PDA

View Full Version : Real Swans [in Sleeping Beauty Castle moat]

Park Freak
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Well now that the YOAMD swans are in the castle moat, I was thinking....
I haven't noticed real swans in there for quite a while. Does anybody know if there is a "story" behind their disappearance?
Or have they been there (before the refurbishment) and I have just not seen them??
I know my fellow mousepadders (:geek: s) will help me out!!!

just beatla33
02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
they take them out while they make the castle purdy, they don't fence them off as well

just beatla33
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
they take them out while they make the castle purdy, they don't fence them off as well

just beatla33
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM

samsma
02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
WE got it the FIRST time!LOL:D

Park Freak
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I know that they take them out during the refurbishment. That's why I said before the refurbishment.

Anybody else????....Darkbeer????.....anyone????

futurecm21
02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I have never seen artificial swans in the moat, and I haven't heard about them being removed for any reason. If you come back after the refurbishment is completed I imagine you will see them cruising around the moat as they always do.:)
futurecm21

Opus1guy
02-07-2007, 04:46 PM
...and I haven't heard about them being removed for any reason.

They have been removed many times in Disneyland's history, for various reasons (area maintenance, sickness, etc).

Here's one of my favorite photos of Walt...right down in the moat demonstrating some sort of proficiency in handling birds:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/waltswans.jpg

:)

Last I heard, the Disneyland swans are still leased from an outside animal farm.

leota's necklace
02-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Last I heard, the Disneyland swans are still leased from an outside animal farm.

Four Legs Good! Two Legs Bad!

Park Freak
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the cool pic, Opus1guy!!

DaddyB
02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
The original swans (probably the ones pictured in the above link, since it looks like the castle is still under construction) were a gift, I recall it was the Hollywood Polo Club (I could be wrong on who it was that gave them). The polo club makes sense to me, because I know Walt played polo.

Opus1guy
02-08-2007, 11:32 PM
The original swans (probably the ones pictured in the above link, since it looks like the castle is still under construction) were a gift, I recall it was the Hollywood Polo Club (I could be wrong on who it was that gave them). The polo club makes sense to me, because I know Walt played polo.

May have been. But judging from the gal in the photo...it could also be some country's (Holland?) Ambassador or Counsel General presenting them to Walt and the Park...with the costumed gal also being from that country, assisting in the presentation and providing "color."

I mean...look at the spats that guy on the right is wearing. 1955...he must be from Europe! ;)

geoffa
02-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I have never seen artificial swans in the moat, and I haven't heard about them being removed for any reason. If you come back after the refurbishment is completed I imagine you will see them cruising around the moat as they always do.:)
futurecm21

The "artificial swans" are those pink things in the water.Granted, to me, they dont much look like swans. - See Darkbeer's photos

evrythngwmn
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM

Here's some info (http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/castle/trivia.htm). I believe the gentleman with the glasses in Opus1guy's photo is Dore Schary and the woman is an actress (can't remember the name).

Park Freak
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks everybody!!!
Cool link evrythngwmn!!!

Opus1guy
02-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Here's some info (http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/castle/trivia.htm). I believe the gentleman with the glasses in Opus1guy's photo is Dore Schary and the woman is an actress (can't remember the name).

Great great info! You know...I actually thought that looked like Dore Schary but then thought to myself, "What would he be doing there?"

I'm now sure you and DaddyB are right and that's who is in the picture. And I bet I even discovered the "connection!" In 1955 Dore Schary was in the middle of production of his film..."The Swan" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049815/)...which was released the next year in 1956. So it was probably a P.R. photo op for all of them!

Thanks!