say, "if it's good enough for 6 Flags...". Seriously, though, static cling stickers (like 6 Flags uses) can easily be moved.

A bientot.

cstephens
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Seriously, though, static cling stickers (like 6 Flags uses) can easily be moved.

I would personally hate it. On the occasions when I might need to use my parking but not be in my car, I don't want to have to think about bringing the parking decal with me. I have my AP with me at all times, so just being able to show that would be much more convenient.

olegc
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
But how would they know? The CM just looks at it - they don't scan it like they do with the AP when you enter one of the parks.

true - so in a sense the only repurcussion right now is if you get caught "sharing"... but the policy i believe is what i stated earlier...

Bytebear
02-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Actually, they don't care. I suppose you could park, run down to the entrance and get another car in, park, run down... etc. I don't think they consider that a big enough threat to enforce.

How about hanging parking passes that are transferable? I have one for my apartment, but it is double sided sticky taped to my windshield.

jcruise86
03-01-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm happily surprised that no one chimed in arguing that it's great that she took the time to have a chat with the people in every vehicle.
Apparently others feel the way I do and just want to park and get in the park. (Again, a smile and a very quick welcome would be nice.)