PDA

View Full Version : No room at the inn (almost)... what's going on 2/19-2/25?

Pages : [1] 2

itig
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
We are being completely spontaneous and planning a trip to DL next week. Avoiding the parks on President's Day, but arriving that day. Most/many of the hotels are booked solid and it seems that the "trouble dates" are the 22nd-24th.

I saw that there is a Golf Convention in town, but that can't possibly be the only reason...although, I don't golf, so I could be completely underestimating the magnitude of the industry.

In other troubling news... ;)

My wife was able to get a room at the Desert Inn Suites, but that puzzles me. I have never stayed there and am a bit concerned as to why they aren't full given their proximity to the land of the mouse. Also, the rate was high based on what I've seen others pay (139.00 p/night - parlor suite).

Anyone have any thoughts on this scenario? Is this place frightening? I've read the reviews (pool and breakfast are scary...BYOCereal), but more concerned with safety and cleanliness. We only have one car, so parking a second is not an issue.

Alrighty, 'nuf of my ramblings. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer. Oh...and can someone with connections please get them to open Splash Mountain for me...BUMMED!!!! :crying:

adriennek
02-13-2007, 03:18 PM
My wife was able to get a room at the Desert Inn Suites, but that puzzles me. I have never stayed there and am a bit concerned as to why they aren't full given their proximity to the land of the mouse. Also, the rate was high based on what I've seen others pay (139.00 p/night - parlor suite).

Anyone have any thoughts on this scenario? Is this place frightening? I've read the reviews (pool and breakfast are scary...BYOCereal), but more concerned with safety and cleanliness. We only have one car, so parking a second is not an issue.

The Desert Inn & Suites on Harbor?

The rooms are clean and decent sized. How many are in your party? If it's the room I'm thinking of, the Parlor Suite is a real suite - with a divider wall and a door and everything. Not just a "big room". The entry room has a sofa couch and a TV. The back room has beds, microwave, bathroom, etc.

Safety and cleanliness are not issues, in my experience, with this hotel.

Adrienne

itig
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey Adrienne, Thanks for the response. Yes, it's the one right across the street from the entrance.

shanbri
02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Up in Northern California we have the whole week off of school .They call it ski week. Maybe more schools have it off and that's why everything is booked.

Shannon

adriennek
02-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey Adrienne, Thanks for the response. Yes, it's the one right across the street from the entrance.

My middle son's godmother never stays anywhere else. I've introduced a few other people who have given it very positive reviews, aside from the aforementioned issues. The staff has always been friendly when I've been there. I confess I've never stayed overnight myself, but I've visited in a few rooms ;)

Adrienne

samkj
02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
The golf convention is expecting 20,000+ people I believe, so that is A LOT of hotel rooms. I have friends that were going to meet us at DL next week, but they couldn't find a room. We are happy to stay across the street at any of those hotels, but they like the more upscale(Residence Inn or Embassy Suites) suite hotels.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
We ran into the same problem the weekend of March 10th (the Tropicana was the only hotel with rooms and they are much higher than the normal price), we're going to brave it, beginning of the spring break season, Basketball tournament, The California teacher's association, fingers crossed it will only be slightly insane :).

Malcon10t
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree with Adrienne. We have stayed there several times and really like it. The "Parlor Suite" is a nice room. It has a small room in front with a sofa bed. The back room is large with 2 queens. Issues would be the sofa when folded out takes up 90% of the front room, and if you have small children and use this room for them, you can't run out to get a soda after they are in bed without climbing over them. And if they are small, they could exit without your knowledge. That said, I really do like the place. But if I had small children, I wouldn't get a parlor suite.

ETA - Safety and cleanliness were never an issue. The staff was very friendly. The "free" breakfast is worth every cent... Nothing! We only went once, not worth the walk, especially since we prefer proteins not carbs for breakfast.

tlovesdis
02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
My niece goes to school in the Sacramento area and she if off track almost the whole month of February. That might contribute as well!

virgojmk
02-14-2007, 06:08 AM
We just stayed there Jan 30th-Feb 3rd and had no problems.
All of the school districts that I know of around here are off next week for "mid winter break". We are the Milpitas/San Jose area.

adriennek
02-14-2007, 06:20 AM
There's a huge convention the first weekend of March, too.

Adrienne

stan4d_steph
02-14-2007, 07:21 AM
The observation of George Washington's birthday is on Feb. 19; it is a Federal holiday. Many people are off of work that day. A lot of schools are given the whole week off, calling it "President's Week."

itig
02-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the great information! I'm not a big fan of crowds at DL, but we're going anyway and plan on having a great time, no matter how busy it is.

Thanks also to all who responded regarding the Desert Inn. I think the convenience of the location coupled with 3 little ones will work well for us. We have usually stayed down the road a bit in Garden Grove and parked in the structure. As any of you who have kiddies still in strollers know, the parking garage/tram ride boogie can be tough and time consuming. We talked about it last night and we are really looking forward to not having to pack the car with everything and just be able to walk across the street and into the park.

Any word on getting Splash opened up for me ;) It's my absolute favorite ride and I was hoping to take my oldest son on it for the first time...oh well, I guess we'll just have to plan another trip :)

SDMom
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh man, we are going 20/21 and were hoping for light crowds. I just saw on weather.com that it may rain all week, maybe that will keep the locals home.

Melaniee
02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
We were planning on a peaceful visit on the 21st. I'm so sad to hear about all the school closures and the convention! Thanks for posting this, though. At least we'll save our money for another trip another day when we can enjoy it more.

Malcon10t
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
We were planning on a peaceful visit on the 21st. I'm so sad to hear about all the school closures and the convention! Thanks for posting this, though. At least we'll save our money for another trip another day when we can enjoy it more.There are conventions every day down there just about. As for school closures, many schools go off track this week, some go off next week. Many mountain area schools have "Ski Week", but not all go skiing. I would be interested in hearing from people next week just how crowded it is. Since the hotels are booked up, it will probably be fun!

Goosegirl
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
No Fair! We are up in the mountains and only get the 19th off! WAHHHH!!!!!

spectromen
02-15-2007, 07:11 AM
You know, it really seems like Spring Break has turned into February 17-April 30th these days! Oy :rolleyes:

amyjsnell
02-15-2007, 07:42 AM
According to The Unofficial Guide, Disneyland is always very crowded during President's Week. And to boot, Disney doesn't seem to account for the potential crowds due to the school closures and ramp up its ride and show schedules. So anyone daring to visit next week should expect long lines, crowds, and a slow-season show schedule (i.e., very few shows or parades to draw off crowds). :(

itig
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I'll check in if I can, but not sure if I'll have internet access.

Maybe I should start a new thread:

Please help a "low-crowder" enjoy the park when it's slammed! :p

There are conventions every day down there just about. As for school closures, many schools go off track this week, some go off next week. Many mountain area schools have "Ski Week", but not all go skiing. I would be interested in hearing from people next week just how crowded it is. Since the hotels are booked up, it will probably be fun!

nickapoohiluvu
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Not just the ski week/school closures/President's Day Week stuff in California but all Tucson, Arizona schools have a 4 day weekend as well for Rodeo Days. Many people skip the Rodeo and Drive to Disneyland. We were going to as well but the train was down and AP Rates came up so we went Feb 1-4 instead.

SDMom
02-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Ok, well at least we know to prepare for crowds, we will bring patience and hope for the best. At least the prediction of rain has moved to later in the week.

Leap for Joy
02-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Staying so close to the parks will revolutionize the way you do DL, especially with kids! You'll never want to stay outside of walking distance again.

Lots of good feedback about Desert Inn so far. I'll just add that you shouldn't plan to use the indoor pool. It might be OK, it might not. Sometimes it looks really unclean and/or over-chlorinated.

itig
02-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Staying so close to the parks will revolutionize the way you do DL, especially with kids! You'll never want to stay outside of walking distance again.

Lots of good feedback about Desert Inn so far. I'll just add that you shouldn't plan to use the indoor pool. It might be OK, it might not. Sometimes it looks really unclean and/or over-chlorinated.

We are actually excited about being within walking distance. The thought of doing the parking garage and tram with 3 little ones makes me tired just thinking about it :)

Weather is looking sunny, which could be good and bad. Probably even more crowded, but won't have to deal with a stroller and infant in the rain. We've decided to just go with the flow and enjoy being in the park. We have several days, so we should be able to ride everything we want.

Desert Inn - Yes, it's sounding pretty good. I don't think we're going to bother with the food or the breakfast :p

Canadiana Jones
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I think people are getting a little too spoiled in the new millenium. The breakfast is not that bad. Toast, Danish, Fruit, and some juice or coffee is more than enough to get a person through at least the first couple hours in the park. Carb haters, you will walk it off by noon! Anyway, the Desert Inn was a great place to stay (10 nights last June/July). With kids, you will be thanking your lucky stars for the proximity to the park. Tip the maids well and even give them a gift and your service will be exceptional. Also, my family used the pool and we left unscathed. Every time we had to leave the pool my little niece went histerical because she was having so much fun. Finally, since splash is down you could try the poor man's version at Knott's Berry Farm. Good luck and have fun!