PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing about the "Year of a Million Dreams" decor?

r-we-there-yet
02-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello all,

I was just looking at various post, and I noticed that some are complaining about the YOMD decorations. I thought they were not to bad, as well as my wife. What are we missing? It has a fantasy theme to it (in our opinion), and it is colorful. What gives? :confused:

dznyphreak
02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
My only complaint is how bright they are. The swirly things by the entrance stand out way too much against the grass and flowers.

Also, what's with the fake swans??? Lame...

Bytebear
02-19-2007, 05:18 PM
They are too flat. They look like steel or plastic cut outs. If they had some third dimention to them, it would be a big improvement. Also, who decided that a cardboard cutout of Tinkerbell would be a good improvement to the Mickey flowerbed? They couldn't budget for a 3-D model of Tink?

Tink
02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
a cardboard cutout of Tinkerbell

They have a Tinker Bell?? :eek:

Okay, I stated this in the other thread about these decorations but it must have been ignored.

I really don't think these decorations are for the YOMD celebration. I believe them to be fairy related. With all the new books and movies about the fairies, I feel that these decorations have something to do with them, not the YOMD... :(

**crickets chirpping**

Hello? Is anybody listening?

Post post: Okay, I just did some research and yes those pastel swirly things are for YOMD - so, please ignore the ranting and ravings of a lunatic mind... That said, I believe they are completely harmless as long as you don't approach them from behind and frighten them.

DaddyB
02-19-2007, 11:23 PM
They have a Tinker Bell?? :eek:

http://www.visionsfantastic.org/daddyb/2007_02_07_Update/02_07_Update.htm
You can see the Tink cutout (silhouette) at the top of the floral Mickey swirls in pictures 7 and 8 of my photo update.

Silhouettes are sort of a recurring theme to the YOMD marketing (it's on the leaves banners (as I call them), on the lamposts along Main Street, and on the banners in front of the castle.

I heard that this larger Tink silhouette has been used before at WDW.

You can see pix of the silhouettes (I didn't even know how to spell silhouettes prior to this weekend!) in my latest photo update (see my signature below).

yohomama212
02-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I think I've figured it out! After reading through posts and comentaries on photos, I have found a common link in all the complaints. There's simply a lack of imagination! Prop up three sheets of well cut metal and call it a swan. Works for me... I can see it. Doesn't work for most. They want it to be cut and dry, it is what it is and no room for interpretaion because they don't want to be "wrong". The wonderful thing about imagination is that it's never "wrong"! Can you imagine where we would all be today if people started ranting and raving about Cinderella's pumpkin turning into a coach! But through the wonderful gift of imagination and the helpful employ of "suspension of disbelief", all these wonderful things can be possible, and even beautiful! The bright pastel swirls on the bridge into the park don't deface it and certainly aren't blasphemous. They simply are there and really I don't see them much anymore. There's plenty of magic and beauty in the parks that you're missing when you start to focus on the things that upset you! If it bothers you that much, just ignore it and get on with your day. It's okay to use your imagination, I think Walt would have wanted at least that much from you! Find the beauty, revel in the wonder, and remember the magic!

Liz :cool:

newhdplayer
02-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Hello all,

I was just looking at various post, and I noticed that some are complaining about the YOMD decorations. I thought they were not to bad, as well as my wife. What are we missing? It has a fantasy theme to it (in our opinion), and it is colorful. What gives? :confused:

We do not appreciate anyone tampering with the original vision Walt had for Disneyland. We consider it corporate pandering and a mass-market driven dilution of the "original" Disneyland. And you are not allowed to disagree.:rolleyes:

yohomama212
02-20-2007, 12:24 PM
No Indy, No ToonTown, No added rides or shows or attractions at all? If it stayed the same as it was in 1955, who would still go? Once you've seen it all and done it all a couple times, why continue to visit the same old park? Adding to the park is a way to continue the magic!

Liz :cool:

Pirate Princess
02-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Ewww.. when I last went it was the YOAMD but it was holiday time so those tacky decorations were not up. I think I am prone to use the word tacky because I am used to the park being BEAUTIFUL. Our last two trips involved holiday decorations and the one before that was the 50th! (Actually our last four (five ?) trips have fallen under the 50th or holiday time.)
So in comparision... ewwww.

dznyphreak
02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
...and remember the magic!

Niiiiice...been to WDW lately? :D

I love that song, btw.

I do find the decor a bit tacky and cheap-looking. They could've put a little extra time into it...after all, it is Disneyland we're talking about.

Another Dimension
02-20-2007, 06:13 PM
The decor is plentiful and the Dream Team and their prizes are rarely ever seen.

Disney really needs to work on that.

Decorations don't give out prizes or make dreams come true. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any Dream Team CMs for weeks, in either park.
But the decor is impossible to miss.

How exciting!!! :~D

DaddyB
02-20-2007, 08:17 PM
My 2 cents

1.) Why does there have to be any big deal promotion for the whole year anyway? We just had a 50th celebration that lasted like 18 months. Why does there have to be a big deal to begin with. Let there be some rest between big promotions or else people won't be paying attention to your ads any more.

2.)Since Jay Rasulo in his 'infinite wisdom' decided there is going to be a giveaway and big deal promotion of the parks, then they should DO IT RIGHT. I don't think they have to give away a car a day like with the Space Mountain promotion in 2005, but come on, something a little bigger than hats and fastpasses... and perhaps someplace where they can post pictures of the winners and the prizes they won so people can see "Oh. There's a giveaway going on."

As far as the swirly decorations and swans go. I don't like 'em, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to be permanent, so I'll put up with them and shoot pictures of them. Remember when they had plywood cutouts of the Gummi Bears around the park? At least it's better than that!

Pirate Princess
02-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Remember when they had plywood cutouts of the Gummi Bears around the park? At least it's better than that!

WHEN was this?? And more importantly... WHERE are the pictures???

It's kinda like a train wreck... I know I shouldn't... but the morbid curiousity is getting to me

findingmickey
02-21-2007, 08:05 AM
ehhh...i can't say i love or hate the YOMD decos. seems like most don't like the decos. what do you think disney could have come up with better? or what better way to present the colorful swirls? :)

samsma
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Just got back, hers my opinion,LOVED the YOAMD decorations.The swans, I liked them,The lightposts looked very nice too. I liked the flags out front of the castle. The ONLY thing I thought that looked "CHEAP", was the swirls on the bridge. Perhaps if they were painted on or made of ribbons or something? I think it is the plastic or plywood overlay that makes it look funny. We still thought everything looked good though.

findingmickey
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
oh yes...i agree there with the lamps! i think they are very cute! love the little silver characters swirling around!

here's a picture of one if you haven't seen them...
http://findingmickey.squarespace.com/display/ShowPicture?moduleId=563477&pictureId=602807&galleryId=50847

:)

danyoung
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
There's simply a lack of imagination! Prop up three sheets of well cut metal and call it a swan. Works for me... I can see it. Doesn't work for most. They want it to be cut and dry, it is what it is and no room for interpretaion because they don't want to be "wrong".

For me that's not the case at all. In the right situation, 3 sheets of well cut metal are just fine. But I don't want to have to squint my eyes and imagine that the swirly things on the train station tunnels belong there, either thematically or color design wise. They just don't - they look like cheap applique's. My not liking them doesn't mean that I'm not going to enjoy my next visit. Nor does it mean I have a lack of imagination. It means that, in my opinion, Disney did a cheap job with these decorative additions. They've done much better in the past, and they need to do so again.

dznyphreak
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
They should've stuck with the YOMD color scheme...where did the pinks and greens come from???

WITron
02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
WHEN was this?? And more importantly... WHERE are the pictures???

It's kinda like a train wreck... I know I shouldn't... but the morbid curiousity is getting to me

Those were out in the late eighties/early 90's They turned the motorboat cruise into Gummi Glen. There was also a cheap version of Duckburg. And were ToonTown is now was a meet and greet with Baloo.

Pirate Princess
02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Those were out in the late eighties/early 90's They turned the motorboat cruise into Gummi Glen. There was also a cheap version of Duckburg. And were ToonTown is now was a meet and greet with Baloo.
I was thinking gummy bears you eat... I remember the Gummi Bears (not at DL but on TV)
Song was something like.. we are the Gummi Bears.. Bouncing here and there and everywhere... we are the Gummi Beaaaaaaaaaaaaars.

I searched the internet high and low for pics but only found images doing a google image search "gummi glen" the photos cannot be linked to because the website is down but you can still see the thumbnails.