PDA

View Full Version : California Screamin'

Gregmh48
05-30-2001, 04:43 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the wooden support themeing on California Screamin' completely stops in several places and allows guests to see that it is actually a steel coaster? The places I am thinking of are the bunny hops and braking zone. I think that the piece of track connecting the launch area to the hill isn't themed as well. Also, anyone else notice that the music gets louder the farther back in the train that you sit? I want to sit in the front, but the music volume is so low that the wind is louder than it! Another thing that bothers me is the abrupt track color change at the end of the launch. The piece of track connecting the launch zone to the hill changes colors from blue (as it is at the beginning of the ride) to white (as it is for the rest of the ride). Couldn't it have been painted inside the scream tube so that the guest doesn't see the change?

Napsto
05-30-2001, 05:27 PM
sorry, it has never bothered me at all

Tink
05-30-2001, 06:29 PM
Ooh you may be using too critical an eye... Frankly I don't even recall any music the fews times that I rode it.

Here's a suggestion, try riding with your eyes closed then you could concentrate more on the music and less on the offensive steel track and color changes.;)

dgthx
05-30-2001, 08:29 PM
I agree that they could turn the volume of the music up.

RedSquirrel
05-31-2001, 02:25 AM
I didnt notice that stuff, but too be honest it doesnt bother me anyway.

Regarding the muisc, we always tried to get nearer the back as possible (since its the fastast) so the music always sounded loudish anyway..

DisLee
06-01-2001, 04:13 PM
What bothers me is that Disney would build a common coaster at all. It also bothers me that some people state that it's one of their favorite rides in all of the Disneyland Resort. Geez! And that the want Rockin RollerCoaster next at DCA.

With this kind of mentality I guess Disney can just forget the theming, get rid of Imagineering, and turn DCA into a common coaster park ala Magic Mountain. I suppose they're halfway there already.

Gregmh48
06-01-2001, 05:19 PM
I actually wouldn't mind having Rock n' Roller Coaster at the resort because, although I've never been to WDW, it's supposed to be themed well. Although the ride is in near darkness, the queue and story is supposed to be really good. It wouldn't be any worse than having Space Mountain in Disneyland.

CoasterMatt
06-02-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DisLee
What bothers me is that Disney would build a common coaster at all. It also bothers me that some people state that it's one of their favorite rides in all of the Disneyland Resort. Geez! And that the want Rockin RollerCoaster next at DCA.

With this kind of mentality I guess Disney can just forget the theming, get rid of Imagineering, and turn DCA into a common coaster park ala Magic Mountain. I suppose they're halfway there already.

What about the big ole "common coaster" they put smack dab in the middle of Disneyland in 1959?

;)

Coaster Matt
Who remembers looking at the Matterhorn and thinking "the top looks kind of neat, but what's up with all that stuff down below"

DisLee
06-02-2001, 07:38 PM
What about the big ole "common coaster" they put smack dab in the middle of Disneyland in 1959?

The Matterhorn a "common coaster"??? Surely you jest. The Matterhorn is about as "uncommon" a coaster as you can get and is my idea of what a greatly themed coaster should be.

CoasterMatt
06-02-2001, 10:06 PM
When I referred to Matterhorn as a "common coaster", I am referring to the fact that in 1959, it didn't have all the theming it has at this time, I wasn't downplaying any historic signifigance it may have. Last I checked, a 5000+ ft. long launched looping coaster with an onboard audio system only exists at DCA, which IMHO makes California Screamin' an uncommon, if not particularly well themed, coaster.

DisLee
06-04-2001, 04:30 PM
I think you are much more of a coaster aficionado than am I. By "common coaster" I just meant that it looks like a coaster that you would find at any Tom-Dick-and-Harry amusement park. I was able to talk to the lead Imagineer for Paradise Pier a couple of years ago and I think he used the term “off the rack” for the commonness of these attractions. He was trying to defend the attractions that they were planning at the time but as he talked I could tell he was frustrated by the mandates that upper mangement had put him under. Too bad for him then and too bad for us all now.

WizKidRyan
06-04-2001, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
When I referred to Matterhorn as a "common coaster", I am referring to the fact that in 1959, it didn't have all the theming it has at this time, I wasn't downplaying any historic signifigance it may have. Last I checked, a 5000+ ft. long launched looping coaster with an onboard audio system only exists at DCA, which IMHO makes California Screamin' an uncommon, if not particularly well themed, coaster.

From my understanding it is the second launched looping coaster with onboard sound. The first being Disneyland Paris's Space Mountain :)

Gregmh48
06-04-2001, 07:36 PM
Screamin' is the thrid. The second one was Rock n' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Florida.

CoasterMatt
06-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Notice, I mentioned the 5000+ ft. length of California Screamin' as well, not just that it's a launched looping coaster with onboard audio

AgentLaRue
06-04-2001, 08:07 PM
Screamin' is themed: it's a modern steel coaster that looks like a wooden one, built onto the side of a pier. Plus, you need to take into account that theming of rides impairs the ability to make them long and thrilling. All of the Disneyland coasters, no matter what you think of them, are contained in tight spaces, have limited speed and thrills, and all because of the need to contain the attraction within the theme.
I, for one, enjoyed Screamin' immensely, thought the music was great, loved the launch from the waterside, etc. Any effort to further theme Screamin' (such as a structure ala ROR) would have resulted in massive reductions in length, speed and height. In my view, it's just fine for Disney to have something resembling a standard "thrill" ride, an area I think they should continue to develop in the future.

And as for the point of the original post, I didn't notice this (although I don't question its true) and cannot envision the area as one that seemed out of character. I was probably having too much fun to worry about it.:cool:

Gregmh48
06-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Maybe I'm a little too critical about Screamin' :) Although the themeing is missing, I do agree that it is a great ride, the best in Disney's California Adventure, that could have been even greater if it was themed as well as the mountain range in Disneyland.

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by dgthx
I agree that they could turn the volume of the music up.

Funny you should mention that. I usually sit in the front of Screamin' just so I don't have to hear the music. It's really pretty bad, especially compared to the cool Space Mountain music (which I could take or leave anyway). Screamin' is okay, but it doesn't make my top 5 attractions list for DCA.

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 08:22 AM
The coaster is fun.

Don't like it - don't ride it.

DCA isn't Disneyland. Get over it and enjoy the park for what it is.(or don't enjoy it...and don't go) I like DCA...not because it's like disneyland - or unlike disneyland - or like/unlike any other amusement park.

We go - we have fun - end of story.

Does that sound grouchy?:D

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

Just a tad. :) As an AP, I am able to enjoy DCA for "what it is". I don't see how an average guest could do the same, considering the price differential (or lack thereof) between DL and DCA, but then it's just the endless cycle of DCA vs. DL debates that I don't particularly care for, especially now that my AP renders it all moot. So there. :D

MonorailMan
02-07-2002, 04:05 PM
I personally Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on thoes restraints! :)

(Translation: Can't Wait To Ride) :D

LIMANDL4EVA
02-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
The coaster is fun.

Don't like it - don't ride it.

DCA isn't Disneyland. Get over it and enjoy the park for what it is.(or don't enjoy it...and don't go) I like DCA...not because it's like disneyland - or unlike disneyland - or like/unlike any other amusement park.

We go - we have fun - end of story.

actually that was VERY wel put to get the point across, DCA will never be Disneyland, neither will anything else be DISNEYLAND, DCA isnt all that bad, period. sure its got its problems but what park doesnt?(that was retorical) so give it a break, as i remember disneyland opened to horrible reviews and almost had to be shut down the first year of operation due to low attendance, so give DCA a break will ya?

DisneyFiend
02-07-2002, 07:32 PM
yeah, give DCA a break.