PDA

View Full Version : Quick DLRR question.

mask41
02-21-2007, 06:54 PM
On one of our 4 days in the park, we are planning on hitting Winnie the Pooh first (following a touring guide in Unofficial DL Guide this day), as soon as the park opens - probably not EE. Is it quicker to get on the Railroad at Main St. and scoot over to NOS and walk the rest of the way to Critter Country, or is simply easier to walk from the maingate to Pooh?
Thanks,
Amy

PS - we will have two 5 year olds and a senior tagging along!

mask41
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
And one more RR question - if we rent one stroller for our 5 year olds to take turns riding in - can we fold it up and take it on the RR?

Bytebear
02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
It is probably faster to take the train, assuming there is no line and you catch the train coming in. If there is a line, you may have to wait for a second train. I usually walk through the hub, but have taken the train on occasion.

You can take a stroller on the train, no problem. One thing to remember, main street station has no handicap ramp, so you will have to walk up the stairs, in case that is an issue.

I forget when you are going, but right now the train is being refurbished, so it may not be an option at all for you, but I am sure you have looked into that.

jcruise86
02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Walk.
Why pass up a stroll down Main Street and a walk along the river?

The RR ride to N.O. Square isn't very scenic, though the last leg from Tomorrowland to Main Street has an almost full-scale replica of the Grand Canyon and fighting dinosaurs that were brought back to life using dinosaur DNA recovered from prehistoric mosquitos that were preserved for millenia in amber.

On second thought, don't go to Pooh first!
The Pooh lines are shorter than most other lines all day long, so begin your day in Fantasyland, then head to the relaxing Pooh area and take a break along the river under the Hungry Bear restaurant.

And report back to us on how you enjoyed the new "Rockin' With Pooh," soundtrack featuring music from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Finally, you wrote: "PS - we will have two 5 year olds and a senior tagging along!" Shame on you! Tagging along?!

Mermaid
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Like Bytebear said it is probably faster to take the train if you hit it right. Now, I know you said you are following the UOG but I have NEVER seen a line for Pooh. Not ANY line. It has always been a walk on so I would not waste precious AM time on it. I would go on Splash if it is not freezing first since you are all the way back there at least first. Just my 2 cents!

I will give you my secret FL/AL strategy that works like a charm. Walk back to Splash at opening. On the way, get a FP for Indy or BMTRR if your kids are too little. Go on splash and then work your way forward- Pooh, HM, PoTC, treehouse. It will be time for your FP. If you FPed Indy, grab one for BTMRR before riding Indy- if not, get another for BTMRR although you may not even need your first one at this point, if this is the case, save it for later. Then go on Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Mark Twain and back to BTMRR. You have now done that whole side of the park with minimal walking and it is probably 2.5 hours after opening.

smd4
02-22-2007, 05:28 AM
If you depart on foot from Main Street Station the same time a train departs, and you walk at a reasonable pace, the train will get there before you do.

If you walk at a brisk pace, you may both arrive in NOS at the same time.

If you run, you will probably arrive just slightly before the train does.

(Speaking from experience).

mask41
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Finally, you wrote: "PS - we will have two 5 year olds and a senior tagging along!" Shame on you! Tagging along?!

I just have to reply to this - Maybe I should not have used the word "tagging" but I am only looking to optimize the enjoyment of this trip for my kids and mother - my mom and I have been dreaming of bringing our boys to DL since they were born. We always said, when the boys are 5 we're taking them for their first Disney trip. We finally made it - yeah!! I just wanted to make it clear, that with 2 kids and my mom, I was really looking for the easiest way to make it around. If it were just my husband and I, we would just bolt into the parks and do whatever, whenever. My kids and mom are not going to be a burden, I am just trying to make the trip as easy and enjoyable as possible for all of us!

Thanks for letting me clear my name!!
-Amy

just beatla33
02-22-2007, 09:56 AM
depends on when your trip is, because isn't the RR closed for a few months till like late May

Malcon10t
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
My kids and mom are not going to be a burden, I am just trying to make the trip as easy and enjoyable as possible for all of us!

-AmyI can relate. We had my mom and s-dad with us last year. We had to really change our strategy on how to do the park. My kids have to change how they do the park to accomodate me. *I* tag along with them (weird as I pay for most of it) but they let me come along.

*If* the train is working, I would take the train. If it isn't, you might consider doing one of the main street vehicles, mainly because the kids would enjoy it. Takes you from the plaza to the hub.

jcruise86
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I just have to reply to this - Maybe I should not have used the word "tagging"
. . . My kids and mom are not going to be a burden, I am just trying to make the trip as easy and enjoyable as possible for all of us!

-Amy
By the power invested in me as a former Jungle Cruise Guide, I hereby declare that your name has been cleared and your reputation restored!

My Mom is in her 80s and LOVES sitting on a bench and watch families. My daughter is under two and loves standing in front of the Delta Daddios. Most people in between would probably try to hit as many E-ticket attractions as possible, but the wonderful thing about Disneyland is that toddlers and senior citizens can have a wonderful day there.

While I've got your attention, I suggest walking to Pooh through Frontierland rather than the more crowded Adventureland.

yellowrosedtxn
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I think it is wonderful that you are taking your kids and your mom, but I would second the vote of starting off in Fantasyland first ONLY because the lines get longer and longer through out the day. I am not sure your kids are ready for splash and I know my dad really doesn't like it (he's 60). He doesn't like anything that gives you that falling feeling (TOT). Winnie the Pooh is a nice relaxing ride and usually no line, not even during the summer months. Start out going to FL especially if you can do it on an EE day. That way you get all of those lines done with first with little or no wait. THEN you can head over to critter country to do Winnie. OR you might want to make a stop at Toon Town first since this is geared towards younger children. There are areas that your mom might like to sit down to wait for the kids to do whatever OR she might enjoy going with the kids to meet Mickey and Minnie.

Just my two cents, knock out Toon Town and Fantasyland early and then stroll over to Critter Country for Winnie the Pooh.

Shelley

lbrackjo
02-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I too followed the tour plan from the UOG and went to Pooh first. Don't bother. Pooh doesn't build much of a line at all these days. So I agree with those who say do Fantasyland first, because those lines do build.

Also when picking up your stroller, ask them to show you how to fold it down for the train. I couldn't figure it out in the quick moments before the train pulled out.

yohomama212
02-23-2007, 09:42 AM
For clarification, DH and I had to wait in line with DS for 20 minutes for Pooh Bear around the first of the year! There "might" be a line if the park is especially busy. But even 20 minutes isn't too bad (and the restroom nearby at the lower level of the Hungry Bear Resturant is the only one I've found in the park with consistently warm tap water for washing your hands, it's a nice treat when it's freezing outside and so it the tap water in every other restroom).

Liz :cool:

mask41
02-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks so much everybody!! I just can't even imagine going into the parks 'blind" without a plan or guidance. My family thinks I am nuts for all this planning, but I think it will all payoff in the end:D

I think Day 2 of 5 we will start our day off at Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, then take the train from NOS to Mickey’s Toontown, Get FastPass for Roger Rabbit, do the Toontown Rides, have lunch at Riverbelle, ride Matterhorn, go back to do Roger Rabitt, then take the train to Tomorrowland, get Fast Pass for Autopia, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, then Jedi, Innoventions or Buzz, monorail ride, then Autopia!

Again, I am open for critiques - unfortunately Tom Sawyer Island and Splash Mountain is closed while we are there and my husband and I are saving Indy for the evenings when we are going to hit the park after grandma and the kids are in bed (hopefully we will get one night).

Thanks again everyone,
Amy

DisneyDustin22
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks so much everybody!! I just can't even imagine going into the parks 'blind" without a plan or guidance. My family thinks I am nuts for all this planning, but I think it will all payoff in the end:D

I understand where you're coming from by planning. But sometimes half the fun of enjoying the park is the spontaneous nature of it. The only thing I don't like about too much advanced planning is too many factors are out of your control. Maybe you have a set schedule of what rides you want to hit in what order. But what if one goes down for technical difficulties or you get stuck on a ride. Or the kids want to stop and take pictures with Goofy in Frontierland. Suddenly you're off 30 minutes or so. Little things like that throw your schedule off and you just want to make sure your planning doesnt take over the fun everyone should be having! But I know you already know that! ;)

Im sure everything will work out great and you guys will have a blast! You'll be at Disneyland...how could you not!? :)

hefferdude
02-23-2007, 11:41 AM
With two kids and a mom in tow, doing Main Street by horse drawn trolley, one of the cars or the Omnibus is a great way to start the DL day. Wonderful way to view Main Street first, take some pictures of your group at the start and end up right at the entrance to the castle. Also, the CMs operating these attractions are always very friendly and informative. My vote is also - do Fantasyland first. It can get very crowded and can be stressful towards mid morning and later unless you are there on a particularly slow day.

mask41
02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks again. I am not going to be devastated if our plans get interrupted or sidetracked - thanks for the words of inpsiration! I just want some sort of guidelines at least until we get a feel for the parks. We are definitely doing FL first thing on our first day. Day #5 I am not going to plan, figure by then we will know what we want to re-do and what we should do when before we have to head home!
You all are the greatest!!!
-Amy

Donald Duck Fan68
02-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I think Day 2 of 5 we will start our day off at Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, then take the train from NOS to Mickey’s Toontown, Get FastPass for Roger Rabbit, do the Toontown Rides, have lunch at Riverbelle, ride Matterhorn, go back to do Roger Rabitt, then take the train to Tomorrowland, get Fast Pass for Autopia, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, then Jedi, Innoventions or Buzz, monorail ride, then Autopia!

Again, I am open for critiques - unfortunately Tom Sawyer Island and Splash Mountain is closed while we are there and my husband and I are saving Indy for the evenings when we are going to hit the park after grandma and the kids are in bed (hopefully we will get one night).

Thanks again everyone,
Amy

I would walk through Adventureland, stop at Indy, and pick up Fastpasses for Indy for you and DH later that night in the park. Don't worry about the end time being over, CM's are only concerned about the start of the FP window, not the end. Also, there's a lot of walking in the middle of your day, when you go have lunch at Riverbelle (from TT) only to go back to TT to ride RR. I'd try to ride Roger one way or another before leaving TT. Then, after Matterhorn, you're right next to Tomorrowland and don't have to take the train. Also, you mention Innoventions OR Buzz, and I think the kids will like Buzz better, but that's just my opinion. Hope that helps.

Malcon10t
02-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Amy,

A reminder about the monorail... It is in shuttle mode, so you will ride to DTD, get off, exit, reenter and ride the next monorail back. You might consider this a ride for the day you go to Goofy's or want to do some shopping in DTD.

mistofviolets
02-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks again. I am not going to be devastated if our plans get interrupted or sidetracked - thanks for the words of inpsiration! I just want some sort of guidelines at least until we get a feel for the parks. We are definitely doing FL first thing on our first day. Day #5 I am not going to plan, figure by then we will know what we want to re-do and what we should do when before we have to head home!
You all are the greatest!!!
-Amy

Have you seen ridemax? For a small fee you can download it, and print up several itineraries showing minimal walking and minimal wait time. :) And ample "free time". We mixed and matched as we saw fit, did very little line time and had a lot of fun. We also decided not to stress about seeing everything and doing everything...its much more important for the kids to enjoy doing WHAT we do.