PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a time in early December?

disneychick
02-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, after visiting DL in November (11th-18th) after a few years away, we've already decided that we're going back again before Christmas. Our 4 year old LOVED every minute of the trip, and we forgot how heavenly it is to take a vacation where we can all have a lot of fun at the same time! I've been wading through past posts, but am looking for some help as far as nailing down the "ideal" time in late Nov/early Dec.

We would like to go when all the Christmas stuff is up, but not over Veteran's Day weekend like this last visit. We also want to skip Thanksgiving crowds - we were thinking of the first week in Dec, but I've been reading about the Candlelight Processional and early closing.....now I'm just confused! We don't have any expectations of an empty park, but do prefer to go at a "quieter" time (as much as can be expected)....can anyone with a lot more experience and knowledge than me weigh in with some thoughts on when would be a great time to go? It's early, I know, but we're planning 8 nights at the GC again and want to know what we're doing soon.

Our initial thoughts were Dec 1-8. November is still a possibility, however, the 12-19 would be our only option and I'm concerned the TG crowds might be building by then. When would you go?

mariezp
02-18-2007, 07:07 PM
We were at Disneyland last year Dec. 3-13. We arrived to attend the Candlelight Processional. It was awesome but I do not think I would go through all the expense and time of going again. Generally we take a break back at the hotel during the day but on the 2 days the park closed at 6 we stayed all day so going in early was nice. At that time of year they usually have some Christmas movies playing in the theater if you still want something to do after the park closes. And of course, you could always make reservations for a later dinner or do Downtown Disney.

The park was not so crowded throughout the week but did get fairly crowded on weekends but I am sure not anything like the crowds later in the month. The decorations were beautiful and the SNOW was amazing! If you have ever considered doing a tour the Christmas tour was great. The weather was much warmer during the day than I had expected but the evenings were considerably cooler.

Overall we had a wonderful time in the park. I am so glad we went in December just once. I would certainly recommend everyone to go to Disneyland during the holiday season at least once.

For our family, we decided we need to be at home during the holiday season! We only had 10 days until Christmas when we got home. I was so rushed my Christmas spirit rather suffered!

Like you, we are still trying to find our "perfect time". This year we are going to try September... next, maybe November?....

missm
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I went Dec. 1st to Dec. 7 in 2004. It was the least crowded I have ever seen the park. I have gone pretty much during every month of the year. We skipped the Candlelight day and went down to Sea World instead. It was so dead in Disneyland we never used a fastpass. We ended up getting a couple the last day just for souveniers. One of the nights we ended up staying on our Splash Mt. boat for 3 ride throughs. The CM said she had never seen it happen before and to consider ourselves lucky. I love going the first week of Dec. I wanted to go this year again but had to book the trip for April instead because of a wedding down there.

emmah
02-19-2007, 10:23 AM
i went nov 30 through dec 5 in 2005 - right after thanksgiving and during the candlelight processional - and it was the most amazing week. for the first few days the park was basically empty with no queues and i ran around and did whatever i felt like, whenever i felt like it. over the weekend the crowds joined in the fun, so i went early in the morning and then in the afternoon i did the christmas tour, and the 50th anniversary tour, getting great seats for the parade and the fireworks respectively, then come monday the throngs left and we had the park to ourselves again.

what was particularly great about this week was that the fireworks were held every night (and never cancelled - this past january we went for a week and the fireworks were cancelled every single night because of winds) not just on the weekends, and on the weekend everything was going (canoes for instance, and fantasmic), and there were all sorts of hitherto unknown treats such as sipping hot cocoa in the cold, and watching the candy makers creating candycanes.

the only drawback was that we don't like the holiday version of HM and now haven't seen the original in years - it's always either HMH or closed while they take it down, when we get there.

animalx
02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
I went Nov 29 - Dec 10. It was windy for the first week and fireworks were cancelled a few times in that period. Other than that it was great. We will probably go again during this time of year with the plan of never going on the weekend and just stick to a 5 day pass Mon-Fri. avg wait was 5-15 minutes at most during the week.

Donald Duck Fan68
02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
If it were me, I'd choose that first week of December. Historically, that is the least crowded (with the exception of the Candlelight Processional, which you can plan around). It looks like the 3rd - 7th will be the least crowded for you.

missm
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
the only drawback was that we don't like the holiday version of HM and now haven't seen the original in years - it's always either HMH or closed while they take it down, when we get there.

I totally agree with that! I am so excited to see the "original" version of HM next month.

mousemom
02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
It looks to me like you are going for enough days that the Candlelight Processional shouldn't throw a serious wrench into your plans. There is so much to do as others before me have stated that surely you can steer your plans away from Main Street if the crowds bother you. Even though I couldn't stop to listen because my kids didn't have the patience for it, it was wonderful to walk by, hear the choir singing and be filled with that special Christmas spirit. I think you'll have a wonderful time...have fun planning your trip!

mousemom
02-20-2007, 11:32 AM
One of the nights we ended up staying on our Splash Mt. boat for 3 ride throughs. The CM said she had never seen it happen before and to consider ourselves lucky. I love going the first week of Dec.
Ditto! Maybe we were there the same night! That was one of my favorite parts of that trip! Can't wait to go on Splash Mtn. again and wish they would hurry up with the refurbishment!