PDA

View Full Version : Sick on the Sun Wheel?

grimgrinningirl
02-06-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm going to DL/DCA in a couple days and am thinking about trying a rocking car on the sun wheel. I'm worried, though, because I've gotten sick on the big dragon swing at Knott's and was wondering if the rocking sensation is anything like that. Has anyone ever gotten sick on this ride? I like most thrill rides, it's just that swinging that can get to me, and I've ridden the Sun Wheel before (non-moving car) and was fine. What do you think? Should I try it or pass?

stan4d_steph
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I would recommend going on a fixed car.

VickiC
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
They have barf bags in every car for a reason.

raediance
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
this is one of my favorite rides. i'm a non-rollercoaster girl, and i've never gotten sick. i rode on a non-swinging one this weekend, and it was a little boring. but still okay. i love the swinging ones though. =]

Rteneyck
02-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I never use to get quesy on any ride, but I hate the dragon swinga now. It seems as I have gotten older, something about spinning rides (like the teacups) or rides that make large swings back and forth make me sick now, but not when I was younger. The sun wheel however didn't bother me too much.

Lani
02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I never use to get quesy on any ride, but I hate the dragon swinga now. It seems as I have gotten older, something about spinning rides (like the teacups) or rides that make large swings back and forth make me sick now, but not when I was younger. The sun wheel however didn't bother me too much.

It's hard once you feel ill on a ride, because then you associate that nauseous feeling with the ride. One thing that might help on things like the dragon rides is to remember to look FAR AWAY. It's a lot like trying to avoid seasickness. Your inner ear and sense of balance get thrown off when you're rocked around like that, and when people are feeling ill on boats the thing to do is to look far out into the horizon so you have something to look at to ground you. For things like the tea cups, trying to find some object to look at nearby... turning your head when you to but keeping your eyes fixed on the object, also helps from feeling dizzy and feeling nauseous.

Ballerinas do this when they pirouette... they keep their head facing one direction, then turn their heads quickly, but immediately go back to looking in the same direction. It might help!

Rteneyck
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
It's hard once you feel ill on a ride, because then you associate that nauseous feeling with the ride. One thing that might help on things like the dragon rides is to remember to look FAR AWAY. It's a lot like trying to avoid seasickness. Your inner ear and sense of balance get thrown off when you're rocked around like that, and when people are feeling ill on boats the thing to do is to look far out into the horizon so you have something to look at to ground you. For things like the tea cups, trying to find some object to look at nearby... turning your head when you to but keeping your eyes fixed on the object, also helps from feeling dizzy and feeling nauseous.

Ballerinas do this when they pirouette... they keep their head facing one direction, then turn their heads quickly, but immediately go back to looking in the same direction. It might help!

I will have to try that. My dd always gets upset when I won't go on the teacups. That could be a solution. Thanks for the advice.

jcruise86
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
. . . My dd always gets upset when I won't go on the teacups. . .
If she pressures you to ride the teacups she is not your "dd," but your "ed.":~D

(Evil daughter! EEEEEEEEEvil I tells ya!)

gibson510
02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
The rocking car is the scariest ride in that whole park.--I'm deathly afraid of heights--

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with gibson510. While I can do rides like TOT etc., the rocking cars, heck just the stationary cars, on the Sun Wheel scare the crap out of me!

IdahoMike
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I like most thrill rides, but the orange car on the Sun Wheel was not very fun for us (my 4 y/o went on it too, he hated it!), but we sure do enjoy the red cars.

Lekta
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree with gibson510. While I can do rides like TOT etc., the rocking cars, heck just the stationary cars, on the Sun Wheel scare the crap out of me!

I'm with ya, all the other rides in both parks are a breeze, except that darn Sun Wheel. The wife and I were in a stationary one and we were scared stiff at the top of the wheel trying not to move a muscle.;)

geoffa
02-07-2007, 03:25 AM
The sun wheel is fun but if you are at all sensitive to motion sickness go for the fixed cars. No point in ruining your day.

TinaMouse
02-07-2007, 05:12 AM
No, No, No! Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. (Thanks, Dana Carvey) Just watching that thing gave me pause. There's NO way I'd ride on a swinging car!

Drince88
02-07-2007, 05:18 AM
I don't have motion sickness issues in most situations. I will NOT ride the swinging cars on the sun wheel again. My sister who has similar tastes and stomach, is with me on that. One thing, though, if heights are your problem and not the swinging - the stationary cars go higher. I LOVE the view from the top, so I use that as justification for going on the non-swinging!

autumnbottom
02-07-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm an adventerous gal and and ride the Maliboomer, California Screamin', and Tower of Terror with impunity. But when my husband and I rode the Sun Wheel in a moving car, i thought i was going to die. I screamed like a little girl (and not in a good way!) and clutched at that wire cage and my husband for dear life. Honestly, it was a horrible experience!

However, i've ridden in the fixed cars and that's fantastic. What a view!

raediance
02-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm an adventerous gal and and ride the Maliboomer, California Screamin', and Tower of Terror with impunity. But when my husband and I rode the Sun Wheel in a moving car, i thought i was going to die. I screamed like a little girl (and not in a good way!) and clutched at that wire cage and my husband for dear life. Honestly, it was a horrible experience!

However, i've ridden in the fixed cars and that's fantastic. What a view!
I'm just the opposite. I can't ride Maliboomer, California Screamin', or Tower of Terror. But I love Sun Wheel - swinging gondolas and all.

sandiegorob
02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I enjoy the swinging cars, the fixed ones bore me. I've had one bad experience where someone tossed their cookies in a swinging gondola just below me. We were stuck for 20 minutes while they cleaned it up. The temp was around 40 degrees and we were freezing.

grimgrinningirl
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't want to toss my cookies, get stuck or spend the whole ride clutching the cage, so I think I will pass and stick with the virtual views of Soarin' - I'm taking my 11 year old birthday girl and that's one of her favorites :)

Malcon10t
02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I used to do the swinging gondolas, then one trip around New Years, we were there late at night with 3 of my kids who decided they wanted to see if they could loop it..... Lets add we had just rode Screamin 2x in pouring rain, and it was still raining.... After that ride, I left the park (other kids stayed) and laid down... It wasn't pleasant. Now I stick to the red gondolas.

Rapunzelthorn
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Is it really possible to "loop" the cars? That would be terrifying. :eek:

Malcon10t
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Is it really possible to "loop" the cars? That would be terrifying. :eek:
No, but they like to try and prove the impossible. And needless to say, it was the last time for me. Now I babysit the dog, who has to ride in the red gondolas....

cemeinke
02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
The Sun Wheel was the one ride in a Disney Park that actually made me quesy - though the warm sprite may have been a contributing factor. I rode it since then and enjoyed it much more.