PDA

View Full Version : New AP newsletter - Food and Wine dates and much more

Darkbeer
02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Just got the newest Backstage Pass in the mail, it has a little girl dressed as a princess on the front cover. It is not yet available at Disneyland.com/AP

Highlights...

Page 1 and 2 talks about YOAMD and a few AP holders who won major prizes

Page 3 talks about Rockin' Both Parks, and no mention of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Page 4 talks about the Finding Nemo Sub Voyage, Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter are interviewed, not much new, interesting to note that they did not mention the June 11th opening date, instead saying "Resurfacing this Summer", wonder if they are worried about making the deadline... And mentioned the fact that new FN:SV merchandise will be on the shelves before the ride opens.

Page 5 and 6 talk about the Food & Wine Weekends at DCA. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from April 27th thru May 20th.

Sounds very similar to last years event, same type of seminars and that Lucky Fortune Cookery will be used to feature a "Taste of California" like last year.

They list a website, but it really doesn't say much...

http://www.DisneysCaliforniaFoodAndWineWeekends.com

Also there will be a special AP party on Saturday, May 12th from 6:30 to 9:30 PM at Stage 17 (the old Millionaire Building). No price listed, it says to go to the link above for more details, but none are yet listed at the web site.

Page 7 and 8 talk about Passholder Perks. A Meet the Robinsons interview with the director, Steve Anderson, and then a mention of the El Capitan special AP events on March 31st at 10 AM and April 1st at 12:25 PM.

There is an actual cardboard Photo Pass that gives you a 20% discount if you use the card. Also a mention of discounted Ducks tickets.

Page 9 lists more AP perks, 10% off at DisneyShopping.com until March 15th, use the code "FEBAP10" at checkout.

Weekday LUNCHES at Yamibuki's are 20% off thru April 30th.

Special Brunches for Easter (featuring Alice) and Mother's Day (featuring the Princesses), $57 for Adults, $14.50 for kids 3 thru 11. Both at the Grand Ballroom at the DLH. AP discounts will be given.

Page 10 lists some new merchandise and talks about the name change for Steakhouse 55.

Page 11 and 12 are promos for Adventures by Disney, DVC and the Cruise Line. ABD is offering 15% discount on selected packages thru March 31st. DVC is offering a $15 credit per point for AP holders if you act by March 5th, this is a serious discount of over $2,000 for the cheapest plan, and worth more if you want a large package.

Page 13 talks about the second "Dining with Character" AP Pin, "Chef" Sebastian. The offer starts Sunday, March 11th. There is also an article about the Disneyland Band.

Page 14 talks about renewing on line, that Anne Geddis is having a clearance sale, up to 70% off, and that Plushes are buy one, get one free. Also a special Valentine's Gift Card is available, and a Disney Chase Visa card offer.

So keep a eye on your mailbox.

jenpace
02-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for posting this! Our AP's have lapsed and we won't be re-newing until we arrive at DL in March so this was great to be able read :)

Jennifer

Darkbeer
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Just double checked the AP event at the link...

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/landing?name=AP_FoodWineTasteEventPage (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/landing?name=AP_FoodWineTasteEventPage)

$100 per person

Vanity FairŽ Premium Napkins invites you to an exclusive Annual Passholder event that delights the senses of sight, sound and, most importantly, taste. Stage 17 in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is transformed into a grand culinary spectacle showcasing divine foods and a remarkable collection of excellent wines, beers and spirits. Explore tasting stations, sample delicious creations and enjoy the smooth sounds of cool jazz. Eat fantastic food, drink fine wines and celebrate the joys of life.

Date: Saturday, May 12, 2007
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Location: Stage 17 in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, Disney's California AdventureŽ Park
Price: $100 per person (including tax and gratuity, no discounts apply)

Theme Park admission to Disney's California AdventureŽ Park is required and is not included in the event price. This is an exclusive Annual Passholder event. Each Guest will be required to show their valid DisneylandŽ Resort Annual Passport. Advanced reservations are required.

Check this page on March 1st for details on making reservations.

olegc
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
i was dissapointed in the majority of the magazine - as almost all of the information not only has appeared on fan sites - but through Disney press releases as well. If this is supposed to be a "Backstage" look at Disneyland for APs (who WDC knows are ravenous for info) then IMHO it's the Ed Grier regime going brain-dead. Just re-releasing electornic information on printed paper is a waste of time and money.

Now - for the AP food event - does the $100 include the tastes? I would hope so, since it does not include Park admission - but I can see where they might think charging $100 to get in is appropriate and then charging for tastes (hey, your $100 covers wages and operational costs for the event!).

Another Dimension
02-23-2007, 04:07 PM
i was dissapointed in the majority of the magazine - as almost all of the information not only has appeared on fan sites - but through Disney press releases as well. If this is supposed to be a "Backstage" look at Disneyland for APs (who WDC knows are ravenous for info) then IMHO it's the Ed Grier regime going brain-dead. Just re-releasing electornic information on printed paper is a waste of time and money.

A safe bet would be, that not every Annual Passholder is online.

Now - for the AP food event - does the $100 include the tastes?
Yes.

Darkbeer
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
But why would an AP need Park Admission? The "rules" state that EVERY person needs to be an AP holder....

LAWYERS!!!

cstephens
02-23-2007, 07:23 PM
But why would an AP need Park Admission? The "rules" state that EVERY person needs to be an AP holder....

LAWYERS!!!

Because it doesn't say every person has to be a PREMIUM annual passholder. May 12 appears to be a blockout day for every level of AP except premium. It's not that hard to figure out.

olegc
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Yes.

while I thank you for the assurance... it would be more comforting to see something in print from DLR....

cstephens
02-23-2007, 09:41 PM
while I thank you for the assurance... it would be more comforting to see something in print from DLR....

You mean you want Disney to say "Please note that the following information is being sent to you in case you're one of those who doesn't find this information online"? That would be beyond bizarre, and I'm not exactly sure why you're looking for "comfort" on this point.

I personally know quite a number of people who are annual passholders who don't do a lot of Disneying online. When I find out about interesting things, I'll share the information with them, but I don't forward everything to them. I can name you a few people who probably wouldn't know most of what's in the newest newsletter because they don't participate on Disney discussion boards or necessarily read Disney press releases.

yenko427
02-24-2007, 07:17 AM
We are new AP holders, how often does Backstage Pass newsletter come out? We have not received ours yet and I am assuming it is because we are out of State and it will take a little longer to make its way here?

Park Freak
02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
There seems to be no rhyme or reason in regards to who gets them first. I live in AZ, and I frequently get things before my sister does, and she lives 10 miles away from "The Park"!!!

P.S. I haven't gotten mine yet either.

olegc
02-24-2007, 07:58 AM
You mean you want Disney to say "Please note that the following information is being sent to you in case you're one of those who doesn't find this information online"? That would be beyond bizarre, and I'm not exactly sure why you're looking for "comfort" on this point.

well, you got it half right...

when I wrote "print" i meant in some form of text - whether a press release, newsletter, website, email, whatever. I think you read to much into my wording and, to be honest, online only would be my preference as I work in the medium all day long. But I digress...

Just once I would like the Anaheim marketing and merchandise departments to get all their ducks in a row and be synchronized. They're all secluded in the Yellow building together anyway...

yohomama212
02-24-2007, 08:04 AM
I picked one up in the Passport office last week when we were there getting the passes for my extended family. There was a whole stack there, and the lady said they had just come out. I don't know if ours has come in the mail yet, it all goes to DH's office so I probably wouldn't have seen it unless I picked it up in the park!

Liz :cool:

cstephens
02-24-2007, 08:48 AM
when I wrote "print" i meant in some form of text - whether a press release, newsletter, website, email, whatever. I think you read to much into my wording and, to be honest, online only would be my preference as I work in the medium all day long. But I digress...

Maybe it's just me, but I still don't know what it is that you want Disney to skywrite in huge letters, and I still don't see what your objection is to the newsletter. I guess those who don't care to participate in online discussions and such should just be out-of-luck. Or even those of us who spend a lot of time online but who still like having something physical to hold and look at. And no, printing something out from the net yourself isn't the same thing.

potzbie
02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
My copy of BACKSTAGE PASS arrived in today's mail, Saturday Feb. 24, 2007.

The dateline on the cover says "Winter 2007" and indeed I remember that the old newsletter was seasonal, coming out each quarter but with a fifth seasonal one, I think, in between the Summer issue and Christmas issue, or the Christmas issue coming between Fall and Winter. -- You get the idea. --- It is not monthly.

olegc
02-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I still don't know what it is that you want Disney to skywrite in huge letters, and I still don't see what your objection is to the newsletter. I guess those who don't care to participate in online discussions and such should just be out-of-luck. Or even those of us who spend a lot of time online but who still like having something physical to hold and look at. And no, printing something out from the net yourself isn't the same thing.

OK - let me make it blatantly simple for you...

"tastes included" or "tastes not included"..

that's all - is it too much to ask - or are you going to skewer me some more? I seems to be a very simple request...

Tinker Bell
02-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I got mine today. I live 15 min from the park. What Bugs me is I am the Disney Nut here and we have 6 AP here in this house plus I used my addy for an AP for 2 nieces and a friend's kid and used my addy cause I did not know theirs by heart When I stood in line with them to upgrade. So I get a Stack of Newletters and not One with my name on it. :( Did I say I am the only PAP here. Gosh Disney must not like me.

KarenW2
02-24-2007, 10:37 PM
We got our newsletter in the mail and I also enjoy having a "hard copy" of things from Disney, even tho I'm on the computer pretty often.

I couldn't believe the price of the class with Chef Andrew at the Napa Rose - $325 a person!! It's a 3 hour class, you'll be doing things hands-on with him, having a meal (obviously a lunch, given the time the class is given) with "appropriate wines" AND a chef's coat as a "souvenir", but $325 each?!

I'd love for my hubby to do the class and get the special chef's coat (I got him a regular one for Christmas and he loves wearing it whenever he cooks!), but I think this is a bit overpriced for what you get. The wine dinners are only $125 or $145 and those are complete dinners, with wines. I was excited to see they were offering classes again, but I'm definitely disappointed at the price.

cstephens
02-25-2007, 02:33 AM
OK - let me make it blatantly simple for you...

"tastes included" or "tastes not included"..

that's all - is it too much to ask - or are you going to skewer me some more? I seems to be a very simple request...

OK, then we've been on two different planets, because I was talking about your statement:

i was dissapointed in the majority of the magazine - as almost all of the information not only has appeared on fan sites - but through Disney press releases as well. ... Just re-releasing electornic information on printed paper is a waste of time and money.

To which Another Dimension replied:

To which you replied:

In looking at it again, I guess that means your response was only in response to AD's response of "yes" to your question about the tastes. I read it as a response to not every AP being online, which is where you'll see all my comments are about.

As far as whether or not tastes are included, I guess it wasn't a question for me at all. For that price, tastes would be included, though I would expect limited tastes. $100 is way too much as a simple cover charge.

cstephens
02-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I couldn't believe the price of the class with Chef Andrew at the Napa Rose - $325 a person!! It's a 3 hour class, you'll be doing things hands-on with him, having a meal (obviously a lunch, given the time the class is given) with "appropriate wines" AND a chef's coat as a "souvenir", but $325 each?!

It was $250 last year and sold out quickly, so they must have figured they could charge more for it.

TLMT took the class last year and posted a report about how fabulous she thought it was. A friend of a friend who's an amazing cook also took the class, and she loved it as well.

TLMT - Does the class description this year sound the same as last year? Do you think it would have been worth the extra $75?