PDA

View Full Version : Lunch at DCA?

mask41
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
We are planning on spending one day of our 5 day vacation at DCA. It looks like Trattoria would be a good dinner choice as the menu has something to satisfy everyone in our group. For a light lunch, would anyone recommned the sandwiches at the Fairfax Market or the Pacific Wharf Cafe? Any better recommendations?
If we take our time getting to DCA in the morning and plan on seeing all the shows, is it reasonable to think we could be there from 10am - Block Party Bash at 5:15 (will there be enough to do with 2 five year olds)?
Thanks,
Amy

Rufus T Firefly
02-11-2007, 05:41 PM
We have always had good luck with the Taste Pilot's Grill ( burgers, sandwiches, ribs and salads) And you order you food with a touch screen menu. (kinda cool)

VickiC
02-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Setting aside one day for DCA and several others for DL is rarely the most efficient way to enjoy both parks.

mask41
02-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Other suggestions are MORE than welcome!

MouseWife
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the comment about only having one day at DCA and the rest at Disneyland is because you can jump back and forth at will.

So, when Disneyland gets crowded, you can leave and go to DCA and enjoy things there. Breaking it up, taking advantage of seeing shows at both parks when you want to/can. Perhaps when it is best crowdwise at each park?

When we are at DCA a lot of times we just leave by the entrace from the Grand Californian. When you exit that way, you turn to your left and there is a cafeteria called 'White Water Snacks'. It is reasonable and a nice place to eat.

Or, heck, you can walk out and eat at the Disneyland hotel,Crocs Bites and Bits is what I think their 'fast food' eatery is called. You don't need to stay in the parks to dine, it is fun to enjoy the whole resort. As long as you can handle all of the walking.

And, the servings {the chicken sandwiches especially} are huge at the WWS. You can easily share this one with someone.

mask41
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
It seems I have heard a lot of talk about Whitewater Snacks. How far of a jaunt is it over there from DCA - we'll have 2 five year olds and my mother in tow? But, it would probably make a good opportunity to check out GCH, which we definitely want to see - thanks for that suggestion!
-Amy

MouseWife
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
You can access the GCH from the trail that runs along the backside of DCA. You can plan it to be that way for lunch, to avoid excess walking.

Hmm. Let's see how to compare it. You will walk about the same distance, I think, as walking from entrance of Disneyland to maybe the Firestation on Main St. Maybe not even that far. But, yes, you are right there at the GCH and if you go to the right, instead of the left, you will pass other restaurants mentioned here to your right and then on your left the cool pools of the GCH. Keep walking and you'll end up in the beautiful lobby of the GCH.

A rest can be had {as long as you find a seat!} either in front of the fireplace or on one of the sofas they have. Also, there is a fireplace outside {not sure if it is always lit} if you exit the doors to the left of the registration desk.

It is a nice place to rest up and then head back in to the parks.

Bytebear
02-11-2007, 09:45 PM
You can get to Downtown Disney fairly easily by cutting through the Grand Californian Hotel. The hotel and DCA are connected with an entrance near the Grizzly River Run. Whitewater snacks is just inside the hotel grounds (and to the left, by the pool). Other more high end restaurants (Napa Rose and Story Teller Cafe) are nearby. You should check out the hotel lobby regardless.

Disneyland, DCA and Downtown Disney are all within easy walking distance to each other. Just learn how to navigate between them, and the shortcut between DCA and Downtown Disney (through the Grand Californian) is a good one to know.

snappy
02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Taste Pilots is great! Burgers are tasty and I like the fact you get to select your own lettuce, tomatos, etc to put on your burger. I would avoid white-water since it's a walk and will take away from time in the park. You want to maximize your time without walking all over the place for food. Have fun

Bytebear
02-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't mean to disagree, but from Grizzly River Run, both Whitewater snacks and Taste Pilots are about the same distance. They have a different atmosphere and a different menu (although both have burgers), but distance is not a factor (unless you are afraid the gate attendants will turn you away from the private entrance to DCA unless you are not a hotel guest, which has never happened to me).

Rufus T Firefly
02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
It seems I have heard a lot of talk about Whitewater Snacks. How far of a jaunt is it over there from DCA - we'll have 2 five year olds and my mother in tow? But, it would probably make a good opportunity to check out GCH, which we definitely want to see - thanks for that suggestion!
-Amy

See if you can spot the hidden Mickey on the grandfather clock in the GCH lobby.;)

TinaMouse
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I think Test Pilot Grill is a good choice for kids....We really liked it.

mommy-san
02-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Other suggestions are MORE than welcome!
We found that because the rides themselves in Cal. Ad are very spread out that we were way more exhausted after a whole day there- but we did take breaks at things like the tortilla factory, aladdin show and playhouse disney. It was hard to pick where to be with all the different shows/parades available and only one day. Next time we will plan for 3/4 of a day at Disneyland, but spend the afternoon at california adventure to do some indoor shows, the go back to DL. And spend another day just to play at California Ad.
As for the food question- AWARD WEINERS! Even i love a hotdog when it comes from there! But get it when you have someplace else to go- like to wait in line for aladdin because seating out front of the A.w's stand is scarce.

Donald Duck Fan68
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Chalk up another vote for Taste Pilot's grill. I like the touch screen menus, the Wild Bleu Yonder Burger, the condiments table, the Karl Strauss, and my son loves the popcorn chicken.

emmah
02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
here is another vote for taste pilots grill - i love the condiments bar where you can pick your own lettuce, pickles, tomato and onion etc, to put on your burger. for vegetarians the video screen in a pain, because they don't have the vege options on screen and you have to wave down an assistant to put in a special order, but apart from that, it's in a great location near Soarin', lots of tables etc, and great food. Re the whitewater snacks, it is not a great distance and it can be very good value where you are counting pennys - they have lots of fresh fruit, and yoghurt - after a week in the parks being faced with all that junk food, it can be a relief to visit there! i agree with the other writer who talked about exhaustion with all the walking - DCA involves a LOT of walking; I always head to ToT first, then to Soarin to get a fastpass, then go to ride Screamin and the Maliboomer while waiting for the Soarin window to open so then back to Soarin and over to DL - and by the time I hit the plaza it feels like I have walked a marathon. I'm sure I walk far further at DL but it never feels like it because there are so many attractions crammed up next to one another. i spend a lot of time stretching on a holiday to the magic kingdom!!!:)

Agent
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I would agree that Whitewater Snacks is a great choice. I have 4 kids 12 and under and it is by far their favorite place to eat thanks to the chicken nachos and the Mickey Mouse pretzels.

They also love to see the cats that hang around outside by the tables. We live on 37 acres and see lots of animals scurrying about our property. But, if they see one cat at Disneyland, you would think they saw the rarest creature ever. It's quite a kick! Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy it. Oh yeah, I like Taste Pilots, but our family eats for 1/2 the cost at Whitewaters. But, that could be based on what we order so I don't want to mislead you!

The old man
02-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Setting aside one day for DCA and several others for DL is rarely the most efficient way to enjoy both parks.
:confused:

Bytebear
02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I think Vicki meant that if you have a park hopper, which pretty much everyone does, you can do DCA for a few hours and Disneyland for the rest of your time. In other words, why set aside one whole day for DCA, when there isn't enough there to fill a full day.

VickiC
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Actually, if you do *everything* at DCA I think there's more than enough to fill a whole day. All the rides, the parade, Alladin, the various activities at Animation building, lunch, dinner, can easily fill a day. But why spend the whole day at DCA where it is almost alway slow. I like to spend the busiest times at DL at DCA. If DL opens earlier than DCA, true on many days, this is especially the case. Always go to DL first, at opening, get on several rides before it gets busy, collect some Fastpasses, exit the park, enjoy a late lunch somewhere. Now is the busiest time of day at DL, so head over to DCA, enjoy some rides, or a show. Head back to DL later for parade/fireworks or ride some more rides during the dinner hours when everyone else is occupied. Use those Fastpasses you collected earlier.

nvmom
02-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I suggest Taste Pilots or White Water Snacks. Both have great choices for all ages.

Until this trip we spent 1 whole day at CA and 3 days at DL. This time we hopped back and forth. One was no better than the other. Just depends on your mood and your schedule. :)

nvmom

MouseWife
02-17-2007, 08:21 AM
We had lunch yesterday at White Water. And, yes, it isn't any farther of a walk and I also have never had a problem being allowed back through the gate. I think that is primarily for the opening of the park.

The cats! Yes, you'd think they were actual Disney characters or something!

From the table we were sitting at, we could hear live music. We looked over and the park was just about 15 feet away. If not less. It was a nice break from the hurry scurry of the park and we enjoyed a stroll around the lobby of the hotel and visited the gift shop for some necessities.

I also noticed the Weiner place. Tempting....

And, yes, I guess you could to DCA for a whole day but normally we get whatever we want done much sooner. But, we don't do everything. We did get to see Aladdin, which normally we miss. That was nice.

mask41
02-17-2007, 08:40 AM
We had lunch yesterday at White Water.

Can you tell me if WW still offers grilled cheese for kids? And, thanks so much for the info!!

MouseWife
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't even notice. Funny, because there was a time when grilled cheese was a mandatory item on any menu when my sons were younger!!!

But, perhaps someone else will answer.

{I just wanted to let you know I am paying attention. :fez:}

shawnarae
02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Love Tasty Pilots!!!!!!!!!!! Wish they make the old Soap Opera Bistro into a SCI FI Cafe like WDW :)

Wendi
02-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I would recommend heading to WWS rather than eating in DCA any day. Much better food than anywhere in DCA IMO.

Can you tell me if WW still offers grilled cheese for kids? And, thanks so much for the info!!

Yes, at least as of February 2nd they still offered it.