PDA

View Full Version : 9:30pm at Napa Rose too late?

Missapsy
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmm, I have a 9:30p.m. reservation at Napa Rose for this Sunday, but now I'm wondering if I should cancel that and wait until next weekend, when I can get an earlier time. I'm not worried about eating late, I just wonder if it's a bad idea to go to Napa Rose so close to their closing time. Will they be out of things (I want to try the prix fixe menu)? Will the staff be tired and in a hurry to go home?

That was the earliest time they had on Sunday, so I assume other guests who booked earlier times around 8:35p and 9p will be there too, but I was curious and thought I'd ask the people who would really know the answers (you guys!)

Thanks <3

TinaMouse
02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
What time does the park/restaurant actually close? If it is an hour or so past your seating time, I think you'll be fine.

You may want to call the restaurant (or the dining reservation line) and ask their opinion. In my experience, restaurants want you to have a wondeful time (translates into repeat visits), so they are usually great about giving suggestions.

Have a great time! Hear it is a wonderful place!

Missapsy
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank you tdelaney_98 for the response! The hours for Napa Rose listed are 5:30 - 10:00. You're right though, if they wanted us out earlier, they could have stop accepting reservations. Sorry, I'm just a worrier sometimes, even over the most trivial things. Like, my husband always drags me into Jamba Juice 10 or 15 min before they are closing, the people have most of the stuff washed, they want to get out, etc..and i feel like they are thinking we are the rudest people ever.

TinaMouse
02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Don't worry! I've been on the other end, as a server in my teen years, and we would shoot daggers at people who came in 10 minutes before. However, we were open until 10:00. That means that if someone comes in at 9:55 and orders a huge 4 course meal, you serve it. That's part of the gig.

I think you should be fine with a 9:30 ressie and 10:00 close. It might be really nice to stroll through an empty DCA after dinner!

MagicKingdomBoy
02-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I've been in the exact situation there -- a late reservation but wanting to eat earlier. Just go in when you want to eat, even if it's 7:00, and tell them you have a res for later but that you wanted to stop in for a drink at the bar, and see if they can fit you in. In my experience, calling won't help you. Being there makes all the difference.

Also, I've always had great serivce by the wait staff, but one server in particular, Wendy, is phenomenal. I'd drop the name and ask if you can sit in her section. If you finesse it a bit, you should be able to sit down to dinner within 20 minutes of arriving.

If the weather's nice, don't miss the patio adjacent to the bar. It's a great place to have a drink and watch the passersby at DCA.

MagicKingdomBoy
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
If you finesse it a bit, you should be able to sit down to dinner within 20 minutes of arriving. I just wanted to add, obviously, I was bit confident there. I didn't want to make it sound like it's a sure thing. But I've have good luck with that approach. :)

KarenW2
02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Napa Rose is our favorite restaurant at the DLR. We especially enjoy it when we're seated at the Chef's Counter, where we can watch the "show" in the exhibition kitchen and interact with the chefs.

My hubby always gets the Vintner's Menu and I always order my courses separately, since I need to make other choices than what's offered in the price fixed meal.

The usual amount of time we spend there for the meal comes in at about 2 hours, so I think you'd probably want to wait til you can get an earlier reservation, so you can take your time and enjoy yourselves there. You might even want to get your ressie for the counter, if you're interested in cooking, want a little adventure with your meal and enjoy a little better level of service than what you get at a regular table.

Mr.Abominable
02-17-2007, 01:18 AM
We have eaten there several times, including at the Chef table and it is always outstanding. One thing that i have noticed, it is always difficult to get a reservation when you want it but it is never been full when I was there. Granted, I usually eat later, 8 ish, but even when I am there around six it does not seem very full.

geoffa
02-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Napa Rose is the best! If you have a 9.30 reservation you will receive the same standard of service, the selection of food and the great attention that you would if you were booked for 7p.m . In Europe we tend to eat later than our American cousins so prefer later sittings. Is Michael, the sommelier, is so knowledgable about his wines - he makes the evening a great pleasure.

Missapsy
02-17-2007, 11:38 PM
thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. i'm thrilled to be going there for the first time, and i'd like it to be a bit leisurely, so maybe i'll try what you have said and just get there early and see what they say :) hoping it's still warm enough to sit on the patio!