PDA

View Full Version : Photo Bank - Download Digital Pictures

M-I-C-K-E-Y
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I saw a thread on here quite some time ago about a product to download your digital pictures to. The cost was about $350 - not sure what it was called but you could use as video player, mp3 player etc..

I almost bought one before our last trip to download our digital pictures but thought that $350 was a lot to pay. So I started looking around for an alternative. My husband takes hundreds of pictures with his good camera and it would take up way too many CD's. I really didn't want to bring a laptop with us on the plane if I didn't need to. There had to be something out there.

I am sure that there are many of you out there in the same boat. Well I found something I'd like to share with all of you. It is called a PhotoBank and is made by SmartDisk. I bought it at Office Max and it is just that, a photo bank. You simply put your camera card in the slot, turn on, hit the copy button and it downloads. Then after you get home, you plug it into your flashdrive drive and download pictures to your computer. Very Easy! It holds 40 GB (so it would take quite some time to fill that up!) and the regular cost is $150. I got mine on sale and it cost me only about $100.

I know that I have been on this site looking for an answer to this very problem before our last two or three trips. I hope that somehow this message could help some others who are looking for the same question.

Amy

jackyb
02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow! What a great idea. I was trying to think of options because I didn't want to bring a laptop either. I will be checking out Office Max soon for the Photo Bank. Thanks for the info.

Jacky

just beatla33
02-22-2007, 08:33 AM
you could also get a 1GB memory card for th ecamera and even if the camera is set on the highest setting I can squeez least 350 pics out. SO just either lower your camera resoultion or just buy a few of those GB cards cheap

samsma
02-22-2007, 08:39 AM
We used a 2gb card on our kodak,and took over 700 photos and some videos with room left, and we paid $49 canadian for it at best buy.

wdwmartin
02-22-2007, 08:56 AM
If you already own an ipod with a color screen, there are products that will allow you to tranfer your photos from your camera into your ipod for later download to your computer when you get home. They run about $30. Do a search for ipod camera connector. I picked up one on ebay a while back and it works well at USb 1.1 speeds. May be a USB2 device on the market now.

M-I-C-K-E-Y
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I am so glad that there are so many more options out there now.

My circumstances are a little different. My husband bought this "good" camera about 2 years ago, (I say that as someone who prefers the regular point and shoot camera) and his file sizes for each picture are between 1 - 2.5 MB. And did I mention that he also takes about 10 of each shot at a time. A little obsessive he is! Anyway, we needed something that would hold a lot!!! Not too mention it was not only him but three others in our group all taking pictures. We ended up with about 750 pictures - oh the work going through them after getting home.

Thanks to all of you for all the ideas, I love that about this board! Hopefully we have helped many others who might be wondering what they can do.

Amy

yellowrosedtxn
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I really like that Photo Book thing. I need to get something like that for my up coming trip in May - or get a bigger memory stick (I have a 1 GB but expect to use it up!).

Shelley

samsma
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
And did I mention that he also takes about 10 of each shot at a time. A little obsessive he is! We ended up with about 750 pictures

Amy

WOW! What a patient woman you must be. My hubby did the piont and shoot and one shot per item, and I told him he was slowin' us down! Now we are home,I LOVE seeing the pics!(but I will NEVER admit that to him)HA HA!