PDA

View Full Version : First Roller Coaster Ride Recommendation?

mamatojade
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
My dd will be 5 when we are at DL. I don't know how she will react to the "real" roller coasters as she has only ever ridden kiddie coasters. Which of the roller coasters at DL or DCA would you recommend that we ride first to test the waters? (Or is there one that is gentler?)

itig
02-18-2007, 10:51 AM
My dd will be 5 when we are at DL. I don't know how she will react to the "real" roller coasters as she has only ever ridden kiddie coasters. Which of the roller coasters at DL or DCA would you recommend that we ride first to test the waters? (Or is there one that is gentler?)

Gadget Coaster in Toontown

futurecm21
02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Gadgets Go Coaster might be a good way to start, but at the same time I wouldn't recomend it. The fact that is located in Toontown will probably help calm you kids a little bit more, but its still more rough than a few other rides I would go with first. I would suggest starting off with either Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, or the Matterhorn. These are just a little bit less rough, which may or may not be a good thing. On one hand you want to go easy on your 5 year old, but on the other hand you might do well to give your kids a rapid introduction into roller coasters, so they nver know what is better. Thats kinda confusing I know, but think about, and it may make sense. If not, I'm an idiot and I appologize.:) Good luck and have fun!!
futurecm21

BraMax
02-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I would start off with the Matterhorn on the right side track. It is a little bit of a slower track with wider turns. It's also not as rough as the left side. My 6 year old was scared to death of roller coasters and came off that one loving it and wanting to try more. In the end I liked Big Thunder the best of the roller coasters. My 4 year old loved them all!

Donald Duck Fan68
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
If I were to rank the DL coasters in terms of most gentle to more intense, it would be as follows:

1. Gadgets Go Coaster
2. Matterhorn (right side a little gentler than left)
3. Big Thunder Mountain railroad (toward the front will be more gentle than toward the back)
4. Space Mountain

In DCA, there's two roller coasters:
1. Muholland Madness
2. California Screamin' (she'll probably be too short to ride this)

If she liked BTMRR, then she should be fine with MM.

TinkerBell26
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I would start on the Matterhorn Fantasyland side. It is a little bit less jerky and smoother. I rode that when I was five and it was great

kuusimo
02-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Just remember that Matterhorn has the snow monster in it. It scared my son half to death because DH forgot and now he does not want to ride any of the roller coasters. Even if you close your eyes, you can still hear it roar.

Pirate Princess
02-18-2007, 01:00 PM
My DS 5 HATES Matterhorn but loves all other rollercoasters at DL. The snow monster scares him and because of the jerks he slides all over the seat and the seatbelt ends up around his chest by the end... making him feel trapped and pushes him down into the nose of the bobsled. We tried this ride when he was 3 and 4.. then again when he was 5 thinking that he would be big enough not to have this happen. I was wrong and appologized to him (he was bummed)

However, BTMRR is his favorite ride. It is super smooth and is really pretty calm. However at the begining there is a dark part with red lights (supposed to look like bat eyes) It is really quick but thought I should make you aware.

virgojmk
02-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Both my kids, Matterhorn was their first taste. Space can be scary just cuz it's in the dark. My oldest at 3.5, didn't like it, and then it was closed for refurb for a couple of visits... My youngest had done Matterhorn and Thunder, with no problem, but didn't get to do Space Mountain(due to the refurb) until last years trip to Disney World, by then she was 7, and absolutely not a problem. Our last trip, buzz, space and california screamin were her favorites, but now she just turned 8.

mamatojade
02-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks everybody! This is great. I wasn't clear in my op and was referring to coasters other then the go-coaster. I think that we will start with BTMRR and then go to the Matterhorn.

If anybody else has anything to add, please do.

Bytebear
02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I think Matterhorn is a better choice because you sit behind her with her sitting between your legs basically, and can give your daughter a hug of confidence and hold her throughout the ride, whereas BTMRR is side by side, and will be harder to confort her. It is a bit rougher, but its nearly 50 years old!

Of course, you may be holding on for dear life as well. Best hug with one arm. :)

Another Dimension
02-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I suggest starting on Gadget's Go Coaster and then Big Thunder.

Just politely ask the 'grouper CM', who asks for the number in your party; if you can ride in the front of each ride.
That way the child can get used to each ride's motions, FX, surprises and track layouts... and still get the mildest experiences on each ride. :)

The Matterhorn may make a child feel safer and more secure though, sitting in your lap and using a tight seatbelt instead of a lapbar.
A lapbar that could ride a bit high on a child, if they are riding right next to an adult.

I feel the Matterhorn is more intense than Thunder is, it's a much rougher ride and has more of an out of control feeling, that might scare a kid more easily.

Have fun!
Disneyland has many good intensity stepladder rides, for all ages and ride preferences! :)

my2girls
02-20-2007, 10:24 AM
My 5 year old daughter loved Gadget Coaster. The line was too long for us at Mattahorn. Splash was closed, which she really wanted to do.

CA my daughter loved Soaring. Her fav ride in both parks. I would not take her on Mullhand Madness in DCA unless you went first to test it out. I found this ride terrifying. I felt like we were going to fly off track and there was nothing holding us on. I would take her on Screaming before MM.

Pirate Princess
02-20-2007, 10:27 AM
. I felt like we were going to fly off track and there was nothing holding us on.
HA HA me too! I held onto the bar with one hand and made sure that my other hand was close enough to grab my sons waist in case we went flying out. Unfortunatly it became one of his favorite rides... so we did it 5 times in a row because there was NO line (at that point I said.. enough is enough!!!) It totally freaked me out.

Susan L
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
So, what if when you get there and she doesn't want to go on any coasters? Just a thought.

mamatojade
02-20-2007, 12:06 PM
So, what if when you get there and she doesn't want to go on any coasters? Just a thought.

Then we don't go. The reason that this came up is that when we were watching the vacation planning DVD and looking at some guidebooks, she pointed at the Thunder Mountain coaster and said that she would want to try that out. I actually didn't think that she would be all that interested, so wanted to see what others would recommend as being a good first start.

Thanks again to everybody who has posted their thoughts.:D

adriennek
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I think your plan to go on Thunder first is a good one - I know my now 8-y/o would endorse it heartily!

As others have mentioned, Matterhorn has Harold who can be intimidating. It's also a rather jerky ride (IMO.) Thunder is mostly open, although there are some tunnels and interior scenes, and she will be able to see and hear much of the ride from outside the ride and from within the queue.

Adrienne

BraMax
02-20-2007, 02:56 PM
I just asked my 6 year old son who when we went to DL 2 weeks ago was deathly afraid of roller coasters which one would he tell someone to go on if they were scared and he said the Matterhorn and just to close your eyes if your scared of monsters.

Micmarie
02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
My 5 year old daughter loved Gadget Coaster. The line was too long for us at Mattahorn. Splash was closed, which she really wanted to do.

CA my daughter loved Soaring. Her fav ride in both parks. I would not take her on Mullhand Madness in DCA unless you went first to test it out. I found this ride terrifying. I felt like we were going to fly off track and there was nothing holding us on. I would take her on Screaming before MM.
I totally agree with you on Mullhand Madness-hated it, but my otherwise "terrified of coasters" 8yr old daughter loved it! She also liked Gadget Coaster(I found it jerky!) I tried to convince her after to try Screaming as it is so smooth but she just wouldn't do it. Indy was her absolute favorite but the dark may scare younger ones.

basketballmom
02-21-2007, 05:08 AM
On our first trip to DL in 2005, my youngest DD was 5 and had never ridden any type of kiddie coaster. We wound up doing the Matterhorn first. It was during the fireworks. When we got off, I asked her if she liked it and she really did not. (i thought--great! she won't want to try anything else!) she looked at me and said, "mom, fast doesn't bother me....it's the loud monster i don't like!" whew! by the end of the four day trip, we had ridden big thunder 9 times (it's all she wanted to ride!) and space mountain 4 times. I would always ride with her on something new and talk her through it. so i guess what i am rambling about is this: after a new ride, wait a few minutes and then ask what she liked or didn't like. BTW, last year we went back and she (then 6) didn't want to ride indy because sisters told her about the big snake. well, i rode on the side by the snake and talked her through it the first time. she was convinced we were helping Indy because he talked to her at the beginning of the ride. we wound up riding that one many times as well.
have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Mickey Balboa
02-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Well.... chances are you want something soft and smooth......... :confused:

I GOT IT!!

Gadgets Go Coaster.

That's probably your best bet, then you could work your way up to Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn... and eventualy:

:~D CALIFORNIA SCREAMING!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!:D

Bolivar
02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
It isn't just Harold, the monster, on Matterhorn. The ride starts with the uphill ride to the top of the mountain and it is in pitch darkness. You are in this darkness for what seems like a long time, likely only 30 seconds but it feels like forever when your holding your scared child, then when you near the top there is a loud growl/scream and two glowing red eyes.

That scared my son and turned him off to riding any other coaster. Some children won't be bothered, others will; hopefully you can judge your child.

Donald Duck Fan68
02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
It isn't just Harold, the monster, on Matterhorn. The ride starts with the uphill ride to the top of the mountain and it is in pitch darkness. You are in this darkness for what seems like a long time, likely only 30 seconds but it feels like forever when your holding your scared child, then when you near the top there is a loud growl/scream and two glowing red eyes.

That scared my son and turned him off to riding any other coaster. Some children won't be bothered, others will; hopefully you can judge your child.

This is what scared our kids the most too. My daughter didn't want to ride anything that contained darkness after that. Even the FL dark rides were difficult to convince her to ride, but she eventually changed her mind on these. On this next trip, she's getting brave again and want to try the rides she was scared of before, including Matterhorn. Now that she knows what to expect, it might not be so bad.

mamatojade
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Well.... chances are you want something soft and smooth......... :confused:

I GOT IT!!

Gadgets Go Coaster.

That's probably your best bet, then you could work your way up to Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn... and eventualy:

:~D CALIFORNIA SCREAMING!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!:D

You are evil. TEEHEE:~D

mamatojade
02-21-2007, 05:00 PM

I don't think that the darkness will stress her out, but the monster might. I will warn her about it beforehand and try to remember to tell her as we are climbing to the top that he is coming.