PDA

View Full Version : AP Hand Stamp

socabch
06-04-2002, 07:31 AM
I just got my renewal info for my AP's from DLR. In one of the inserts it says AP's still need to get a hand stamp to re-enter. I know this isn't an old insert because it has the new prices on it. Last time I was there, a CM at the gate told me I didn't need one. Anyone know the real answer? :confused:

Uncle Dick
06-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by socabch
I just got my renewal info for my AP's from DLR. In one of the inserts it says AP's still need to get a hand stamp to re-enter. I know this isn't an old insert because it has the new prices on it. Last time I was there, a CM at the gate told me I didn't need one. Anyone know the real answer? :confused:
APs don't need handstamps. Trust the CMs who scan you in. They know all. :)

BTW, anybody else noticed the disappearance of the blacklight scanners from each turnstyle? Now the CMs just eyeball it.

socabch
06-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Uncle Dick,

Thanks! I should know to trust the CM's and not the literature. Makes you wonder about communication between the depts.:eek:

RStar
06-04-2002, 12:30 PM
The gate CMs told me the same thing, but I still get the stamp just in case (and it is fun to smear it all over your face and see people's reaction on the dark rides!:eek: ). Any way, when I go through the gates, they don't ask to see a hand stamp.

Disney Nick
06-04-2002, 12:34 PM
No hand stamp necessary... Don't ask how they see other people's handstamps without a blacklight though.

Mouse
06-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RStar
The gate CMs told me the same thing, but I still get the stamp just in case (and it is fun to smear it all over your face and see people's reaction on the dark rides!:eek: ). Any way, when I go through the gates, they don't ask to see a hand stamp.

What the!? Uh...nevermind...

FantasmicFan82
06-05-2002, 12:46 AM
you know what, i noticed that today too. I walked out of DL and got a handstamp (Jafar), when i went to DCA they didn't check it, then came back to DL and they didn't check it... my name's on the screen from my AP, they KNOW i've already been here today. i like getting them anyways, then i go on dark rides and look at it. =)

RStar
06-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Mouse

What the!? Uh...nevermind...

OK, so I'm a little strange!:eek:

My son does that too, and a CM say him once and barked out at hih "Hey, don't do that!" Don't know if it is toxic or something, but why should she care? Any way I stopped doing after that. ;)

I will probably stop getting the stamps now, unless I want to freak out someone in our group on a dark ride:D !

hbquikcomjamesl
06-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Hmm. On the other hand (no pun intended, for once), there's a legitimate reason for requiring passholders to have handstamps for re-entry and park-hopping: otherwise, identical twins could share a single AP.

As I recall, when I visited WDW in November 2000, I was never asked to show a handstamp when park-hopping on my "ultimate park-hopper" hotel key. Nor was I measured for the hand-geometry scanners. As I recall, their gates were also much more lightly supervised, and entering a park simply involved inserting the aforementioned hotel key into a slot, then retrieving it from a second slot, much like a BART fare gate. (We now appear to have all the hardware in place to do that here, including magnetically-striped passes; anybody know why we're still on fully-manned gates, using barcode instead of magnetic stripes?)

Mad Madam Mim
06-06-2002, 12:46 PM
I haven't been getting my hand stamped.... I've never had a prob. And when the hand stamper askes if i want one, i just tell them i'm an AP holder and wave me though.

Dave Z
06-06-2002, 02:24 PM
My dtr loves the hand stamp in dark rides and such. Or trying to figure out who it is. Disney should call it an 'attraction'. :)

Bill Catherall
06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
...and it is fun to smear it all over your face and see people's reaction on the dark rides!:eek:
Hey, that's a really cool idea! :D Never thought of that.

Have you ever smeared that glow-stick chemical on your face? It's non-toxic, but I don't know if it washes off easily. I saw some kids do this once before and it's really freaky at night. Just snap a glow-stick and shake it up. Once it gets glowing cut it open and apply to skin. :D

RStar
06-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Or you could take a necklace one, cut the end off and twirl it aroun the room. Then turn off the lights, turn on a black light and it looks real cool. My son did this as well. you don't see the stuff in regular light, so it doesn't hurt anything.

Yes my son has a black light in his room. And a lava lamp, and a disco ball, and some christmas lights, and a suround sound stereo! So it's a party in there.:D

ldsguy
06-07-2002, 08:13 AM
APs do not need handstamps, however cast members do from what I have been told, kind of odd, huh?

I too have noticed that the blacklights are missing......my guess is that they are preparing to go to the less manned gates somehow, I also hear the the Paradise Pier hotel's entrance is similar to what has been described earlier.....just slide your hotl key through and your in.

Techie7
06-07-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Hey, that's a really cool idea! :D Never thought of that.

Have you ever smeared that glow-stick chemical on your face? It's non-toxic, but I don't know if it washes off easily. I saw some kids do this once before and it's really freaky at night. Just snap a glow-stick and shake it up. Once it gets glowing cut it open and apply to skin. :D

Yippy just what I have always wanted... A chemical reaction occurring on my face! :)

hbquikcomjamesl
06-07-2002, 09:37 AM
Actually, the chemicals in lightsticks (essentially the same luciferin/luciferase reaction that takes place in a firefly's butt) should not require blacklight, or even be affected by it, whether still in the lightstick (or other item) or spilled on your skin or clothing.

I suspect that the reason why handstamps are still mentioned in AP printed material is a simple case of "XXX-covering": by reserving the right to resume requiring passholders to get their hands stamped, without advance notice, they're covering their XXXes; by getting your hand stamped the first time you leave a park, unless you're leaving the property for the day, you're covering your own XXX in case they've resumed the requirement without telling you.

[Moderator's Note: Attempt to circumvent our censored word list masked. Using words knowing they will be masked and/or attempting to circumvent our censored word list is not allowed on this board. Adrienne K]

RStar
06-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Yes, I found it to be interesting that Luciferin would reflect the UV light as well as it does, but it does. I think it may be the base material that could do it. It looks much like the reflection of white paper, and after it no longer glows, is invisible without the black light. Different material reflects UV diferently. My white rubber soles of my shoes look gray, while the laces look blue.

As for the AP printed material, it may have been printed a year ago, or they haven't caught up with policy. Or it could be as you say. The point is that for now it seems to not be nessisary.:D

:cool:
The world glows under a black light!!

RStar
06-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Techie7

Yippy just what I have always wanted... A chemical reaction occurring on my face! :)

There are already many chemical reactions happening on your face. When you go into the sun, your skin manufactures vitamin D. And a sun burn is a chemical reaction. ;)

At least it's not the same reaction as the one that is found in a bugs butt:eek: !

MonorailMan
06-07-2002, 06:04 PM
while the laces look blue.

Also, the fibers in the White Mickey Gloves glow a bright blue, mom laughed we she first saw it on RRCTS. :)