PDA

View Full Version : Help timing late summer trip

neverlander
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
We're looking at scheduling our 3rd annual late-summer DL (GCH) vacation. Could I please solicit some feedback regarding the advantages/disadvantages of the following three weeks: 8/19-8/24, 8/26-8/31, or 9/3 (Labor Day)-9/8?

(2005 went the week before Labor Day. Received value season rates plus 4th night free deal. Not crowded, but shortened hours. Seemed perfect.
2006 went the week of 8/20. Really crowded with regular hours and entertainment schedule. Regular rates with no specials; the next week would have been the same, but with shortened hours.)

Was anyone there the week before Labor Day last year? Was it still a good time to go? (We heard that August was just overall busier last year.) We don't mind the shortened hours; in fact they seem better because early entry is viable at 8:00, not 7:00 for us.

Another question regards Grand Californian reservations the week before Labor Day. Will it get filled up early due to the marathoners? How early should I reserve a view room? (We've scheduled in May in the past.)

Lastly, our final consideration would be to have our 1st and 3rd grader miss the first 2 and a half days of school that first week after Labor Day (Oregon start) and count on lower crowds and chairs by the pool. It would be a bit cheaper, but we're concerned about missing out on the great energy all the kids bring to the park. (Crowds to an extent are okay!)

Thank you so much.

Shinku
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Labor day would be a bad idea. Any weekend that involves a monday or a friday off means that the locals will come in hoardes pretty much that entire weekend. 8/26-8/31 would probably be your best bet as many schools will already be in session (at least community colleges in the area will, I assume some elementary schools and high schools will too). No matter when you go within those dates it's probable that it will be very hot, and pretty crowded with people trying to get in their one last trip before the school year. I'd go with the 8/26 date though.

Have fun!

neverlander
02-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback. We've definitely been leaning toward 8/26-31. It wasn't too bad at all two years ago, but I wasn't sure this year with the half-marathon scheduled for Labor Day. I suppose we'd be getting out of there right about the time the hordes of people hit for the holiday weekend. Thanks again.

disneyperson
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
We will be there August 15-20. August 19th is Bats day. There will be about two thosand Goths in the park.(see avatar) Makes for fun people watching!