PDA

View Full Version : Flag Ceremony was worth watching

jcruise86
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I know there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but thanks to all who wrote about the flag-lowering ceremony and convinced me to check it out. It was impressive and I enjoyed experiencing it with my toddler daughter who was interested.

I noticed that the conductor of the 14-member (not including him) band was also the leader of the Mary Poppins band. This is another GREAT cast member. He "gets it" and when he performs he seems to really appreciate it that his job is making music and entertaining at Disneyland. I love when the performers (like the Delta Daddios--no longer there:crying: --and the absolutely fantastic firehouse musicians--and those three guys who bang trash cans in Tomorrowland) genuinely enjoy themselves.

Maus
02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
So glad you enjoyed it. I've always maintained that this is a "must see" experience.

Another Dimension
02-08-2007, 04:58 AM
I love when the performers (like the Delta Daddios--no longer there:crying:

When were they fired? :(

Hey Disney.... Disneyland is more than just plush-selling characters and Capt Jack. :rolleyes: :p :p :p

emmah
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I checked this out for the first time last month, too. There were representatives of all the armed services there, and I enjoyed watching the way they stood at attention and then at ease (I think its called) according to some invisible code that they all obviously knew. As an Australian, I found it really interesting watching patriotism american-style - we just don't do things like that except on special occassions like ANZAC day, and in fact there was an uproar a couple of years ago when the PM suggested that all schools should have flagpoles. anyway, it was a very lovely ceremony, albeit a bit overblown: when everyone broke into America the Beautiful we had had enough and had to wander quietly away...:)

mask41
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Okay, maybe a silly question, but where and when is the Flag Ceremony??
Thanks,
Amy

Andrew
02-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Okay, maybe a silly question, but where and when is the Flag Ceremony??
Town Square, usually around 4:00 PM. Check the daily times guide for the exact time.

jcruise86
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Town Square, usually around 4:00 PM. Check the daily times guide for the exact time.
4:30 when I was there. Actually it was about 5 minutes late. (So were we.)

gibson510
02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Yea I always watch the ceremony when I can. It's really well done.

BQ2
02-09-2007, 04:55 AM
We like it too!!

tod
02-09-2007, 09:05 AM
4:30 when I was there. Actually it was about 5 minutes late. (So were we.)

It's at sundown, more or less, so the time will vary through the year. Check at City Hall the day(s) you go.

--t

cjkeys
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I saw it for the first time last week. I was ok until they started honoring the vets then I got teary-eyed. Before it was all said and done, I had tears running down my face. (I'm surprised my daughter didn't move away from me out of embarrassment as I blotted and blotted with kleenex.) It was extremely touching to honor those who have fought for this country. (I must admit, I am a total and complete emotional wuss. Fantasmic had the same effect on me -- but, for different reasons, of course.)

Anyway, it is something very, very special.

itig
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I love the Flag Ceremony and am looking forward to seeing it again...

soccerlady16
02-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Is it the same military men that do the cermony? Is this their regular "job" How does this work?

parkfreak
02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Is it the same military men that do the cermony? Is this their regular "job" How does this work?
When they do the Armed Forces tribute part of the program, they announce that, (this is paraphrased, of course) for anyone who ever has, or is currently serving in our country's armed forces; when you hear the theme song for your particular branch of service, please join us in the center near the flagpole. It's usually park guests, but last time I saw it, there was a CM that came up too! That was so cool!
It is very touching to be able to applaud for our heroes! I attend every chance I get.

JohnGar
02-14-2007, 09:42 AM
My wife and I caught the ceremony the first time on our anniversary in 2001, less than two weeks after 9/11. We make it a point to catch it everytime we go.

We have noticed two things that make it more special now:

1. Disneyland has started putting the time of the ceremony in the park guide and Web site.

2. It has been expanded from when we first started watching it. It used to be just the three-member color guard.