PDA

View Full Version : Who's Got FastPass Strategies?

ladodgerjon
02-15-2007, 11:21 AM
In reading the boards, I get the idea that some of you have strategies for maximizing the FASTPASS system.

Is that true? IS it possible to "make the system work to your advantage"?

I'd love to know...

The old man
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
In reading the boards, I get the idea that some of you have strategies for maximizing the FASTPASS system.

I'd love to know...
It's top secret.

DisneyDustin22
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
if you REALLY know how to utilize Fastpass you can even use it to get a tax refund! :p

just beatla33
02-15-2007, 11:33 AM
all I know is get a fastpass for the rides y ou want, I know a lot of people that get them just because. And though theres a time frame to get another fastpass, you can get a Roger Rabbit fastpass at anytime even if your first fastpass says you can't for another hour or two, not many know about that one. And you don't have to use them in the time given, like I get a space mountain one at like 2pm but don't ride it till like 10 11 at night

Mickeygirlforever
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Get the big rides fastpasses as soon as you get there. Lines are shorter earlier. Also, check the pass. Sometimes it'll say that you can get another one earlier than the time that is on your pass.

canadianmom
02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
A piece of fastpass advise I will share is when you are standing at a machine, check those tickets that are left on the top of the machines. Last year we found a number of fast pass tickets sitting on there and the kids were able to ride a number of rides over and over again using the fastpass line!

Mark Mywords
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Constantly be aware of what fastpasses you are holding, if you are near a disconnected FP attraction (I think Roger Rabbit and GRR are the only ones right now), grab a FP. You should never be walking around without at least one set of Fastpasses. Designate a runner that can easily navigate the park and quickly retrieve Fastpasses while the rest of the party does other things (resting, bathroom, attractions that not everybody wants to go on).

I mean, don't stress yourself out about it, but if you get into the habit of thinking about how many FPs you're holding and when you can grab a new one as you walk around the park you can really maximize your time in the park.

Bytebear
02-15-2007, 12:59 PM
If you get a fast pass early, the start time will usually be very soon, within an hour, (sometimes 20 minutes). Do not feel forced to go at that time. Instead get a second pass for something else. You can collect passes all morning, and then use them all in the afternoon (while still getting even more passes).

BIGGEST TIP: The END time means nothing!

ghoofie
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
The only set thing we usually do is : Go to Space, get FP for later.
Wander over to NO area. Maybe catch HM and Pirates. Within a short time
we can usually get a second FP. So we grab one for IJA. After that,
anything goes.

charpaul
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
ALSO remember that IF you are park hopping, you can have FastPasses for both parks at the same time!!

Once you have entered one park, you can send a runner to the other park to get two FastPasses over there - in addition to the FastPasses you have for the first park. The two parks are on separate systems. In DL the only attraction on a separate system is RogerRabbit in ToonTown. In DCA - Grizzly River Rapids is also on a separate system.

SO - (for example) - you could have a FastPass for: Space Mtn., Roger Rabbit, Grizzly, and Soarin' all at the same time!!!!

Make sure you check your return time AND your time at the bottom of the FastPass that tells you when you are eliglible for your next pass. Like other posters have said - GO EARLY and collect passes in the morning when the lines/times are still short. Go on some of those attractions AND get a FastPass for the same attraction later in the day. Try to keep collecting your FastPasses until you have covered all the atttractions you want for the day. Then you can enjoy the evening by using all your passes and not waiting so long in line.

Darkbeer
02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Here is a recent article about how to maximize Fastpass here at MousePlanet.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?pg=fastpass

I need to get it updated, such as there is no Enhanced Fastpasses being offered in 2007.

RockDoc07
02-15-2007, 07:55 PM
The big key is that if you get them early enough, the return time will be sooner than the normal 2 hour window you have to wait to get your next one. So if your return time is only half an hour from now for splash, you can go get Buzz in half an hour rather than having to wait for 2 hours.

The one piece of advice along those lines though is this: Before you swipe your card for a ride, especially if it is getting late in the morning or the early afternoon, CHECK the time on the fastpass board. Otherwise you might stick your card in at noon to get a fastpass for Indiana Jones and not only will you not be able to ride it until 11:00 at night, you'll have to wait until 2pm to get your next fastpass!

Hope this helps

Cool Runnings
Doc

Pat-n-Eil
02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Since the current demise of the enhanced fastpasses, my strategy is to incorporate much of what people have said here..

• Go early, get FastPasses for attractions like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones etc. when the return times are short. Get the FastPass but don't use it for your first ride. The queues are short in the morning. Sometimes 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

• Later in the day, remember that the rule is either wait until the return time OR 2 hours. So even if you get a FastPass for say Splash Mountain at noon and it says come back at 5:00pm, you only have to wait until 2:00 pm to get your next fastpass.

• DCA. Soarin' Over California = Fastpass. Other attractions aren't generally too bad. This is, of course, subject to the day - but One of the rides that can have a long queue is Grizzly River Run on a hot day.. If I'm not mistaken, this attraction is disconnected from the rest of the FastPasses. It's return time is on its own.

• Ridemax.com can really help you get the most out of your day. It utilizes the FastPass in conjunction with the rest of its calculations, so you don't have to worry about getting fastpasses all the time, stick to the Ridemax schedule and you should be able to do all you want to do in a day.

Lastly - don't fret. If you're worried about any particular attraction, just go early and get a pass for it. Then use it anytime that day after the printed return time. Enjoy Disneyland for all it offers and check out all of the other attractions offered too. Golden Horseshoe shows, mainstreet performers, shops & restaurants.. Enjoy your day.

Malcon10t
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
My strategy? Look at those in the fastpass line with envy as we head to the handicap accessible line at Space Mountain. One of these days they will figure out a way to combine the two...

IdahoMike
02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I would also add, depending on the size of your group, and who wants to go on which attractions, utilize single rider lines when possible. I use it for CA Screamin' all the time because no one else in my family wants to ride it, or is tall enough. Saves a ton of time, plus I don't have to use a fastpass for it! Not every big ride utilizes single rider, but it sure works nicely on the ones that do.
Parent swap is the other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't believe. If you have small children, 1 parent & child wait in line (or use fastpass), and when you get to the CM, ask them for a parent swap pass, and then your spouse and other child can go on the ride when you are finished without having to wait in the long queue. Works great for us on all the big rides.
All of this in addition to making the most of FP as others have said, get there early, get one of the big 3 (Space, Splash, or Indy), and as soon as your window is open, get another. You can rack up a lot of FP's in the morning if you do it right. For those of you that like to sleep in, well, you're gonna have to be content with what is available when you arrive at the park. Also, utilize the Roger Rabbit and Grizzly loopholes. We usually always hold an additional FP for those rides.

Quinten27
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
The real trick to taking advantage of fastpass is to buy an extra 10 admission tickets per person, that way you can get all the fastpasses you'll need! :fez:

Donald Duck Fan68
02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Most of the stategies I use have already been listed. I never use my fastpasses that I collect in the morning hours till after we get back into the park in the evening. Also, have one person hold onto the tickets for all in the group and s/he becomes the fastpass runner, keeping track of when the next available time to collect more passes, etc. It also cuts down on the amount of people going into the FP ticket booths so that they move a little faster. I always grab a Space or Indy first, then Splash, and then whatever after that. If I know that it's just going to be DW and me using them at night while Grandma stays with the 2 kids, I'll still use my kids' tickets to get FP to allow multiple rides.

Rapunzelthorn
02-16-2007, 05:08 PM
How do the CMs react when you use a fast pass in the late afternoon or evening that has an end time from early that morning? Do they give you any grief about it? :confused:

SeansMom
02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
How do the CMs react when you use a fast pass in the late afternoon or evening that has an end time from early that morning? Do they give you any grief about it? :confused:

Usually they don't say a word, although I have had them give me a "look" once or twice. If it bothers YOU, the option to go in the timeframe stated is always there.

Bytebear
02-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I have never gotten even a look by a CM. It is just standard practice. But, they will make you stand and wait, even if you are just 2 minutes early.

CindyR
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Actually once before on Space Mountian, when the guy took my fast pass which was for that morning, at around 10 pm, he murmured something like "It's a bit late..." It was kind of rude. I've never had anyone else say anything though, I think he was just being a jerk.

Leap for Joy
02-17-2007, 07:54 AM
I want to emphasize this because I find it's often missed:

• Later in the day, remember that the rule is either wait until the return time OR 2 hours. So even if you get a FastPass for say Splash Mountain at noon and it says come back at 5:00pm, you only have to wait until 2:00 pm to get your next fastpass.

The exact time you can pick up your next fastpass is printed in very small print at the bottom of the fastpass ticket.

Last time we were in DL we found a recurrent misconception about fastpass. You don't have to use your fastpass before getting another one! The system has no way to know whether you've used yours, they don't keep track of it, so stack them up at will!

The old man
02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Actually once before on Space Mountian, when the guy took my fast pass which was for that morning, at around 10 pm, he murmured something like "It's a bit late..." It was kind of rude. I've never had anyone else say anything though, I think he was just being a jerk.
Seems like he was just stating a fact.

Leofoenget
02-17-2007, 04:45 PM

I'd love to know...

"on a different message board" Hydroguy has a whole huge post about how to maxamize your fastpass collection. Basically, as soon as another FP becomes avaliable, you snag one. (At the bottom of the ticket, it will tell you when another FP is avaliable) I think the biggest tip would be that you do NOT have to 'use it or lose it" by the return time, but you basically have until the end of the day to use it. So if you were to snag one for Space at 9am with a 10am return time, you really have until park close to use it, which allows you to keep collecting them. Plus Roger Rabbit is not in the system so you can snag one for that ride anytime.

jan