PDA

View Full Version : What is your Number One Disneyland holiday tip?

Pages : [1] 2

JustMe29
02-17-2007, 01:13 AM
In the last month I've read and re read so many posts here that I wish I had written them all down.

We're going really soon, and I'm worried now that I'll forget everything I've learnt.

If you could share ONE top tip for a fun family trip to DL what would it be?

Thanks

geoffa
02-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Have a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/boulevard/1877/tips.html

Malcon10t
02-17-2007, 06:31 AM
In the last month I've read and re read so many posts here that I wish I had written them all down.

We're going really soon, and I'm worried now that I'll forget everything I've learnt.

If you could share ONE top tip for a fun family trip to DL what would it be?

ThanksTake time to see the little things. Take breaks to see the bands, Billy Hill, and watch the Mark Twain.

Malcon10t
02-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Have a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/boulevard/1877/tips.htmlThere is a lot of outdated info in there.

Leap for Joy
02-17-2007, 07:39 AM
KNOW how to use fastpass and time your ride selections. Really really know it. If you don't feel like an expert after reading advice and posts here, buy RideMax.

I hope you have a great time!!!

disney jones
02-17-2007, 07:57 AM
realize it won't be perfect and don't get frustrated when family members and others have a melt down.

Leap for Joy
02-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Disney Jones reminded me of another one... TAKE NAPS! Really!! The only time we don't take naps is when the park is closing early. It makes each day seem like two days, and it's much easier to enjoy when you're not over-tired.

leota's necklace
02-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Relax, and let the Magic happen.

I've noticed that an unfortunate outcome of Disney's marketing machine is that there is a certain kind of person (not you, of course) who will go to the Park with the expectation of having a perfect, magical vacation handed to them. When something un-magical happens --son has a meltdown in the Bayou, daughter is scared of the characters, fireworks are cancelled, a ride goes 101...these people see their whole scrapbook vacation ruined and get NASTY.

Go with the expectation of having fun with your family, rather than having the Perfect Disney Experience. If you're willing to relax and go with the flow, it's much more likely that spontaneous fun stuff will happen...and that's the stuff the family will remember. Take care of yourself to make sure you don't get overtired and cranky -- take frequent rest breaks, wear sunscreen, drink lots of water. Naps are a godsend. Dont forget to eat. And try not to over-schedule yourself...give yourself time to amble.

Donald Duck Fan68
02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry, I can't think of just one, so here's my top list:

Take advantage of early entry or just get there as early as park opening and get in all the attractions you want while the crowds aren't as bad. Have a runner grab Fastpasses while others stay in a particular location. The runner should be someone who is very familiar with the layout of the park and doesn't need a map to get around.

In Fantasyland, Peter Pan is a very popular ride and the line can get much longer as the day progresses, so ride this early in the morning along with the other FL rides.

Try to eat meals before or after the peak meal times.

Don't be comando-Disney and wear out the group by trying to fit as much in as you can, running around from ride to ride, land to land, etc. Take breaks, plan out your days so that everyone gets at least 1 or 2 top choices, but allow for some spontaniety and time to take in the atmosphere.

Rufus T Firefly
02-17-2007, 01:12 PM
My number one tip is ...

Be patient

rentayenta
02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
My tip: attitude is key. Regardless of crowds, weather, whatever, your attitude will be your greatest asset!

DaddyB
02-17-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree...

HAKUNA MATTATA

Use it as a mantra, escpecially when you see rude, thoughtless, careless, insensitive, blah blah blah... people. My wife used to get SO upset about stuff she saw at the parks (usually not affecting her, just stuff she saw). Now we just say "Hakuna Mattata" and move on. It's much better.

Pirate Princess
02-17-2007, 08:37 PM
GET THERE EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Before the park opens)

This is the biggest thing!!!!!! You will be able to do soooo much within the first hour or two it will make the rest of the day more relaxing. I choose to power through rides in the morning and take it easy for the rest of the day.
First rides should really be Peter Pan followed by Dumbo. I have recieved this advice in the past and it is the most helpful... those lines move soooo slow later in the day.

Also a great tip someone gave me a long time back... Fill up your water bottles at the outside station at Rancho Z. Cold water for free!!! (This will mean more to you when you see the cost of water bottles in the park ($$$ x your party x 3+ per day = Absurd amounts of money on spent on the world's most abundent resource) Walking miles and eating salty food makes you extra thirsty.

How many days are you staying?

Tinkermommy
02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Bring money!:p

Find out what is most important to each person in your party, and make sure all of that gets done. Even though we go often, we always make a mental "must-do" list before we go in.

JustMe29
02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
We have a five day pass. That's a good tip about water I was going to ask about it myself.

Is tap water OK to drink in Anaheim?

snoopyfan
02-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Get there before the park opens and take naps! The water thing depends. I live in Tucson and no one drinks tap water here without it being filtered. I think the water in Anaheim is okay, but get some more opinions. Good luck and have fun!

Pirate Princess
02-18-2007, 09:25 AM
If you have an aversion to tap water... bring those little packets (Crystal Light, Kool-Aide, etc.) to pour in the water bottle.... shake and you are good to go.

geoffa
02-18-2007, 09:33 AM
To previous observations re my first suggestion, despite any nit picks the principles are still the same!
And yes, let the experience flow over you and accept that what happens, happens and what doesn't, doesn't.

mommy-san
02-18-2007, 09:44 AM
The best thing we did was assign everyone in our family a day to pick where we went first thing. Then we stayed in that land until we had exhausted the rides, and then moved on to the next land. It worked really well for us!

Bytebear
02-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Tap water is perfectly safe, and the park has several drinking fountains around the park. It is not cold though and has the typical tap water flavor, so you may be happier with the bottled water that they sell along with bottles of soda. They also allow you to bring in your own bottled water, so buy a 12 pack at Target or the grocery store, and bring in a couple bottles a day. You can always refill them at a drinking fountain, which is what I do.

Koukla
02-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I always collect a *must do* list from whoever I'm with. Most of us have our traditions that we have to do or else the day won't be complete. We also do our Emporium/souvenir shopping at the end of the evening, just before the fireworks, so we find ourselves on Main Street for the fireworks, then go into the theatre before we leave the park. The 50th movie is a great thing to see just before leaving the park--kind of helps us to wind down from the day, too.

Whatever you do, don't sweat the small stuff!
Enjoy your trip! :D

MagicKingdomBoy
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Establish a reunion location in case you lose someone in your party. We always used City Hall. (I don't know where they take lost children these days.)
This might be moot if everyone has a cell phone. But range can sometimes be a problem in DL.

TinkerBell26
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
The best tip I can think of is Relax. Everytime I go to Disneyland someone gets sick, or someone loses there ticket, or someone doesn't get to do what they want to. You have to be calm and open minded. You don't want to spend your vacation being stressed.

josephfive
02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Just remember with a 5-day pass, you will have plenty of time to do and see everything. Last June we went for 5 days. It was hot and crowded, but I knew we would be there all week so I let my kids pick the tops things to do first, to kind of get it out of their system.

Also, one day we did lots of shows -- Aladin, the parades, etc. One day is was so warm, we just did water rides over and over again. I brought a change of clothes and we had such fun memories.

There are so many little things that my family and I enjoy: all the musicians, the Opera House, riding in the Omnibus or Horse Trolley, cookie making, the original Mickey cartoons, etc.

If it's very warm, the First Aid offer cool compresses. My kids love those!!!
Also, they have cold, filtered water. In addition, they will dispense sunscreen among other over the counter medications, such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen.

Opus1guy
02-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Bring money!:p

...and be prepared to have a way to get some more.

:)