PDA

View Full Version : What in the world? Painting on the bridge just as you enter Main Street

Pages : [1] 2

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I was just looking at Disney geek's photos from his 2/9 update and saw a photo, well it is the 2nd one down on this page, hope it is ok to link to this:
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_update.php?page_id=2&update_dir=2007_02_09
The swirly pastel colored paint just as you go under the bridge near the "here you enter the" sign. It looks terribly tacky!

Gurnsey
02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes... it's not exactly paint; those are the Year of a Million Dreams "swirls". Here's a closer picture:

http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199321-M.jpg

I agree, very tacky. :(

(I took the link from the "post your disneyland photo updates" topic... Chrisaustx originally posted it :p )

Bytebear
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
You think that's bad? Wait until you see the "swans".

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes... it's not exactly paint; those are the Year of a Million Dreams "swirls". Here's a closer picture:

http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199321-M.jpg

I agree, very tacky. :(

(I took the link from the "post your disneyland photo updates" topic... Chrisaustx originally posted it :p )

The sign is naustalgic (sp?) and those swirls, ICK!

Gurnsey
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, I've seen the "swans." Yeeeahhhh....I ignore them.

Overall, it's not a huge issue; DL is still so amazing. It's just too bad that these sort of things are so eye-catching; since almost everything is beautiful, even kinda tacky things stand out.

Another Dimension
02-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Just maybe, someone, somewhere, really does dream of tacky! :eek:

:~D

nvmom
02-14-2007, 06:53 AM
I just got home from Disneyland 2 days ago. I really didn't think the swirls or the swans were that bad. :)

nvmom

stan4d_steph
02-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Have they gotten to the monorail at DL yet? They added those swirls to all of the monorails at WDW, even when it totally clashes with the coloring on the monorail.

MagicKingdomBoy
02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
I think it looks gaudy, but I also disliked the cheapy looking plastic crookedly-mounted goldish colored 50th Anniversary stuff they put on the gas lamps along Main St. and am glad they're gone. I'm probably just hypercritical.
But for some the millions that approach that bridge and see that for the first time, it'll be a Year of a Million Screams.
(Just kidding. The phrase entered my mind, and I wanted to use it somewhere.)
:)

Park Freak
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Year of a Million Screams.

I like it!!!
Now I want to use it somewhere!!!

Disney Vault
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
The one year of a million dreams decoration I like is how they did the lamp posts on mainstreet. And the flowers are so great. I hope they never get rid of the hanging baskets.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Showpic.asp?filename=http://www.laughingplace.com/lp/lotion/pics/SS20070213-DLAround/big/P06-0001.JPG&caption=

yohomama212
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I like the swirls and the swans and the banners and the whole package! Not sure where everyone is getting "tacky" from... I think it's all just a bit more feminine than we're used to seeing at DL. I've been seeing a lot of pastels and curls in decorating themes lately and I think it all goes great with the Dream theme!

Liz :cool:

Doodle Duck
02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Grafitti.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I like the swirls and the swans and the banners and the whole package! Not sure where everyone is getting "tacky" from... I think it's all just a bit more feminine than we're used to seeing at DL. I've been seeing a lot of pastels and curls in decorating themes lately and I think it all goes great with the Dream theme!

There is the bridge, been there forever, with a sign, that has a rustic flare to it, then you have modern pastel swirls, not sure how the 2 go together. They could move the swirls to the other side of the bridge.

I do like the hanging baskets.

yohomama212
02-15-2007, 09:30 AM
I think they're getting more attention than they're worth here. A few pieces of metal decoration up in the park for maybe one year and at this point the discussion on them is going to last longer than most people's memory of them. What is it about happy places that makes people want to whine and nitpick?

Tink
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Are we absolutely sure that these are YOMD decorations? It seems a little late to be putting up decorations for something that began months ago....

When I first noticed the swans earlier this month, I felt that they were perhaps for some other promotion, never did it occur to me that it was for the YOMD celebration.

Maybe it's just the way my mind thinks but I thought they may have been subliminally promoting all the new fairy merchandise and movies and such. I have been to the Disney Fairies web site and there are a lot of pastel-colored scrolly, swirlly looking things associated with the fairies.

When I was at the park yesterday I noticed even more swirly scrolls. To have it installed in stages, so slowly is really odd to me. Normally everything goes up pretty quick.

PS. I absolutley love love love the hanging baskets! I told my daughter I was going to snatch one off of the post and sneak it out the gates. I had to go up and touch one of them...:cool:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I think they're getting more attention than they're worth here. A few pieces of metal decoration up in the park for maybe one year and at this point the discussion on them is going to last longer than most people's memory of them. What is it about happy places that makes people want to whine and nitpick?

Freedom of speech. Whine and nitpick. Please. :rolleyes:

danyoung
02-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Not sure where everyone is getting "tacky" from...

I don't have a problem with the idea of wanting to spruce up the look of the bridges. But the implementation that they did is indeed tacky to me. It looks cheap, it looks stuck on, it doesn't begin to match the dignity of the bridges with their elegant brass signage that has always meant so much to me. It's like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa - no matter how nice you paint it, it just ain't gonna fit in (not that the bridges are artwork comparable to the Mona Lisa, but you get my drift . . .).

smd4
02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't have a problem with the idea of wanting to spruce up the look of the bridges. But the implementation that they did is indeed tacky to me. It looks cheap, it looks stuck on, it doesn't begin to match the dignity of the bridges with their elegant brass signage that has always meant so much to me.Wonder what folks thought when the brass plaques were first installed? (They were installed several years after Walt's death. He never saw them...).

DaddyB
02-19-2007, 07:27 PM
I have some pretty decent pictures of the swirls at the tunnels into Main Street USA as well as the swirls next to the floral Mickey in front of the Train Station (with the Tinkerbell silhouette!) and finally the swirly swans at the castle in my previous update:
http://www.visionsfantastic.org/daddyb/2007_02_07_Update/02_07_Update.htm

I have a couple of really good shots of the YOMD decorations on the lightposts of Main Street in my most current photo update:
http://www.visionsfantastic.org/daddyb/2007_02_18_Update/02_18_Update.htm

I too HATED the gold colored plastic flower pots used for the 50th. I really liked the gold Tinkerbells and pixie dust of the 50th golden lamposts, so I'm not too bothered by the new YOMD decorations on them now. I like the little plastic castles inside each lamp, too.

Read my latest photo update as well, for the recurring theme of the silhouettes in the flags, lamposts, and castle banners in the YOMD decorations.

GOD only knows what the swirls are supposed to mean. I find it fascinating that they're STILL trying to throw some sort of cohesive in-park marketing campaign for this Year Of A Million Dreams.

Heaven Is Disneyland
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Ok, I have been looking at the park update pictures and being highly entertianed. I have truly found "my people" here! I just think all of this is so FASCINATING!

Anyway, I must agree, I do not like the swirlies up above the tunnel and I hate the swans. I like the silhouettes on the banners, though. I think the pink color they are using is too bright. I do agree, they should of used some sort of brass decorations for the tunnels, what is up there now, it really stands out but not in a good way.

danyoung
02-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Wonder what folks thought when the brass plaques were first installed? (They were installed several years after Walt's death. He never saw them...).

How sure are you of this fact? I don't have the time to pull out any old guide books or videos, but I was sure that those plaques have been there much earlier than 1966. As always, I could be wrong . . .

smd4
02-20-2007, 04:52 AM
How sure are you of this fact? I don't have the time to pull out any old guide books or videos, but I was sure that those plaques have been there much earlier than 1966. As always, I could be wrong . . .Pretty sure:

Photo dated March, 1968:

http://davelandweb.com/mainstreet/images/KTPBKYC_3_68_N20.jpg

danyoung
02-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Most interesting. Thanks for the follow-up, Steve.

newhdplayer
02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
You know, looking at that picture, you'll have to agree that the blue and white awning looks pretty tacky, too.