PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on my schedule...?

JustMe29
02-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Down to the business end of planning now. These are the must do parts of our holiday.

* 5 day DL/DCA hopper pass
* Universal Studios #
* LA Tour
* Knotts Berry Farm #
* Shopping

# still hesitating on these

Travelling are three of us from Australia aged 38,29,6. Arrive at 7am on Friday 16th March. Staying at Homewood Suites by Hilton at Anaheim. Flying home at 8:30pm on Friday 23rd March.

I have purchased RideMax - but yet to plan to that detail.

Friday 16th March - we will surely be tired from flight - check in if we can - do some shopping and try to get a bit of sleep.
Saturday 17th March - D/L
Sunday 18th March - LA Tour/6 hours Universal Studio? Combined tour
Monday 19th March - D/L
Tuesday 20th March - utilise early entry D/L
Wednesday 21st March - D/L
Thursday 22nd March - Knotts Berry Farm
Friday 23rd March - D/L - last day will need to kill time before flight in the evening. We could use this as a day to go back and do all the things we loved.

My thinking is we'll be pushing it to not want to go straight over there on the first day so we probably won't be able to wait until Sunday to go to D/L. Need to be there one of those days for the fireworks and shows that aren't on during the week.

Do you think Universal and Knotts Berry farm are essential?

I know for sure my daughter will probably want to spend the whole 5 days at the Princess Fantasy Faire!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vegitabeta
02-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Personally, I think Universal is a must-do, especially if you haven't been before...the backlot tram tour is great!

JustMe29
02-24-2007, 04:54 AM
I've been before but my husband and daughter haven't. I'm a bit worried that it is all beyond her. Age 6- she will likely be scared of many of the attractions. But I really want my husband to go. We'll probably never go to the US again so I think we should.

Do you think half a day is enough there or need a full day?

yohomama212
02-24-2007, 06:41 AM
I've been trying to get the family to KBF for awhile now, just to go. Even in Camp Snoopy, my DS can ride rollercoasters and do miniature versions of the big kid rides he always wants to try! There are some neat attractions there (or there were when I was last there 7 years ago... WOW uhhhh... ok) and most are different from the rides you'll find at DL. Definately a good number of rollercoasters, I don't know if your DD is interested in them, but if she is then you should probably make the attempt to go. I've never been to Universal Studios, really don't have an interest in it.

Liz :cool:

samsma
02-24-2007, 07:25 AM
We went to Knotts with my DD when she was 7. The coasters there are big rides, she went on the Ghostrider, and vowed to NEVER do a big coaster again! I would go to universal with your6 year old instead.We had a SUPER time there, and DD love meeting Spongebob and Spiderman(and many more).Unless you adults are interested in the big coasters, I'd skip Knotts.But DO ride the Mummy at universal!

Vegitabeta
02-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I think a full day is probably best, but it depends what you want to do. I know there are a few scarier rides, but there is a lot of stuff for the little ones too:)

jbtaylor780
02-24-2007, 09:22 AM
We love doing both Universal and Knotts. I would recommend Universal and I would check Knott's website for height requirements to make sure that your 6year old would be able to most of the rides outside of Camp Snoopy. If she's not, you may want to rethink going to Knott's. While Camp Snoopy is really cool for the little ones, it isn't a large part of the park. If she is tall enough for most of the rides outside Camp Snoopy, I think your itinerary looks great :)

az_snow
02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Your plan looks pretty good... smart to not go to DL on Sunday. We will be in the park on that same Saturday, it will be our last day. :( It may be a bit hectic on the day you plan on visiting Universal Studios and visiting LA. You could easily spend a whole day there... but you could do half a day if you decide what you want to do (rides, or backlot) and have a plan. We went there a couple years ago and were there mid morning to about 6 pm... but it was pouring... and we rode the rides several times and lingered a bit too long... never made it to the backlot. We want to go back... but DL is our main attraction for this next trip. Knotts is more optional than Universal in my opinion. I haven't been for 15 years and really have no desire to go. Depends on what is important to you I guess. I can't tell you if it is worth it for your family, since you may not be in the US ever again! That may be a good reason to go, if you feel like your family will enjoy it.
Maybe you could do LA tour on the day you arrive.

az_snow
02-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Oh yeah... what an exciting vacation, have fun!

Bytebear
02-24-2007, 12:05 PM
If you have a car, I might consider going to Laguna Beach or Newport Beach instead of Knott's. Of course you are Aussies so you know beaches, and this might not be as big a thrill for you as it would be for someone from the midwest. I hesitate with Knott's because it has a lot of big coasters; not really fun for a 6 year old.

joinwonderland
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
When we went 18 months ago from Australia with 3yo and 6yo we purchased the Southern California City pass which included Knotts, 3 days disney, Sea World and SanDiego zoo. I had been to knotts 15 years previous and I was so disappointed. We only stayed 2 hours, there were so many people, the rides were too big for our 6 year old, a lady was crying her bag had been snatched and the lines to go on rides were huge. The City pass saves quite a bit of money and includes Universal now, Sea world, zoo and 3 days Disneyland/DCA and early morning. You can upgrade extra days. Might we worth checking if that fits your schedule. We were there 8 days, we went to Disneyland/DCA 3 days in a row and upgraded the pass before it expired, drove to San Diego did Sea World, stayed overnight in San Diego and did the Zoo and Legoland driving back to Anaheim, spent 2 extra days in Disneyland, the last day we visited Knotts, drove to LA to see the Holywood sign and visited the Queen Mary (ship) on the way to the ariport. If you hire a car invest in the GPS. We could concentrate on driving on the right side of the road without looking at a map.

AlbertaMinnie
02-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I was going to suggest skipping Knotts and just going to Universal, until I read that you may never be in the US again. If that is the case, then do both, for sure! Although, with my kids, we only spent 1/2 a day at Knotts and then a full day at Universal. There is a free bus from Anaheim to Universal (sorry, you may have to research that one, I don't know where it stops) You could spend the entire day watching the shows and taking in the rides at Universal, or if that is not your cup of tea, then the Universal City Walk is a mini shopping district directly outside the parks gates. You can spend hours there alone in the shops and restaurants. Good luck, Have fun, Relax and Enjoy yourselves!

emmah
02-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi there; i've arrive in LA from australia around 7am a few times now; we always head straight to the hotel to check in and leave our bags, then go and wander around the park until our room is ready in the mid afternoon - by which time we are the walking dead and need to sleep.

my suggestion would be to go to KBF on sunday, which is relatively close to DLR, so that you can head back to the park in the early evening and watch the fireworks again - you'll definitely want to see the show more than once if possible. KBF is worth a look but its no where near as much fun as DL - the theming that makes DL so much fun even when you are just sitting on a bench resting your feet, is mainly absent at KBF. you should definitely check out Universal = it has some great rides (the back to the future ride is awesome, and the jurassic park ride is a lot of fun). with an 8.30 flight home you'll be leaving for the airport around 4pm = so that makes for a nice relaxing day at the parks before you leave.

one other suggestion; don't forget to leave time for downtown disney - there is a lot to see and do there and its easy to overlook it (i never have enough time to fit it in!).

have a great holiday!

mickeyxminnie
02-24-2007, 03:39 PM
my suggestion is that even though you have 5 day pass you wont need to do 5 full days there... knotts is similar to australias wonderland thats no longer open.. there are some good rides there and a really cool coaster.
universal is really cool the jurassic park ride is a must.
you could prob try seaworld in san diego.. i love disneyland and its the reason i go there but seaworld was def a stand out from my last trip.

otherwise its a good plan..

JustMe29
02-24-2007, 05:19 PM
New schedule -

Friday - Arrive 7am DL
Saturday - Universal
Sunday - DL
Monday - DL
Tuesday - DL
Wed - Knotts
Thu - LA Tour
Fri - DL day and Fly out 8:30pm

We also get dinner on Mon - Thur - so I'm just trying to work out when to schedule the Princess meal and the Goofy's kitchen meal.

Any thoughts?

samsma
02-24-2007, 07:18 PM
While at Knotts, be sure to eat at Mrs knotts chicken restaraunt.Really yummy stuff.And what about that jam!

Bytebear
02-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I would switch Sunday and Wednesday.

JustMe29
02-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes - i've considered doing that... only concern is that a lot of shows and fireworks are only on fri/sat/sun.

I'd rather avoid it on the weekend, but not sure if we can help it if we want to see some of those things??

Bytebear
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Ah, that's true. You cannot miss the fireworks! :eek:

samsma
02-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Do the fireworks on Friday.

AlbertaMinnie
02-25-2007, 06:05 AM
That plan looks awesome! If your experience at Knotts is anything like some of us on this post, then you'll certainly be able to enjoy Downtown Disney after Knotts. I agree......if you like fried chicken, try Mrs. Knotts, and Knotts sells Boysenberry juice/tea/jam....it's awesome! We don't go to Knotts Berry Farm anymore, but we do stop for chicken on every trip!

Don't forget that you don't have to be in the park to enjoy Goofy's Kitchen.

Isn't planning fun!? I LOVE to plan our DL trips! It sure adds to the excitment! I love to see everyone's opinions and suggestions too. Have fun!