PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Premium AP? [from Deluxe]

nsaul1211
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone, I need some advice. My girlfriend and I have been Deluxe passholders for the last 3 and a half years. We spend many wonderful days and nights and Disneyland forgetting about the real world. :)

We have to renew our passes in about 3 weeks and we were thinking whether we should upgrade to PAPs. Currently I am the only one with parking, but she thinks that she needs it as well since she has a tendancy to go with other people. We do dine at Disneyland alot and think that we could definately save a bit more with the 15%. Plus it would be nice not to have to worry about being blocked out.

If there are any PAPs who used to have other annual passes, I would greatly appreciate your insight!

-Nick

ILovePoker
02-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't upgrade. Simply for the fact that only the busiest days are blocked out on a deluxe pass, I'm not sure if you would want to go to the resort when the parks are filled to the brim anyways.

cstephens
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
If there are any PAPs who used to have other annual passes, I would greatly appreciate your insight!

I'm not one of those, but I think it's a matter of looking at whether or not you will really be using what's offered to you by a PAP. Have you had occasions when you've wanted to go but you couldn't because you were blocked out? Has that happened enough times that it would have been worth having the PAP? If it's just a parking problem, then that could be solved by putting parking on both of your passes. I'm not trying to talk you out of upgrading, but it just seems that if it's just the parking that's the issue and you wouldn't be using any of the other perqs, it might not be worth it to you.

Malcon10t
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
We do dine at Disneyland alot and think that we could definately save a bit more with the 15%. Plus it would be nice not to have to worry about being blocked out.

-NickWe have PAPs, not for the extra 5% on dining, but because we go during the Christmas/NYE week and 4th of July. For the 5% savings to break even for you, you would need to spend $2400 a year on food. Or $1200 for 1 pass. The discount itself does not get me to upgrade. BUT, if you would use it on blacked out days, then I would say upgrade.

Bytebear
02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
We have had PAPs for the past 3 years, and last year (when they raised the price) we did Deluxe. We don't miss it at all. I have parking added and it's still cheaper than a PAP. Crunch the numbers and maybe you will find the discounts are worth it, but the black out days aren't. We did go on one black out day but that only cost $35, which was still cheaper than a PAP.

snappy
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
My girlfriend and I were in the same boat as you guys. We had the deluxe and enjoyed it. We renewed them for the PAP and never regretted it! It's nice to be able to go anytime and not worry about block out dates. The discounts for food and merchandise are nice. Even when the parks are packed it's always nice to visit. sometimes we just get fast passes and ride only a couple of rides. And New year's eve makes it all worth it too. Since August of 2006 we've gone over 20 times. I think the passes paid for themselves.

MagicKingdomBoy
02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I have parking added and it's still cheaper than a PAP.I didn't know you could do that! Had I known, that's probably what I would've gone for. How much extra is the parking add-on?

Malcon10t
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't know you could do that! Had I known, that's probably what I would've gone for. How much extra is the parking add-on?$59

mulansgirl
02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
In one year I up graded twice went from a So-cal to deluxe then just gave up and got the Pap. I love never having to worry about blackout days, just wake up and decide to go, no planning. we go at least twice a month so it is very worth it to us and we always eat there so why not get a little better discount on what I already get. I am happy with it and we have been getting them every year for three years.
It is up to you. depends on how often you go and what you want out of your pass.

disney jones
02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
consider just upgrading one of you to a PAP for the discounts and parking. sounds like gf would want it, but do you?

that's my family - one PAP, the rest DAPs.

Courtney Anne
02-13-2007, 07:00 AM
consider just upgrading one of you to a PAP for the discounts and parking. sounds like gf would want it, but do you?

that's my family - one PAP, the rest DAPs.

How are you disney jones ? I haven't spoken to you in a while...

We upgraded to Deluxe passes. When looking at the calendar of blackout days - I didn't see the point in getting the PAPs. The merchandise and dining discount sounds nice... but I didn't think it would be worth it money wise over the course of a year to justify spending that much.

However, we live in AZ and before getting APs we only went once a year. Now that we have the APs we will go at least twice if not more during the course of a year.

If you have the money and you will take ADVANTAGE of the discounts - then upgrade. If you will want to be at the parks during BLACKOUT days, then upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

disney jones
02-13-2007, 07:32 PM
How are you disney jones ? I haven't spoken to you in a while...fine :) - how was the triP - you owe us a big report! :D

nsaul1211
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! We will definately take all of your suggestions into consideration before we make our decision in the next two weeks.

In the meantime I'll be heading to the park this evening and having a nice Valentines dinner at Steakhouse 55. I hope that the new menu is as good as the old one! :D

lilfaeriebrat
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM
In November we purchased 3 of the So Cal Passes (the better of the two) thinking that would be good for our needs. Our needs at the time was just something to do with my grandma at a place she's loved until she passed. Well, now that's she's still with us and still fighting her cancer we realized we needed to upgrade. It was decided that mine would be upgraded to PAP so that I can get in to purchase pins on release days if there was something we wanted. I'm the person that all ways goes, my mom doesn't go with just my grandma but I do so I get the PAP with parking and all the discounts. My grandma likes eatting at the park so we make good use of the extra 5%, and the shopping discount is nice for the pin shopping. My mom and grandma upgraded to the Deluxe to get more days when the holidays start coming around.

If your girlfriend tends to go without you and you never go without her, get her the PAP for the parking and discounts while you stay with deluxe.