PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Tiki Room Event - March 31, 2007

Opus1guy
02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
FYI...just noticed the following and couldn't find it posted here, so...

There's a special event scheduled at the Holiday Inn in Anaheim on March 31st, to celebrate the release of a 4 DVD set on the history of the Tiki Rooms (but mainly Disneyland's). Features guest Disney Legend speakers, Imagineers, artists, and historians, and some other stuff.

More info at:

http://the-magic-makers.com/tiki.html

:)

ladodgerjon
02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
FOUR dvd's? Man, that seems like a LOT for ONE attraction. Even the best of the Disney DVD collections is never more than two discs (think: "Your Host, Walt Disney," etc).

If it is, indeed, a four disc collection, I would assume that it was compiled by a fan (and NOT WDP), and not edited (or LOOSELY assembled with a modicum of cutting). I'd guess endless hours of 8mm construction/ testing sequences... and NO "story."

Bytebear
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
it looks from the flyer that the 4 pack includes:

* "Disneyland Tiki Room Story"
* "Tiki Room Ride Throughs"
* "Disney World Tiki Room Story"
* "Tiki Room Rare CD Set"

Opus1guy
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
If it is, indeed, a four disc collection, I would assume that it was compiled by a fan (and NOT WDP), and not edited (or LOOSELY assembled with a modicum of cutting). I'd guess endless hours of 8mm construction/ testing sequences... and NO "story."

I don't know about the latter, but I can definitely confirm the former.

As that link points out...the discs are from The Extinct Attractions Club (http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/)...which is rather famous for their own independent research, interviews, film compilations and DVD production behind many Disney attractions. Usually much more (and more candid) information than Disney ever releases on their attractions. And they are often very in-depth, like this series appears to be.

There's a sample video clip at the bottom of that web page I gave the link to, above.

It certainly may be overkill for some. But you don't have to purchase the whole set and you can purchase only the ones that interest you...or don't purchase any at all. Purchasing these DVDs is not a requirement of attendance at the event. Thirty bucks is all that is required.

For example, the "The Tiki Room Story Rare Audio CD" states:

Over 2 hours of rare audio master track recordings from the pre-show, the film, the show and the barker bird. Some of these tracks were never used and this is the ultimate tiki room sound collection.

To some Tiki Room and Disneyland fans...this sort of thing can be fan heaven!

The event itself should be a hoot. I know several of the speakers and it should be informative and entertaining to say the least. Plus...in addition to the Hawaiian pupus and tiki punch being served...a little tiki bird told me they will also have a "no-host" bar serving tropical cocktails for you older tikiphiles...that should help "with all the celebratin'!" ;)

southsaturn
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know what time is it at?

Opus1guy
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know what time is it at?

Yeah...that is missing from that ad, isn't it. :)

But it's currently scheduled from 1pm to 4pm. And the plan is for everyone (that has admission media, of course) to walk over to Disneyland and do the attraction afterwords.

TikiBird27
02-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Wow! This is fantastic--thank you for telling us about it, Opus! Alas, I don't think I can migrate down there for the event, but I am all over those DVDs. (Well...maybe not the WDW "Under New Management" one...I don't think I ever want to relive that again.) The video clip looks amazing--I can't wait! :D

TikiBird27
02-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Alas, I don't think I can migrate down there for the event, but I am all over those DVDs.

OK, I didn't even get through the morning before SpaceMountaineer and I have figured out a way to make it work so that we can go. :) We can't wait to go to the event!