PDA

View Full Version : Is it such a big Deal? [people who have never visited Disneyland]

Pages : [1] 2 3

snappy
02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Is this out of the norm? I would say about 90% of my 2nd graders have never been to Disneyland because their families can't afford it. It's sad because when I was that age going to Disneyland was the greatest place on earth, still is. Anyone else have a story like this? I sometimes wish I could take them and just see their faces light up.

TinaMouse
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
No, not out of the norm at all. My husband had never been to any Disney property until our honeymoon. Of course, we don't live (didn't then either) in FL or CA, so I suppose your query is especially impressive since you're in CA.

Really sad. Now DH and I have arguments over how many Disney trips are enough (there's never enough!).

MouseWife
02-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, I am like you. It is a big deal. But, there are also parents who don't find Disneyland such a priority. :fez:

And, money can't be such an issue. I know it is expensive but when my kids were younger and things were tight, I managed to get us there.

I entered contests, I listened to the radio to win, we had yard sales.

And, figure, kids under 3 are free.

And, I am being a bit harsh about it but you live in Pasadena, unless they don't have a car, admission would be the biggest cost.

Pack a lunch.

Unless the parents are just saying they can't afford it and really don't want to take their kids. I know parents who don't want to take their kids as they don't find it to be something worthwhile.

I also know of kids whose parents find it quite difficult to go, but, part of that is that transportation is an issue.

I understand your feeling of wanting to take them. Totally.

mycutekitties
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
My 6 year old neices that live in central CA have never been. They would have so much fun! I feel so bad for them.

disneyshoes
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I know a lot of families that really have no interest in going?! I have had one family ask us what the "big" deal was...after my long speech about the magic, the look on the kids faces, the rides and MOSTLY the chance to have just as much fun as the kids with the kids...they still thought it was over rated.

I think it is just not a priority for everyone. If they knew the magic it brought the kids- they would find away...hopefully.

honeymoon @disney
02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
That's kind of funny...

I live in Canada and everyone I know has been to Disneyland! EVERYONE! Except myself and my family, of course. :(
We we supposed to go when I was 10, but Dad got his license revoked due to too many tickets, so no go. Was gonna go at 12, but parents got divorced.
(Personally, I think I would have handled the divorce better if they took me to Disneyland, but that's just my opinion)... ;)

Now, I am disney obsessed, and planning my honeymoon there (a year late now, because my fiancee got a chronic back problem at his job, and had trouble working for awhile). I've seen every picture, every map, every review. I even made a binder with pages on every land, and the food/shops/rides there.

This has kind of turned into a rant, but I was thinking about this last night. There's seems there's always some complaints from people who go often. I totally understand that, because a lot of the time things do not go well, or there are problems. But next time maybe think of people like me, or the children mentioned in the op, who would do anything to go just once! Seriously! I would give up most of my possessions just to stand outside the gates of Disneyland for 20 minutes and gawk!

In the meantime, maybe what we haven't gotten to do will make your trip even better! I mean, even if the food is bad, and the price is high, and the lines are long... just remember, at least you're there.

(And if you're not... then can I have your ticket??? ;))

VickiC
02-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Believe it or not, there are people who would have to not feed their kids for awhile to take the family to Disneyland. They can't have garage sales, they have nothing to sell and the clothes their kids wear were probably purchased at a garage sale to begin with. Disneyland is a luxury.

mistofviolets
02-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I think if they live close, and money's tight, they just may have forgotten how much fun Disney can be. Its...regular...yk?

My dd's first trip was between 2nd and 3rd grade. We didn't do it the way a lot of people would...but we had so much *fun* not exhausting ourselves ;) I know a lot of people want to get their "money's worth" and a day trip might not cut it. For us...the bright eyes were our money's worth :)

Stupid_American
02-10-2007, 01:56 PM
There are plenty of folks who can't afford to spend the $232 gate for a family of 4 (assuming the kids are over 3).

MouseWife
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree, Disneyland is a luxury. And people should not forget to appreciate it.

But, I have gone so many times with tickets won off of the radio {and, in this case, being in Pasadena as the op stated, I would figure they give tickets away just as often if not more than here in San Diego. I've actually heard them given away while visiting L.A.} that I know it can be done.

Again, I am speaking of people who live close by {not Canada!! Wow, that is a ginormous trip!}. BTDT

And, it isn't easy to win off of the radio, I know this. But, I've been determined. Just like the contest mentioned here, how people {who can afford it} send off postcards daily. Persistance.

But, I do know what you are talking about. Growing up, we had a fund for Disneyland collecting aluminum cans.

I am saying, it can be done. I think for a lot of people, even on here, it isn't easy. It is a sacrifice. Even if that means walking around picking up cans, etc. Although, now that I think about it...some people might be territorial about the can collecting!!! Be careful!

And, for those who are budget tight, if you qualify for your kids to go to the YMCA Boys & Girls club, would this also cover them for the fieldtrips they take? Something to look in to.

I'm not ignorant, I know poverty. I'm just the type of pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get 'er done type of person. Don't give up, don't stop trying if you really want something.

That's all.

darph nader
02-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Stupid American is right on the $$$. Hell, years ago my science teacher in jr high asked his students,"I you could fly in a jet,to any place in the world. Where would it be?" A few of the kids answered " Mount Lemmon", it's 35 miles out of town.:(
Sad to say,D/L IS a luxury for some folks,us included.

yenko427
02-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree, it is sad but it is a luxury. So is any entertainment any more. Heck, going to a movie with your family is expensive. You can buy it on DVD for less than half the price a few months later.

The old man
02-10-2007, 05:15 PM
There are plenty of folks who can't afford to spend the $232 gate for a family of 4 (assuming the kids are over 3).
Oh, and you might want to eat while you're there.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Aside from money, it's sometimes just not what a family enjoys doing together. Our friends have plenty o' money but they're very into the outdoors. They and their children have never been to Disneyland, but they camp all the time, are in Yosemite every year, fly to Glacier National Park annually, etc. They say they don't like crowds, waiting in line and spending that much money on something that isn't particularly interesting to them...which is exactly how I feel about skiing, their favorite family activity.;) And if money is an issue, Disneyland can be prohibitively expensive. I've been to birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese and overheard other families talk about how they saved for 6 months to be able to have their child's party there. Disneyland would be on the five year plan.

MouseWife
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, yes, it would be great if Disneyland offered family rates.

Heck, add to that the fact that kids are 3-9??? Hello? So, kids after 9 are employed and self supporting? This is so wrong.

Which brings to my mind, if Disneyland is so much for the kids, why do they make it so expensive for parents to bring them?

I know I've said it can be done and I think it can be. Growing up we never stayed the night. We didn't buy souveniers and we didn't eat snacks all day. But yes, even just admission and eating is a lot. And difficult.

So, I am not making light of those who haven't been.

Maybe the suits should think of a more important plan~one that helps more people able to enter the park.

Gosh, I remember going in for dinner, having to just pay the GA fee. Catching a concert that way, too.

LUV_U_MICKEY
02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
The first time I ever went to DL was last year, at the age of 25. I figured that since our Provincial government was nice enough to give us rebate checks, I would let them send me to DL. My DS and I had a blast, a year latter and he will still tell you all about it.

My mom had a verry limited income when I was growing up, going to the local fair was a treat let alone flying accross the country to go to DL.
I was so excited to take my son. I think That I was more excited then he was.

But the sad thing is that more people could afford to plan these kinds of trip if only they cut down on spending money on stupid stuff. Like smoking and bingo...Ect. My Older step sister does both and wonders why she can't afford to take her kids on these types of trips. I think that its people like them that think Disneyland is out of there reach when its starring them right in the face. A little saving can go a long way.

SarahJanet
02-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, we traveled a ton as kids, and my parents wouldn't have taken us within 100 feet of a Disney resort. (The only one we would have been anywhere near was Disneyland Paris anyway.) There are a LOT of places in the world to visit, and I can certainly understand why people choose places other than Disneyland. I didn't go to Disneyland until a band trip in high school, and my parents certainly didn't take me then! But by then, I'd grown up on two different continents, visited 8 of the ten provinces of Canada, several European countries, and Africa. I think, as much as I do love Disneyland, I got a lot more from those experiences than I would have going to Disneyland.

Never mind all the people for who travel is an unimaginable luxury. I'm also pretty offended by the idea that if they quit smoking and playing bingo they'd be able to afford it. There are people for whom three meals a day is a luxury. Let's try to keep some perspective on what a luxury really is and how lucky we all are, shall we?

LUV_U_MICKEY
02-11-2007, 08:30 AM
In my line of work I see alot of people who "waste" money. I Run a convinience store and every couple of days I want to hit a mom or dad who buys there smokes and lotto then turns to thier kids and tells then, "No I can't buy you a ...... I have no money." Yet they just bought a pack of smokes or a bunch of lotto tickets. As a parent I always put my child first and I think that not everyone does. The reason I said that if they stoped with all the addictions maybe they could afford vacations is because I have seen what people can do if they don't need to feed these addictions, like myself. I don't smoke or gamble or drink. I make around the same as my BFF and she does smoke. ME I am going on my second 'real" vacation this year, and her well she asked me to bring something Cinderella back for her daughter. I know that the only thing standing in her way is the 1 pack of smokes a day that she smokes. That $ 77. a week. If she was to stop now then, she might be able to join me and my sis on our WDW tryip this fall. Thats all I wanted to say. Its those kind of peple who view Disneyland as being out of reach when its not.

Monte Cristo
02-11-2007, 08:37 AM
I visited Disneyland for the first time at age 30. Granted, I lived in NYC up until 2000, but DisneyWorld is only a two hour flight from there and my family just never went. In fact, it wasn't even considered an option. Just didn't seem like a priority for my parents.

Rapunzelthorn
02-11-2007, 09:02 AM
We grew up going to Disneyland every summer. I went for the first time as an infant. It was a huge priority for my family as my parents loved taking their children there. They both grew up poor and so giving their kids things and experiences that they didn't get was a big priority for them. I do realize as an adult that we were very lucky. We did not live in California, so it's not like it was right around the corner. We grew up outside of Phoenix, AZ., but we always went. It was a priority for my family. And, there were 7 kids in my family! I think that it was a way for my parents to play with us kids. I have taken my own kids three times. So far, my youngest has gone twice and she is only two and my son who is five has been three times. We are planning on making it an annual thing as it was for me growing up. :)

cstephens
02-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I think my immediate reaction to hearing that someone has never been to Disneyland is that it's odd, but then, I've lived in Southern California for most of my life, so it's always been right here. As a kid, we definitely didn't have a lot of money, and with multiple siblings, it was a very expensive outing. I think we went a couple times when I was a kid, but it was because my parents would save up for those trips. We would have maybe one meal there, but we also brought a lot of snacks with us, and I don't think we were allowed sweets or treats or the like, and I don't remember getting any kind of souvenir. That definitely cuts down on the cost while still being able to have the experience. If we didn't live within driving distance, though, I don't imagine I would ever have visited the park as a child.

Disneyland is definitely a luxury, and yeah, I think it really should be. Much as we all have an affinity for it, it's not something vital to living, and lots of people have very happy full lives without ever lamenting that they've never been to Disneyland.

I won't say that *everyone* could afford Disneyland, but I'd say most people within driving distance could - it all depends on what they're willing to sacrifice. Most people indulge in some kind of luxury, whether it's expensive food, movies, books, CDs, whatever. Would they be willing to give those up for however long it takes to save up for a trip to the park? That's the question. It's all a matter of what we choose to spend our money on.

snappy
02-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I am like you. It is a big deal. But, there are also parents who don't find Disneyland such a priority. :fez:

And, money can't be such an issue. I know it is expensive but when my kids were younger and things were tight, I managed to get us there.

I entered contests, I listened to the radio to win, we had yard sales.

And, figure, kids under 3 are free.

And, I am being a bit harsh about it but you live in Pasadena, unless they don't have a car, admission would be the biggest cost.

Pack a lunch.

Unless the parents are just saying they can't afford it and really don't want to take their kids. I know parents who don't want to take their kids as they don't find it to be something worthwhile.

I also know of kids whose parents find it quite difficult to go, but, part of that is that transportation is an issue.

I understand your feeling of wanting to take them. Totally.
I do live in Pasadena but my job is in a very low socioeconomic neighborhood which is about 7 miles south east of Pasadena. :)

snappy
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
In my line of work I see alot of people who "waste" money. I Run a convinience store and every couple of days I want to hit a mom or dad who buys there smokes and lotto then turns to thier kids and tells then, "No I can't buy you a ...... I have no money." Yet they just bought a pack of smokes or a bunch of lotto tickets. As a parent I always put my child first and I think that not everyone does. The reason I said that if they stoped with all the addictions maybe they could afford vacations is because I have seen what people can do if they don't need to feed these addictions, like myself. I don't smoke or gamble or drink. I make around the same as my BFF and she does smoke. ME I am going on my second 'real" vacation this year, and her well she asked me to bring something Cinderella back for her daughter. I know that the only thing standing in her way is the 1 pack of smokes a day that she smokes. That $ 77. a week. If she was to stop now then, she might be able to join me and my sis on our WDW tryip this fall. Thats all I wanted to say. Its those kind of peple who view Disneyland as being out of reach when its not.
I feel the same as you. Some of the parents don't see the value of an education and don't help their kids with their homework. I once had a parent said they would be happy if their kid worked at Mcdonalds. working at Mcdonalds is fine, but let's give your child the choice in the matter and give them the basic skills to succeed in society. Just my opinion. thanks for yours.

snappy
02-11-2007, 10:52 AM
yes, living far away from the parks will detour families from going. I'm sure if I lived outside Ca, disneyland would be the last place they would want to vacation. Most likely destinations would be, Hawaii, Europe, and other places. I agree that Disneyland is a Huge Luxury to families. Considering we are all disney junkies, I just think Disneyland and WDW are very magical places for kids and adults.

Donald Duck Fan68
02-11-2007, 12:09 PM
I think a local family that really wants to go to Disneyland just has to make choices in how they want to make the trip happen. If a family of four is able to save (or earn an additional) $25 a month, in one year they will have saved $300, which would be enough for the admission and at least one meal. For some, that would be difficult to do and many might not see the value they would be getting in such an experience. For some, it probably is out of reach.

I do agree that it is a luxury that many just can't afford. But, I also agree with LUV_U_MICKEY in that some parents have the means to save for such a luxury, but it is otherwise being spent on smaller items along the way, like cigarettes. Quitting smoking is no easy task, but the average smoker probably doesn't even realize they're spending close to $2000 a year on cigarettes.