PDA

View Full Version : Whaddya Have To Do To Get One Of Those Dreams?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ladodgerjon
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
As a premium AP holder, I probably visit the resort once or twice each month.

I have yet to come anywhere close to being handed something by a "dream giver" (or whatever the proper nomenclature is for such a CM).

Sure, I've seen plenty of folks walking around the park with their souped-up-on-steroids-fastpass-on-a fancy-lanyard-rig, but I've never actually witnessed someone being awarded such a prize... let alone be approached by the clothed-in-Gap-khakis dream-maker.

>>Sigh!<<<

Someday my (material) dream will come. Maybe.

Has anybody else here in the DB been handed something IN THE PARK? Or witnessed someone being given a prize? Just curious how the scenario plays itself out during the 'big moment'...

just beatla33
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing, I told my fiance, that we average two to three times a month too and we have a bet if we get something or not. I of course say we're not going to even come close. Maybe we need two kids to get reconized as the idle family of four.

DisneylandForever
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Not in DL, but last Nov in WDW. We were in the ToT queue and a CM with a big box was handing them out. We later saw some CM's giving them away at the train station. There was no hooplah, it was just like, "here's your lanyard." I think they actually did say "congratulations," or something like that.

yenko427
02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I posted on another thread that we were in the parks Tue-Fri. of last week and received two dreams on Wed. and saw another dream being handed out on Fri. morning. I had read about them so I was on the look-out and ready to launch myself to the proper area as fast as I could to get one. I was really hoping to win the lanyard and came home and bought one off ebay.

KeithOfTerror
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
It's all pretty random, actually. They're given a guideline like "Give it to the first person to get off of Big Thunder Mountain around 4:35." So it's kind of a lottery of being in the right place at the right time...

FYI, if you're eating at Plaza Inn try and show up 'bout 4:30ish and you might get lucky...

just beatla33
02-06-2007, 03:01 PM
The to commercials should read the Year of a Million Raffles, they just kind of back themselves into a corner especally at DL since a majority of their attendence are AP holders that come a lot

Darkbeer
02-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I have caught the Dream Team in action a few times this last week. (You can see some photos at my photo site.

Remember, they only hand out prizes from opening to 5 pm (per the rules) and that the Dream Fastpasses and the Hotel stay are handed out in the first few hours the park is open, so they can be used that day.

So the best tip I can give, get there early.

The second best tip, enter the contest through the mail-in method, many folks here at LP have said they received prizes in the mail.

jeffthechef
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I do not hold any hope of actually winning anything in the YOMD giveaway. My guess is that most people don't expect to win either, and that's may be why the promotion is not producing the kind of results that management was hoping for.

Hope this doesn't seem like too much of a downer, it's just how I see it.

charpaul
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I have been fortunate enough to win two things so far...
Tickets to CandleLight evening performance were being handed out (to those of us there VERY early for the first performance) on a limited basis for the SundayEvening show last Christmas.
AND - I have finally gotten a pair of the ears!!!!
Both were very random encounters.... No fanfair - just simply being in the right place at the right time sort of thing. ( I did notice that MANY people were coming from that location wearing the ears - so I decided to check it out!! It was the Right Side Entrance Tunnel by the Bank where I got my ears.)

I have some CM friends who have told me this...
All "prizes" are to be given out by 5:00PM each day. The majority of the prizes (up to 80%) are given out in the morning in the first three hours of the park being open. So on a typical Sunday (with 9:00AM opening)- by noon most of the prizes have been rewarded and your chances are now much smaller of getting something later in the day.

I have also heard that - "If the Dream Squad CM has a large black shoulder bag that you should consider following them and see where they are going to set up." Chances are that they have either the ears, or the lanyards in the bag. I am NOT talking about the smaller black bags that they walk around with all the time. The ones I have seen are similar to a duffle bag.... big enough to hold quite a few "Dreams"

SO - go early - stake out a spot - and watch for the Dream Squad OR people wearing the Dream prizes..

The old man
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
This is the silliest promotion Disney's ever had. First, I don't think even half of the visitors to the park even know about. And I do think that many of those who do know get resentful about not winning. I think in a previous discussion it was determined that less than 5% of the visitors each day who will win anything. Or was it even lower?

bassett1976
02-06-2007, 04:23 PM
We got to spend a few days at the resort last month and I swear that we noticed them handing out things to people around us about 4 different times. I guess it just wasn't meant to be...

raediance
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Not in DL, but last Nov in WDW. We were in the ToT queue and a CM with a big box was handing them out. We later saw some CM's giving them away at the train station. There was no hooplah, it was just like, "here's your lanyard." I think they actually did say "congratulations," or something like that. Yeah, they just told us 'Congratulations!'
Some people walked over and they gave them stuff.
I never thought I'd win something, but I did. I guess we were just lucky.

cstephens
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
A group of three of us received the ears.

Darkbeer
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Based on past attendance figures, the odds are somewhere around 1 in 60 to 70. That makes less than 2% of the folks visiting the park getting a prize in a day.

mickeyxminnie
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
so im hoping im part of that 2%.. more so for my nephews sakes it would be so much more exciting for kids to get these prizes, something special they can bring home and say they won

njdrummer
02-06-2007, 06:26 PM
They were handing out lanyards with special pins on them for a brief period to anyone who walked under Merlins Hat at Downtown Disney, one day. I wish I knew more about the pin trading. Both my GF and I got them.

tinker3
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
When we were there in Nov. we won the Dream Fastpasses as we were walking into the Haunted Mansion Foyer. Everyone in that group got them, and it was in the morning. Maybe I am in the minority here but I think the YOMD is pretty cool. DLR is fun and magical as it is, and hey if you win something while you are there it's just an extra :D !

yohomama212
02-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm with you, Tink! I really like this YOAMD (and the decorations to accompany it)! I have the same question as the OP, but I figure in the 7 times I've been to the park this year: twice we arrived afternoon, twice my preggo butt was alone with the kids, and the other three times were the first week of the year when attendance was up so odds were down. So to improve my odds I have to wait patiently til the baby has popped out and I can ride the real rides and start stalking the Dream Team!

Liz :cool:

Tinker Bell
02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I go every thursday from park opening till 1:30pm and sometimes other days of the week. I have seen the Dream team walk around but never seen anything givin out. I fig my luck is really low. But I did make some of those post cards and one of these days I will go to the post ofice and get stamps to send them in. I want ears that is all I collect ears and need my self a pair. I also think that my luck is just waiting till my first WDW trip in oct to let me stay at the castle. I can wait for that.

raediance
02-06-2007, 08:20 PM
I personally like YOAMD. I'll like it even more if I get a Dream FastPass.
I just can't wear my lanyard / pin trading thing while I'm there, that way they don't know that I've already won something...if that matters.
But since, apparently, the chances are 1 in 60, and i've already gotten that one chance...I don't think I'll win again. x( I want a Fast Pass. Is it only for one day?

TiggerRPh
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I do not hold any hope of actually winning anything in the YOMD giveaway. My guess is that most people don't expect to win either, and that's may be why the promotion is not producing the kind of results that management was hoping for.

Hope this doesn't seem like too much of a downer, it's just how I see it.

I'm not going to say it's a scam, but I just don't see the reasoning for this promotion. The purpose of any promotion for Disney is to get more people to make reservations and buy park passes. If you assume this is the case with YOMD, then they want people coming to DL/WDW hoping or expecting to win. The fact of the matter....most people won't win anything...not even the nearly 1 million trinkets.

Now, I've heard many people say that people shouldn't go down to DL/WDW expecting to win.....so then what was the point?

If Disney did this hoping people would think they might actually win something knowing that wasn't the case...then this might be a scam.

IdahoMike
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I won the lanyard/pin set coming out of Frontierland the first week of January. The CM had the large duffel bag, but I was the very first person she awarded the prize too, before the mob showed up, so that was pretty cool.

Darkbeer
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
The Dream Fastpasses are dated, and only good for the day issued.

They have tabs on them, so you get one use per FP attraction. (Of course, you can always get a second FP using your ticket in the machines for a later return time).

geoffa
02-07-2007, 02:59 AM
You could always try mailing in for a prize. See Darkbeer's original posting:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60858&highlight=YEAR+MILLION+DREAMS

raediance
02-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Wow. They have tabs for EVERY SINGLE RIDE? That's a good list. =]