PDA

View Full Version : Why has Disneyland stopped mentioning Red Hot Chili Peppers in their ads?

Darkbeer
02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I just watched the new "Rockin' Both Parks" TV ad, which is in the "Dreams" format, with the current Peter Pan music and basic lettering, no Medieval Fonts, or the mention of the band. Just that there is rock music on the two coasters.

The Billboard on the 55 has a photo of Space Mountain, and mentions that you can Rock to a new beat, but no mention of the bands.

The new print Ads also have no mention of the bans, or use of the Medieval typeset.

So why did Disney drop advertising the band?

Darkbeer
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Drove by the Billboard on the 55 this evening when I picked up Lisa from John Wayne...

There is a large photo of Space Mountain on the left side, and on the right you have the following words...

Space Mountain

Rockin' to a new music track

Now thru April 26

and the Disneyland Resort Logo.

Nothing to do with the Dreams Campaign, but also no mention of the RHCP either...

Disney has for some reason decided to not mention the band used....

Bytebear
02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I can see two reasons:

1. They are getting a negative response because the Peppers aren't a family friendly band, and so they are downplaying it.

2. They are getting a negative response, and the Peppers have requested that they not be mentioned in conjunction with such a lame promotion.

Either seems equally plausible.

olegc
02-10-2007, 07:40 AM
according to some other posts and advertising journals -
1) the theme of ads did not meet family focus demographics as well as a YOMD message
2) it was not driving enough traffic on it's own.

yohomama212
02-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Love that billboard spot... drive by it on my way home all the time! Always a DL ad. Anyway, it seems to me that there were a lot of people here talking about how the RHCP weren't really all that "rockin" on the rides and it was a bad decision all around. Is anyone ever going to be happy around here? This is the Happiest Place on Earth!

Liz :cool:

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-10-2007, 09:21 AM
The soundtrack on Space Mountain really seemed to work, on Screaming, not so much.

yenko427
02-10-2007, 09:27 AM
We did not ride Screamin' when we were there but I am not a big RHCP fan but the music did rock on Space Mountain and I really thought it went well. My five year old even said it rocked.

Mr.Abominable
02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I can see two reasons:

1. They are getting a negative response because the Peppers aren't a family friendly band, and so they are downplaying it.

2. They are getting a negative response, and the Peppers have requested that they not be mentioned in conjunction with such a lame promotion.

Either seems equally plausible.
I think reason 2 is hilarious! I thought the music sounded good and went pretty well on Screamin but I did not like all of the lights in Space. Seeing everything made the ride feel really slow and the whole thing just seemed kind of stupid.

Missapsy
02-11-2007, 01:35 AM
i agree with mr. abominable. it was really apropos on screaming, but on space mountain, i just found myself wishing it were about space again...

i don't know why they selected RHCP to begin with. whoever made that decision is seriously out of touch...

Karin
02-11-2007, 07:54 AM
i don't know why they selected RHCP to begin with. whoever made that decision is seriously out of touch...

Or whoever selected it wanted a chance to meet the RHCP and this seemed like a good way to them...

emmah
02-11-2007, 12:22 PM
i rode both of them a few times each when I visited in January = the first time I rode space mountain, i hated the change and didn't plan to go on it again, but i gave it another go and quickly warmed to it. it's true that all the lights letting you see the tracks changes the dynamic but the song itself is so catchy that it made up for it although i am looking forward to it going back to normal. i also thought that the theming was pretty lame - apart from a guitarist floating in space on the big screen as you reach the loading dock, i didn't see any theming to reflect the change. i thought the music on screamin' was fantastic and would be happy for it to stay ...:)

MouseWife
02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Or whoever selected it wanted a chance to meet the RHCP and this seemed like a good way to them...

LOL

MagicKingdomBoy
02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I rode space mountain. I hated the change and didn't plan to go on it again.
My thoughts exactly. Even though I like the music, we're in TOMORROW LAND, which to me connotes a futuristic theme, not modern day rock. But the worst was those hideous lights illuminating the tracks. I was somewhat amused at being able to get a good look at the tracks, but not more than once. And those hokey lights gotta go. IMHO, by lighting up the tracks they have ruined the essence of the ride.

I was really bummed out by what they've done to Space Mountain.

SDMom
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
according to some other posts and advertising journals -
1) the theme of ads did not meet family focus demographics as well as a YOMD message
2) it was not driving enough traffic on it's own.

Reason 3) the Agreement with RHCP only allowed for promotion for a limited time.